Thread: The Mental Health Thread

Yeah I've not long been back on them. They're definitely helping but last night was just a mess
    Got: Left Ear: Lobe (19mm/5mm/1.6mm), 4xhelix, 5mm conch

Right Ear: Lobe (19mm/5mm/1.6mm), inner helix, orbital (Top)

Other: 4xtongue (2/2.4/3.2mm), septum

I'm a mess again and I don't want to be alive, yaaaaaaay.
    Bits of me that have been stabbed
    8mm lobes
    2nd lobes
    left rook
    right helix & tragus
    right conch
    paired nostrils
    philtrum
    nape MD
    nipples

Tumblr
    /Facebook/Twitter

I think I have anxiety.
    I'm not depressed - I'm happy. But I just have this horrid sense of dread most of the time.

I have a lot going on right now, two people I love are depressed (one to a horrendous degree) and two people I love have cancer and I'm trying to keep it together through uni too. It's a lot of stress but something I can deal with.
    My issue is when I have any extra stress on top of this - I'm paralysed. I'm crying, it feels like I can't breathe, I'm wanting to be sick, I'm feeling faint, I'm shaky, I'm scratching myself so hard I bleed, I'm pulling out hair and this happens whenever I have extra stress added. Thank the lord for tangles because mine has been an absolute LIFE SAVER.

I can't take away the base amount of anxiety/stress I have - I sadly can't invent a cure for cancer or depression so thats never going to go away but I just think I need some help numbing it (For want of a better phrase) a little? If that amount of base stress was lessened I could deal with everything so much better :( is it worth seeing a doctor for? I have a terrible phobia of doctors and it would make me worse to go see one but would the pay off be worth it?

I know this house is a major trigger. I can't eat here. When I'm very anxious I feel sick, and the first thing to go when I feel sick is my appetite. I hate living here and I have cried, several times, at the thought of going back.

I rang mum earlier and I just wanted support but I couldn't get the words out to ask for it.
    I can cope, and it's not an issue of not coping, but I just wish it was a little easier for me? and that I had people I could properly confide in - ugh I need to start keeping a diary.

I'm too scared to leave my bed, despite really needing the bathroom and probably needing to eat. I couldn't even go to the supermarket this afternoon because it was too much to ask, so I haven't had a drink since 4 o'clock. I HATE it here, I hate living here with all my heart.

I CAN HEAR YOU WORD FOR WORD STFU
    You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.

Ginny Weasley

MERCI POUR LE VENIN

That's def something a doctor could help you with... Can you go see a psychologist, that can write you a prescription and provide therapy that's not in a scary medical setting? Maybe even a social worker could help you?
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -Winston Churchill

Current: 4x lobes, left industrial, right helix, right nostril, left conch, 2x diagonal(ish) nipples, right daith, left surface tragus

Tats: 3 hours, 2 pieces

Quote Originally Posted by Thehorror View Post
    That's def something a doctor could help you with... Can you go see a psychologist, that can write you a prescription and provide therapy that's not in a scary medical setting? Maybe even a social worker could help you?
    Agreed, the way it works here though is that you have to see your GP (general doctor) first who can then refer you. In some cases you can self refer to free therapy if you have it locally. Otherwise you're looking at going private and spending a lot of money. Many colleges/universities have counsellors available but some may have long waiting lists and they can't prescribe.

But yes, Rosa anxiety can be a completely debilitating illness that requires medical intervention when it's affecting quality of life.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

thanks guys <3

I'm not sure how much uni could help me, after all we only have 3 and a half weeks of teaching time left before summer break (how?! How has it gone so fast!) And I know the DSO (disability support office) is fairly busy all the time so I'd imagine counselling services also would be, especially as assignments are starting to be due in.

Ugh I know I need to go see a doctor but I don't know when - I am debating on waiting until easter break (20th) going home, registering for a doctors back home, and sorting it all out there when I have three weeks to do it. I REALLY don't want to see a doctor in Manchester/Salford especially if I'm going to be moving home next month(!)

I genuinely don't know how much therapy can help me, CBT works wonders on me but I apply what I learned through that a lot and I don't know if it's worth having more of it. I honestly would rather be medicated, if I can find something that's just going to take away just this base level of stress, that is the reason I'm finding a lot of things so difficult, then I think I'd be able to cope way better until everything that is causing me so much stress (the house, people being very sick and assignments in general) gets resolved =/

I'm just finding a lot of stupid and trivial things difficult at the moment and that's not okay :( I shouldn't have to force myself to eat the way I had to the other day. And I shouldn't be crying about coming back to a house. ugh.
    You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.

Ginny Weasley

MERCI POUR LE VENIN

I've got a friend who's on medication for anxiety and it seems to be really working for him. He's also having councilling as well though, to help talk through the things he's finding stressful; he says the combination is really useful. He was offered the chance to finish his councilling early, but opted to keep going with it even though he's feeling great right now.

Maybe talking to someone would help? I'm not saying instead of medication if you think that's the right path for you, but would it be worth checking out the councilling service at your uni? Quite a few friends of mine have used it and it's really helped (some for anxiety, others for stress, depression, etc.; they even have a daily drop in if you just need a one off rant about how hard you're finding uni or whatever).
    Piercings
    3x Standard Lobe
    1x 4mm Lobe
    2x Helix
    1x Rook
    2x Navel

1x Nipple
    1x Faux Snug (1x Conch/1x Helix)
    1x Triangle
    1x Septum
    1x Daith

Tattoos
    Side Piece; 5.5 hours

Other
    1x Magnetic Implant

Quote Originally Posted by Rosasaurr View Post
    I'm just finding a lot of stupid and trivial things difficult at the moment and that's not okay :( I shouldn't have to force myself to eat the way I had to the other day. And I shouldn't be crying about coming back to a house. ugh.
    See, this is the problem. It's the same as telling someone with depression to "cheer up".

It doesn't matter what gives you anxiety or why, if it's becoming a problem, it needs addressing.

More CBT may help, talking therapy may help, medication may help or a combination of those or none, or something else. You won't know until you try.

I won't even go into what gives me anxiety because it can be quite frankly embarrassing and this forum is public but I know it's because of my illness, not that I'm being silly or over-reacting.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Same, it's easy to get stuck thinking it's your fault, but it's not. It's an illness that can be treated.

therapy helped me but honestly I didn't thrive until I was medicated. But that's me. Just do what you need to!
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -Winston Churchill

Current: 4x lobes, left industrial, right helix, right nostril, left conch, 2x diagonal(ish) nipples, right daith, left surface tragus

On a positive note, today when my italian professor found out I was dyslexic she couldn't believe it. I love that I am dyslexic, but that I can read and write well enough that people don't realize it, and that I can learn foreign languages! The years and years and years of working my a** off have paid off in a big way