Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tips for sitting through larger pieces

Default Tips for sitting through larger pieces

I plucked up the courage and finally went and booked in for my backpiece!!!!!!!!!! I'm getting it done by Loz at Cookies in Worcester, in the middle of August.

I've always put it off because I thought it would be better to get smaller pieces first before I go for the big one, but this is the only tattoo I know I want 110%, whereas all the others I keep changing my mind about.. so I thought "F*CK IT!", might as well just go for it!

Oh, and its going to be a massive japanese style backpiece featuring a phoenix-peacock-bird type thing.... colourful and epic and awesome! I'm booked in for the entire day, just to get the outline done, but he said it could take a couple of hours to draw it on, as a lot of it will be freehanded to fit the shape of my back.

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH I can't believe I've done it!! Now I've just got to try and get the day off work. Ooops.

---

Basically, I've only had one tattoo before that took about 15 minutes. I enjoyed the experience and wasn't put off by the pain. I've been reading up about coping through long tattoo sessions, but if anyone wants to throw in any more tips I would appreciate it!

The general consensus seems to be: drink lots of water, eat a big meal before hand, and take breaks.

Any more?
    IAM: hetty
    I has Facebook

I have:
    16mm lobes x2 / 1.6mm lobes x4 / 1.6mm scaffold / 1.2mm helix / 1.6mm conch x3 / 1.2mm snakebites / 2mm tongue / 1.6mm horizontal nipples x2 / 1.6mm VCH
    Omega symbol on my nape! 15-07-09 (20 mins)
    Dotwork ohm symbol on my leg! 08/08/10 (3 hrs)
    Pheonix backpiece! 20/08/10 (4 & 1/2 hrs) 18/09/10 (6 hrs) 30/10/10 (5 hrs) 04/12/10 (4 hrs)
    10/01/11 (4 hrs) 12/02/11 (6 & 1/2 hrs) 18/03/11 (2 & 1/2 hrs)
    Little duck on foot! 02/03/11 (5 mins)

I GOT MODBLOGGED!!!

I found it much easier when I closed my eyes and let my mind wander to other thoughts, and when he went over particularly painful parts I concentrated on my breathing in for four out for four lol just to keep my mind occupied on something other than pain seemed to help. Also not clenching your hands or feet so your body is as relaxed as possible.
    Hey there you can call me Alix

have:
    lobe x6 (1 at 12mm 1 at 11mm),right tragus,left helix x2,left nostril,tongue,septum, inverse navel

retired:
    lobe x4,helix x2,navel, conch :(

want:
    right rook, left daith, industrial right ear, Two more navel, my conch again if the cartilage ever heals

The best thing to do is make sure you have lots of fluids to take in with you to keep yourself hydrated, I also take sugary snacks with me when I'm having long sessions.

Make sure you are dressed to suit the weather and the studios heating/air con! Even though it's super hot here at the moment when I go for my next session on my tattoo tomorrow I am taking a sweater cos their air conditioning makes the studio practically Artic!! Tattooing someone who is shivering is not an easy job!! Also if it's not air conditioned and it's going to be a hot day you don't want to sit there swaeting either.
    This just makes the experience more comfortable than anything else.

As the OP suggests concentrate on your breathing during the tattooing, I almost meditate through bigger pieces, somehow I manage to get myself so into the zone I have fallen asleep!

Perhaps take your iPod for the times when you need to drown out the noise of the tattoo machine, it doesn't bother me I find it soothing but one of my friends finds it gives her a headache.

Whatever you do try not to tense up because that just makes it hurt more. Try to stay as relaxed as possible.

Mostly good luck!!!!!
    Current:
    Right ear: 2x lobe, industrial, inner conch
    Left ear: 2x lobe, 3x helix, tragus
    Navel, Tongue, VCH, Nipples vertical
    Retired:
    Nipples horizontal, Fourchette
    Tattoos:
    30ish from head to toe, with too many gaps inbetween!
    Brands:
    Linked hearts
    Coming soon:
    Forward helix

Thanks guys and gals, good stuff there.

I'm guessing with it being my entire back the best thing to wear would be a bikini?
    Does anyone have any tips on not flashing nipple? Haha!
    I has Facebook

I have:
    16mm lobes x2 / 1.6mm lobes x4 / 1.6mm scaffold / 1.2mm helix / 1.6mm conch x3 / 1.2mm snakebites / 2mm tongue / 1.6mm horizontal nipples x2 / 1.6mm VCH
    Pheonix backpiece! 20/08/10 (4 & 1/2 hrs) 18/09/10 (6 hrs) 30/10/10 (5 hrs) 04/12/10 (4 hrs)

I GOT MODBLOGGED!!!

Nipple stickers!
    http://www.asos.com/Bristols-6/Nippi...product_search

You can get cheaper ones, but I saw these this morning and they were the first ones that can to mind! A bikini with thin strings seems like a good though

Current piercings
    22mm lobes | 6mm conch

Current tattoos
    Indian inspired dotwork side piece (14/08/2013)
    Click to see!

Retired
    Snakebites | Tongue web | Scaffold | Medusa | Hand Web | Smiley | Nape | Tragus | Vertical tragus | Navel | Chest MD | 8 lobes | Tongue | Nipples

Gallery
    http://www.bodyjewelleryshop.com/gal...0&ppuser=52306

I wore a bikini for my back piece, it was easiest to get on and off during breaks and with it been a tie back one we could make sure it wasn't to tight to rub on the tattoo when I left.

When getting my back down I was sat lent forward on a tattooists chair so nothing was on show, the guys gave me a clean towel to hide myself with too when they had other clients.
    When it was just them I didn't bother, they've all seen it before during other sessions, so we've reached a stage of comfort with nakedness around each other.
    Current:
    Retired:
    Tattoos:
    Brands:
    Linked hearts
    Coming soon:
    Forward helix

Wow, those "nippies" are great! Bit better than gaffa tape haha
    I has Facebook

I have:

I GOT MODBLOGGED!!!

Ouch at the thought of removing gaffer tape!
    It would feel like you were ripping your niplles off surely? I mean those nipple daisies hurt enough and they are designed for contact with the skin!
    Current:
    Retired:
    Tattoos:
    Brands:
    Linked hearts
    Coming soon:
    Forward helix

I can only think of a few things based on own experience..

Have a good nights sleep beforehand, have a decent breakfast, for example I had 2 rounds of toast, a bowl of cereal and a pint of fruit juice..

Take a drink in with you, something sugary, I had lucozade sport, the still orange drink..

Either chatting to the artist occasionally or listening to music helps keep your mind off it, and just try to relax
    Piercings:

4mm Lobes
    1.6mm Septum!
    1.6mm Left Lip
    (Retired)

1.2mm Right Tragus (Retired)
    Left Nostril (Retired)

Ink:

Right Arm: Japanese Full Sleeve - Waves, Koi, Lotus Flowers and Cherry Blossoms. 19 hours. By Matt Hunt.
    Left Arm: Traditional Lady & Rose - Inner forearm. 3.5 hours. By Rachel McCarthy.

Future:

Lots More Ink!
    Both Lobes Stretched To Around 14mm
    Conch?

Branding...?

As well as all of the above, I've heard lollipops are good to take with you too.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast