Thread: Thinking of a Daith

Red face Thinking of a Daith

Wondering if anyone could tell me about their experiences with getting them done. My friend had hers done, but she took it out 2-3 days later because the swelling got really bad. :/ Do they swell a lot in general? What is aftercare like? Dos and donts? How is it pierced? Anybody have some pictures of theirs or some good ones? How bad is the pain? (I know, everyone has a different pain tolerance, but compared to a helix, worse or not?)

Also, should I wait even longer to get it? I got my helix done a little over a month ago (first piercing, already craving more! ahh!!!) but just recently it has gotten a small bump. It is going down slowly, but there is some still there. :P Would a piercer still pierce my daith if I had a bump on another piercing? Well, a good piercer that is. I would like to get it in the same ear, for comfort purposes(sleeping soaking ect). Is a month too soon after to be getting a new piercing?

If I decide against the daith for whatever reason, I was thinking on another helix or maybe transverse lobes :O Those are so hard to find info on though....meh I wouldnt get it for a long while though. ^^
    Have::
    smiley
    conch stretched to 6ga so far
    upper lobe
    one lip on left side.
    shamrock ink on ankle.
    horse & heart ink on calf

Had::
    one helix.
    one forward helix

Want::
    another lip piercing
    more in ears
    Anti-eyebrow dermals
    belly once I reach my goal weight
    hip dermals
    chest dermals possibly
    and whatever else crosses my mind.....
    more tattoos !

hey i can't answer all your questions but i got my daith done a few weeks ago and this was my experience -

pain: it hurt a lot for me. just a lot of pressure. but then it was over and only ached a little for a day or 2 and it hasn't given me any trouble since.

swelling: as far as i could tell it didn't swell at all really.

aftercare: well there is a thread on here actually that i posted (you could probably look it up under my username) where people have posted tips. i couldnt work out how to clean it! but since then, i've been using salt water on cotton wool to soak and then going around the jewellery with a cotton bud. they say to do it twice a day but i only really do it once. i like to leave it alone and it seems to be doing really well.
    also - you could probably get it on the other ear if you wanted. i could sleep on it pretty much straight away. it's tucked away in your ear so it doesnt touch the pillow. well...in my case anyway.

hope that helped answer some of your questions

You can have 3-4 piercings healing at once so there shouldn't be a reason not to get another if you've only got a helix healing already!
    You've already been sensible and thought about sleeping and decided to get it done on the same ear so I can't see an issue with it!
    Just be prepared for some swelling!!!
    Current:
    Right ear: 2x lobe, industrial, inner conch
    Left ear: 2x lobe, 3x helix, tragus
    Navel, Tongue, VCH, Nipples vertical
    Retired:
    Nipples horizontal, Fourchette
    Tattoos:
    30ish from head to toe, with too many gaps inbetween!
    Brands:
    Linked hearts
    Coming soon:
    Forward helix

I'd only had about 5 piercings at the point at which I got my daith.. I booked it and expected it to be bad but I had no idea just how.

The moment I exhaled I could have died, the pressure and pain was awful, my piercer is thankfully a god but it still was the most unpleasant experience of my life thus far. Healing was pretty easy.. leave it the hell alone for at least the first week or so. if you mess on this one swells like a bitch and my hearing even got a bit muffled at one point because of swelling. The bumps aren't too bad with this one but they do stop you changing the rings as often as most other piercings. I found it wasn't too bad a healer when I got it to the 3 month stage.
    James.
    Septum, Left Helix, Rook, Nostril, Daith & Right Conch.
    4 Tattoos

Retired:
    3 Lobes. 2 Tragus, Navel.

rjs

Mine was fine, it barely hurt at all. Didn't swell much but it did get quite bad bumps, which are finally going away now after having it for about 9 months. I've been cleaning it by soaking it in a wine glass of SSS which seems to work quite well. I wouldn't expect to change the jewellery for at the very least 6 months.

thanks guys.
    Im about to get a bit of cash in a few days so I'm thinking maybe getting another piercing with it. Either daith or another helix. Im about to start college and im on a horse riding team there so I need to make sure my helmet wont kill the area. If it does, I'll just wait two years till I graduate and get it then. :P I doubt that swelling would be gone for good in two weeks anyway.

I may have some more questions after I check to make sure it would be wise for me to get one now. xD
    Have::
    smiley
    conch stretched to 6ga so far
    upper lobe
    one lip on left side.
    shamrock ink on ankle.
    horse & heart ink on calf

Had::
    one helix.
    one forward helix

Want::
    another lip piercing
    more in ears
    Anti-eyebrow dermals
    belly once I reach my goal weight
    hip dermals
    chest dermals possibly
    and whatever else crosses my mind.....
    more tattoos !

I love love love my daith piercing! It's probz healed the best out of all my cartilage piercings. It barely swelled but the piercing itself was pretty painful coz as you can imagine it's quite a fiddly one to pierce and get the jewellery in so got a bit uncomfortable but nothing I couldn't handle really. Aftercare was easy enough, I just used SSS on some cotton wool, very gently. I did unfortunately develop 'bumps' both sides of the piercing (ftr, this is really common with cartilage piercings, your piercer shouldn't refuse to pierce you just coz you have them on another piercing) and you're supposed to just treat them with SSS compresses and maybe tea tree oil but I usually resort to popping them (which I don't recommend, big no-no, don't follow my example, I'm a bad person). As for other no-no's...earphones that go in your ear can be quite a pain, I invested in ones that hook over your ear, much better =]

Overall...daiths are AWESOME, look amazing and I wouldn't be put off by your mate's experience; everyone is different and if you're determined to get it then you'll just have to be prepared to put up with the slight hassle of a fiddly cartilage piercing. It will be worth it in the end. They're darn pretty =]
    Left ear - 3 x lobe, pinna, f/ward helix, daith, inner conch, outer conch, 12mm lobe
    Right ear - 3 x lobe, rook, tragus, conch, 2x pinna, 12mm lobe
    Others - double nostril, tongue, both nipples (diagonal), inverse navel, medusa, eyebrow, 2.4 septum, 2x MDs on collarbones
    Future - vertical labret, re-pierce smiley, dahlias

"Think from outside the box, collapse the box and take a f*cking sharp knife to it"