Thread: Microdermal removal

Default Microdermal removal

I absolutely *adore* my nape piercing but it isn't taking very well - 2 weeks after piercing, it's still red and stuff even though i'm cleaning it properly etc.

I knew this would happen :( i can just tell it's going to reject.

I was thinking of microdermals as a more permanent alternative but i'm worried about the removal. I've seen some on youtube where they just wiggle it about and out it pops and i've seen others where the piercer was full on slicing the skin in every direction to cut the damn thing out (it was so gruesome!)
    What are microdermal removals realistically like? As muchlater in my life i'm obviously not going to be wanting them anymore...

Scarred_pierced

It's literally the same as putting them in, just popping them back out after the wriggling. The video you saw of it being cut out was a girl who went to a hospital stupidly and the doctors didn't know how to remove them so cut them out.

Also don't give up on the nape after 2 weeks!! It's still a new piercing, of course its still going to be red! Give it like 6 more weeks!!!

The new microdermals mostly do require cutting out, because they have a large hole in the base plate that actually allows the dermis to anchor properly. The older ones just pop out because they rarely anchor.

Either way, it's not much more painful than having them put in. Just make sure you go to someone who is experienced with the removal and can do so as painlessly and efficiently as possible (ie. not a hospital)
    Last edited by bigredfish; 09-12-2010 at 09:55 PM.

ah cool what about skin divers? they dont require cutting out do they? though my piercer said they may not be any more permanent than a nape, cause they can easily get caught on things and get pulled out? =/

Skin divers are generally considered to be less stable than microdermals because there is less to hold them in the skin. Microdermals aren't necessarily permanent either though - I've had 9 reject over the years, all in different locations, using two different insertion methods, and with two kinds designs of jewellery...

Aside from the skill of your piercer, the main factor for retaining a nape piercing of any sort is anatomical suitability. You need enough loose skin to pierce comfortably, and for your neck not to crease at that spot. Then you have to consider your clothes catching on it... If all of these factors are present and correct, you probably have just as much chance of retaining a standard surface nape piercing.

You may want to think of how easy you want it to be taken out too. I'm sticking to surface bars, because I want to be able to take it out at home if difficulties arise or if I don't want it anymore. But if you don't mind going in to have it removed, then that shouldn't be an issue at all.
    Piercings
    Current: lobes x2, cartilage, lip.
    Retired: ear weave/spiral & nape.
    Coming Soon: nape.

I don't mind going in to have it removed - i just dont like the idea of being scalpelled :P