Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Boots and other pharmacies selling morning after pill online??

Default Boots and other pharmacies selling morning after pill online??

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...seeing-GP.html

Lloyds pharmacy already do

.But surely this is a good thing so that sensible girls can keep one handy just in case, i mean you lot on the pill its quite easy to miss one or be ill and then its like you havent taken one - would you take one for the added peace of mind?

It will be at a cost of 25 so it could never be relied on as the only form on contraception. "This would encourage them to think of it as a safety mechanism and this may well promote greater promiscuity. "

"The morning after pill is also fuelling an epidemic of sexually transmitted diseases as people just think they can have unprotected sex"

do they really? surely the side effects and time spent getting the pill makes it infeasible to use it that way? and you can only have it so often and its not 100% effective

discuss
    Last edited by bekki2308; 08-15-2010 at 09:05 AM.

At first glance it looks like it could leave it open to more abuse, but I guess the kind of people likely to abuse it (and unfortunately there are definitely some idiotic people who do think it's fine to just keep taking on a regular basis whenever they're too drunk to use a condom) would be able to get it from multiple sources anyway even if it wasn't sold online - and like you said, they could be getting it for free from the usual sources. I'm not against the idea of selling it online anyway.

Personally, I've never taken it & wouldn't buy one just in case. I'm obsessive about taking my pill as perfectly as possible and have only missed one once in over 5 years. Even though there's a 12 hour window before my pill is counted as missed, I'll still use condoms even if I've only taken it a few hours late. So I just can't see myself being in the position where I'd need it.

Senior Member .Only.Streetlights.'s Avatar

The concept of 'abusing contraception' is a very subjective one, as it's purely about personal choice and moral value. You often hear people talking about abortion and how 'it should not be used as a form of contraception' (which I agree with) but it is possible to use it as a method if someone chooses to and it's a personal choice. The same with the morning after pill and many others. My issue with it all is that because some people do have different views about what they should or should not be doing with their bodies, these things become unavailable to anyone. Anything you put in place will be 'abused' in the eyes of some, but to make it unavailable to anyone because of that needs to be thought about. Risk is something that is always present, you just have to know how to manage it.

For me contraception needs to be universally available in all pharmacies, supermarkets, corner shops, post offices, doctors surgeries etc and where possible, free. So a logical thing is to have it available online - my only issue would be is that the longer you leave it to take that morning after pill, the less effective it is so it has to be advertised correctly as something you have 'just in case' and not to be relied upon so you wake up next to a stranger and can't find a condom in the bin and don't assume you can buy that and you'll be safe when it arrives in the post 2 days later.

Considering how atrocious sex education is, and how ignorant our society is in general, no one can be surprised that people are confused about what the different types of contraception are capable of and do. In the field I work in it's obvious to see that huge sections of society have not had appropriate sex education - and while it is down to personal responsibility, it's very easy to see why the myths of contraception and a generally laissez faire attitude are taken to STIs and pregnancy.
    Last edited by .Only.Streetlights.; 08-15-2010 at 10:25 AM.
    Queen C aka Cazaclysmic

I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. -Stephen Roberts

Other sites have been selling the morning after pill on-line for ages.

Because I'm stuck over here in Korea I have to order my normal pill on-line because they don't have it here. It's kinda thought one pill fits all here and it's a combined pill which isn't suitable for me, so I had to find a way around it.
    I noticed when I ordered my first lot of the mini-pill the same site offered the morning after pill for sale.
    Then when I got my order there was a letter in there offering me 15% off an order of the morning after pill in their words "sometimes it's just handy to have a back up plan!"!!

They were basically saying sometimes accidents happen and getting to the doctor or a pharmacy isn't possible so women should be prepared and this is an option.

I will say that this site does ask a lot of questions and your answers are passed on to a doctor before a final decision is made.
    They asked more questions about my health and lifestyle than the Korean doctor did who basically asked me to tell him what I wanted and then printed a perscription for the nearest thing they have here without even checking my blood pressure or asking if I was happy swopping to a combined pill or if there are health reasons for me wanting the mini pill in the first place!

Yes some people may abuse it but you can do the same by buying it at the chemists!!
    Current:
    Right ear: 2x lobe, industrial, inner conch
    Left ear: 2x lobe, 3x helix, tragus
    Navel, Tongue, VCH, Nipples vertical
    Retired:
    Nipples horizontal, Fourchette
    Tattoos:
    30ish from head to toe, with too many gaps inbetween!
    Brands:
    Linked hearts
    Coming soon:
    Forward helix

Whats wrong with going to the GP now days? If it gets into the wrong hands like one of my old friends did. She never rememberd to take the pill and never used condoms so kept taking the morning after pill that completely messed her up. Its a good idea just to keep handy incase something happens and you know your are not ready to have children as accidents can happen but its not healthy to be taken alot, but maybe there should be a proof of age thing if ordering online? But then that could also be a debate in itself as young teens who are illegally having intercourse might want it and the rise of teenage pregnancies etc can get it more easily online? I dunno, if they think they are old/mature enough to have sex then they are able to go to a GP/pharmacy. I dont really think there is a need for it to be sold online, and isnt it free from the GP or is there an age thing?
    Love (lŭv) n. ; Giving someone the power to destroy you.
    13 piercings.
    No tattoos yet.

8mm lobe and 6mm lobe & 2 bog standard ear piercings & 1 helix/rim at the top in left ear & a industrial/scaffold.

Vertical Labret.
    Double Navel.
    Tongue.
    Septum.
    Nipples.

Retired: Left side of lip.

it is free from the GP, but you have to be able to get an appointment and then go get it. If you're at school/work donig that within the short window is difficult . Teens are having sex if i had a teenage daughter id buy her a pill and keep it in the house just in case

My doctor in the UK had a waiting time of over two weeks for a doctor and at least one for a nurse! I always joked that is you wanted to be sick you had to know at least three weeks in advance to make an appointment!!
    These appointment times mean it's just not practical!!
    Current:
    Retired:
    Tattoos:
    Brands:
    Linked hearts
    Coming soon:
    Forward helix

Quote Originally Posted by katielou View Post
    My doctor in the UK had a waiting time of over two weeks for a doctor and at least one for a nurse! I always joked that is you wanted to be sick you had to know at least three weeks in advance to make an appointment!!
    These appointment times mean it's just not practical!!
    Ohmy, thats just terrible! By the time you get your appointment your illness would probably have gone. I can now understand why it would be a good idea for the morning after pill would be sold online being sold online.
    13 piercings.
    No tattoos yet.

8mm lobe and 6mm lobe & 2 bog standard ear piercings & 1 helix/rim at the top in left ear & a industrial/scaffold.

Vertical Labret.
    Double Navel.
    Tongue.
    Septum.
    Nipples.

I gave up even trying to go to the doctor when I was ill because I was normally well again by the time I got my appointment!
    Luckily I'm normally a very healthy person so it wasn't that much of an issue for me and I booked at least a month in advance for my pill check ups.

But it would have been no good to me had I ever needed a doctor quickly!!! Like in the case of needing the morning after pill!
    True in those cases you could just go to a pharmacy but what if you live out in the middle of nowhere and your local pharmacy doesn't open Saturday/Sunday as many in the country don't. Then the pills effectiveness will be reduced!
    Current:
    Retired:
    Tattoos:
    Brands:
    Linked hearts
    Coming soon:
    Forward helix

Quote Originally Posted by katielou View Post
    I gave up even trying to go to the doctor when I was ill because I was normally well again by the time I got my appointment!
    Luckily I'm normally a very healthy person so it wasn't that much of an issue for me and I booked at least a month in advance for my pill check ups.

But it would have been no good to me had I ever needed a doctor quickly!!! Like in the case of needing the morning after pill!
    True in those cases you could just go to a pharmacy but what if you live out in the middle of nowhere and your local pharmacy doesn't open Saturday/Sunday as many in the country don't. Then the pills effectiveness will be reduced!
    Wow, I thought my doctors were bad :/ Im in the UK and if i want a nurse, i have to book about 2/3 weeks in advance but to see a doctor, if i call in the morning, they will book an appointment but half the time I go and end up sitting there for 2 hours to get seen :/

And yeah, we arent allowed to be ill on the weekends lol I cant believe you have to book for check ups a month in advance! And I agree with you on that note, that you cant find a pill from no where so online would be the best option for that case, but its just wether its going into the right hands.
    13 piercings.
    No tattoos yet.

Vertical Labret.
    Double Navel.
    Tongue.
    Septum.
    Nipples.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast