Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Boots and other pharmacies selling morning after pill online??

Most pharmacies sell it over the counter anyway, so I don't see the problem.

I think the difference between getting it in person is that they usually ask you to take it in front of them (not 100% sure on that. Whereas buying it online and getting it through the post means anyone could take it.

I think as sex education is simply shocking in this country and unwanted pregnancies so high then this is a good idea. I totally agree that people shouldn't use it as a form of contraception. The thing is those 17 and under will struggle to buy it themselves as they won't have a credit or debit card (unless they're offering some other payment option) so they will usually have to get an adult to buy it for them.

Most larger towns and cities have several health clinics, walk in centres and pharmacies open late that will give the MAP out to anyone so I also don't see what the big deal is, getting it online will just be another method and it will probably be used as a 'just in case' after all what if it went missing in the post? It's not going to cause a massive rise in unprotected sex at all, just typical mass hysteria crap from the media.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

I bought it a couple of times from Boots when I was younger. They never asked me to take it in the store... You can buy all sorts of pharmaceuticals online and you usually have to agree to terms and conditions, stating who the medication is for. Admittedly you could abuse this, but I don't see why anyone would want to in this case.

I think making the morning after pill more widely available is a good thing, but then I'm firmly pro choice. I'd much rather people aborted their unwanted pregnancies than burdening the state with them, and/or bringing up a child they don't want.

People will make the argument that it promotes promiscuity. It's the same argument that people tried to use against the HPV vaccination, and providing free contraception to minors... But at the end of the day, promiscuity is already the norm and I doubt this will change any time soon. For the sake of the well informed indivdual who has a genuine accident (condom breaks, etc) the morning pill should be widely available.

You also have to consider that by the time they've posted the thing out to you, it could well be too late for it to be effective. This makes me think that they're not going to get many sales.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredfish View Post
    You also have to consider that by the time they've posted the thing out to you, it could well be too late for it to be effective. This makes me think that they're not going to get many sales.
    The site I get my normal pill from so I can have it sent over here (cos Korea isn't big on oral contraception) suggests that the Morning After Pill is bought and stored just in case rather than waiting until you need it!!

This is the section on their site about it:
    "Accidents happen! If you are sexually active and rely upon condoms for contraception it is possible that you could experience the trauma of a split condom. It is sensible to plan for this event and this can now be done by obtaining a supply of the morning after pill confidentially and without embarrassment.
    Our service is not suitable for women who are under 18 years of age. Our doctors will assess if our service is suitable for you from your answers to our questionnaire.
    This service is not suitable if you need the morning after pill now because you think you have had unprotected sex. You should visit your pharmacy or GP immediately in that instance."
    Current:
    Right ear: 2x lobe, industrial, inner conch
    Left ear: 2x lobe, 3x helix, tragus
    Navel, Tongue, VCH, Nipples vertical
    Retired:
    Nipples horizontal, Fourchette
    Tattoos:
    30ish from head to toe, with too many gaps inbetween!
    Brands:
    Linked hearts
    Coming soon:
    Forward helix

I bought it a couple of times from Boots when I was younger. They never asked me to take it in the store...
    Ah that's interesting to know, I got it from a pharmacy once and they said I had to take it there and then, but as you say anything can end up being abused!

I think it's probably going to be used most likely by older women or parents to have in the house 'just in case' rather than as it's typically used at the moment as in a mad dash to get it as soon as possible after the act. Either way, I'm all for it.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by redraven View Post
    Ah that's interesting to know, I got it from a pharmacy once and they said I had to take it there and then, but as you say anything can end up being abused!

I think it's probably going to be used most likely by older women or parents to have in the house 'just in case' rather than as it's typically used at the moment as in a mad dash to get it as soon as possible after the act. Either way, I'm all for it.
    agreed, if i go back on the bill id have one in teh house on the off chance i lost track of the pill or soemthing

I know a friend who asked her collegue to buy the MAP for her because she was too embarassed to buy it!
    One reason buying iyt on-line and having it handy is a good idea, it saves people who are too embarassed to ask for it from just crossing their fingers and hoping for then best instead.

All the pharmacist at Boots asked her was when she'd had unprotected sex!
    She didn't even ask to take her blood pressure or any of the normal lifestyle questions they ask at the doctors when you go for a check up for the normal pill!!
    She certainly didn't have to take it in front of them!!

PS: That's exactly what had happened to my friend, she missed her normal pill and paniced!!!
    Current:
    Retired:
    Tattoos:
    Brands:
    Linked hearts
    Coming soon:
    Forward helix

I can't really understand why anybody would be too nervous to go and buy one (or go to a walk-in centre etc). If you're that worried, bite the bullet and get it sorted... Surely?

I can't really understand why anybody would be too nervous to go and buy one (or go to a walk-in centre etc). If you're that worried, bite the bullet and get it sorted... Surely?
    Same here, after all it would be harder work either carrying and having a baby or having a termination...

I think so too but my friend was absolutely petrified of going herself.
    She'd apparently gone to two different Boots herself and chickened out of asking because there were other people at the counter and she didn't want them judging her!!!
    Current:
    Retired:
    Tattoos:
    Brands:
    Linked hearts
    Coming soon:
    Forward helix

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast