Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tragus is sore :(

Default Tragus is sore :(

I know this will probably sound really silly but i got my left tragus pierced 3 days ago and I'm really worried about get the 'dreaded lump' on it cause thats what happened to my right one and i had to take it out :( When got it done it didn't really hurt much afterwards (just the expected amount lol) but it has gradually got more sore as the days go on...i know its bound to hurt for a while but is it meant to get more painful...

And also wondering how long it takes for the bump to appear if you are unlucky enough to get it :s i was looking at mine this morning and I think i can see the beginnings of one but i'm not sure! I've been washing it three times a day with Claire's aftercare lotion but Ive just read that that isn't good for it so i just ordered some aftercare stuff from this site.

I'm just really worried I'll have to take it out again cause i love it!

Any advice would be much appreciated

Right as a precautionary measure start using a sss with chamomile in it instead of the cleaning solution from Claire's!

If your not sure how to do a sss don't worry it's really simple to do.
    Boil the kettle.
    Pop a 100% chamomile tea bag in a mug and a tiny pinch of salt.
    Pour in the hot water!
    Wait until it's cool enough that it doesn't burn and simply soak your ear in the solution. Times vary but aim for around 5-10 minutes!!
    Handy hint: fill a large shot glass and hold it over your ear or put the mug in a bowl to catch any spillage and lower your ear to it on the table or counter in the kitchen!

If your really worried about a bump use the hot tea bag as a compress and hold it to the piercing until it goes cool!

Other things to avoid the bump:

1) Make sure you don't sleep on it, buy a donut pillow if needed. The weight of your head on a fresh piercing will irritate it which might lead to bumps.

2) Make sure your wearing high quality titanium jewellery. This will make sure you don't have a nasty allergic reaction to the metal.

3) Don't fiddle with it!!!

4) Remember bumps are caused by something irritating the piercing, make sure it's not getting caught on clothes or hair!!!
    Last edited by katielou; 07-06-2010 at 01:15 PM.
    Current:
    Right ear: 2x lobe, industrial, inner conch
    Left ear: 2x lobe, 3x helix, tragus
    Navel, Tongue, VCH, Nipples vertical
    Retired:
    Nipples horizontal, Fourchette
    Tattoos:
    30ish from head to toe, with too many gaps inbetween!
    Brands:
    Linked hearts
    Coming soon:
    Forward helix

You don't need to buy any special aftercare stuff. 1/4 tsp of sea salt in a cup of hot water, let it cool down to a point where you can soak your ear in it. Soak for 5 mins twice a day. Some people however just leave cartilage piercings to their own devices but piercers will normally recommend the soaks. Bumps can form at any point, mine was fine for a while and now I have a bump (also known as hypertrophic scarring) I got mine down by doing soaks with chamomile tea added and it calmed. Now it seems to be back with a vengeance so am considering other options to get rid of it.

The bump for some is just one of those things that can happen but is mainly caused by irritation usually caused by: fiddling/playing with it, having too long a bar in it, having it pierced with a ring (BCR), sleeping on it etc so make sure none of the above applies.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by katielou View Post

3) Don't fiddle with it!!!

Thank you so much for your advice! I shall go to the shops now lol but is it ok to turn the piercing so it doesnt get attached to my flesh or should i leave it alone altogether?

No, no, no, no, NO!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop right now!!!!

You should never rotate a piercing!!!
    This is typical bad advice given by places like Claire's!
    It needs to be left in one position to heal while the fistula forms.
    Turning a piercing will drag dirt and crusties into the healing fistula causing irritation and irritation leads to bumps!!

Where did you get your piercing done?
    Last edited by katielou; 07-06-2010 at 01:27 PM.
    Current:
    Retired:
    Tattoos:
    Brands:
    Linked hearts
    Coming soon:
    Forward helix

No, don't touch it at all. The soaks will soak off any crusties that form, if you mess with it you'll irritate it and possibly drag those crusty bits through the healing hole (fistula) and make it angry. Put the claire's stuff in the bin and never use it again it's far too harsh for any piercing. Also I hope you got it done with a needle?
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

I got it done in the Otherside in Belfast... he didnt tell me turn it, i read it somewhere...if i do these soaks will undo the damage i have inflicted :s

Any damage will be minimal and will have just set back healing a bit. Just follow the advice above and it will heal fine.

Norrrffoooollllkkk (Im not a farmer chick)

I agree with the others, i dont know much about piercings as what they do but what they say is right.
    i do to also hope it was done by needle and also not done by claies themselves.

I had my helix and lobes gunned years ago i had no issues but i now know that its not a good idea at all. My nose was also gunned about 4 years ago and i got the bump and ended up having to take that out and also the stud fell out a lot as well if wouldnt of got it if i had known, i had no idea at the time that guns were soo bad. So i strongly advise anyone to stay clear from guns.
    I have -
    Left ~ Lobes x1 - Helix x1
    Right ~ Lobes x1 - Industrial x1
    Navel x 1
    Tattoo x 5

Retired -
    Nose
    Forward Helix
    Tragus

Don't worry, you probably haven't done that much damage!
    As Redraven says you might have set your healing time back a little but with a tragus that can take up to 18 months anyway whats an extra few weeks right?
    Remember if you do get a bump it's often easy to find something to fix it.

The sss with chamomile will certainly soothe your poor tragus!
    Chamomile has natural antiseptic properties so while it soothes away your bump it's nice and gentle enough not to cause any damage and the sss gets into the healing fistula and draws out any nasties in there.

I'm guessing Otherside is a proper piercing place and the guy used a needle and put in nice titanium jewellery yes?
    Last edited by katielou; 07-06-2010 at 01:38 PM.
    Current:
    Retired:
    Tattoos:
    Brands:
    Linked hearts
    Coming soon:
    Forward helix

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast