Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Piercings and employment

Question Piercings and employment

Just wondered how everyone in this forum found getting or retaining employment with piercings? which employers are strict and which not so? I currently work in a call centre, there is a dress code but no mention of hair, make up or piercings so it is somewhat without consequence what i decide to have done. I won't however work there forever (dear god please don't let me!) and just wondered how generally people found other employers or even job interviews with particularly facial piercings.

thanks all!!
    Piercings:
    L Ear: 13mm lobe, 8mm lobe, snug, industrial, daith, tragus
    R Ear: 13mm lobe, 8mm lobe, 4 x helix, rook, tragus
    Other: 6mm Tongue, Septum, bridge/erl, 2 x philtrum

Retired:
    Christina, Left eyebrow, Industrial (R Ear), 5mm lip

Tattoos:
    Star on left forearm
    'Freedom' in script on right forearm
    GITS Neck Ports
    Dragon Quest Slime on left wrist

Cosmetic tattoos:
    Eyeliner
    Eyebrows (‘retired’)

I worked in customer service (with some shop floor work) for one of the big three supermarkets for a year, and in that time I had stretched lobes, conch, helix, lip, nostril, septum and tongue piercings. They hired me with that many piercings, and no one really commented. I kept them subtle (solid plugs in my lobes, stud rather than a cbr in my lip etc). But I doubt you want to work in a supermarket!

I work in a hospital now, and I'm only allowed one small stud per ear and tongue piercings. I take everything out, apart from septum (flipped up), tongue and my conch. They are very strict on it, hair cant be offensive or unnaturally coloured, no visible tattoos apart from the ones you already have when hired etc.

Now
    : 11mm lobes. 6mm septum.
    helix. tongue. rook. 5mm conch punches L & R.
    central labret. industrial. double nostrils.
    philtrum. tattoos.

Retired: snakebites. nostril x 2. 2nd & 3rd lobes.
    helix. outer conch. nipple.

Next: tattoos.

Tumblr. Facebook.

I just take everything out or wear retainers - most of my piercings are almost 4 yrs old so are happy to be left out for long periods of time.

I have never had anyone mention them - I think it helps if you don't bring atention to them buy asking if piercings are Ok and such, as most people won't notice a discret piercing anyway
    13mm Lobes, 6mm Lobes, 1.6mm Lobes, 1mm Lobes, Right Tragus, Right Rook, Right Scaffold, Left Helix, Left Monroe, Double Nostrils, Snakebites, Venoms, 4mm Septum, Nipples, Navel, VCH, Fourchette, 2x Sternum MD's, 2x Temple MD's, 13 Hours Tattoo Work.

Quote Originally Posted by SleeeepyHollow View Post
    I work in a hospital now, and I'm only allowed one small stud per ear and tongue piercings. I take everything out, apart from septum (flipped up), tongue and my conch. They are very strict on it, hair cant be offensive or unnaturally coloured, no visible tattoos apart from the ones you already have when hired etc.
    wow, they are very strict, i have previously been interested in working in a hospital environment. it's weird how you can have 'offensive hair'!! I think i prob value by own individuality and liberty more than i should.
    Piercings:

Retired:

Tattoos:
    Star on left forearm
    GITS Neck Ports

Cosmetic tattoos:
    Eyeliner
    Eyebrows (‘retired’)

Yeah its not actually in the dress code as far as I know, but its more the ward sisters who would have it in for you! I asked about hair colour when I started, and nobody said you couldn't have unnaturally coloured hair. But I know several that have been basically told to get "normal" hair or get walking.

Now
    : 11mm lobes. 6mm septum.
    helix. tongue. rook. 5mm conch punches L & R.
    central labret. industrial. double nostrils.
    philtrum. tattoos.

Retired: snakebites. nostril x 2. 2nd & 3rd lobes.
    helix. outer conch. nipple.

Next: tattoos.

Tumblr. Facebook.

I worked in retail for about a year and when I joined I only had my double helix and my navel, which is obviously hidden. By the end of my time there I had a few more ear piercings and my nose done and no one ever said anything about it.
    Current
    Ears: Left forward and standard helix, left tragus, left daith. Right rook, right double inner conch. 1g and 14g lobes.
    Face: Right nostril, septum, vertical labret.
    Other: Tongue, standard and inverse navel, left and right nipple.

Most of my jobs have had no problem with mine. I currently have 5 x standard lobe, 2 x 1/2" lobe, helix, tragus & double nostril piercings. In the past I've also had a rook, snug and another helix. I've only really done admin/reception, but I've worked for a recruitment agency, E.On, Virgin Media, Child Support Agency & an NHS hospital. The only slight problem I've had is with the current job - NHS - where I have to have retainers in my nostril piercings, but they've not mentioned any of my ear piercings at all. They said I had to hide my nostril piercings because ward staff could only have one stud per ear, but they seem to have overlooked the fact I have rather more than that in each ear, haha. I rarely need to go onto wards though, I'm in the office 95% of the time.

I certainly wouldn't risk wearing tunnels though (whereas I often did at E.On and no one cared at all there - we could wear jeans, have visible tattoos/piercings, bright pink hair, whatever. Best lack-of dress code ever!).

I always always wear retainers/take out most of my ear piercings and wear subtle plugs for interviews though. I'd always wait to ask about dresscodes until after you've been offered the job.

Cool, I'm not sure where else i would work but it's interesting to know.
    Piercings:

Retired:

Tattoos:
    Star on left forearm
    GITS Neck Ports

Cosmetic tattoos:
    Eyeliner
    Eyebrows (‘retired’)

I'd say wear subtle or no jewelry if at all possible for the interview, and ask them about their dress code. Any place I've ever worked mentions piercings right along with any other dress code issues. The last interview I was at, I took out anything that I've had for a long time, and wore barbells with small ends or solid plugs in everything else. If a place of employment has no issue with jewelry, I'd just make sure the jewelry itself won't interfere with the type of work. (no huge hangy stuff when doing physical labor, stuff like that)

i've never actually had a job,but got a few dates later this month working at the racecourse,i'm just planning on putting retainers in my lip ones,flipping my septum up,and hoping they don't comment on my nose stud,which is tiny anyways.i'm only working in catering though,as a waitress so i'm hoping they won't be too strict since i literally can't change any of them.tbh,unless there's a geniune reason for it then i'd be reluctant to take any out,retainers aren't that offensive,though i do think some hairstyles should be restricted maybe
    Current: Double nostrils, philtrum, nipple. Various cartilage, 9/16'' lobes.
    Retired: Nipple, navel x4, wrist, nape, MD, tongue web x2, lower lip piercings x4, nostril, helix, lobe piercings, septum, cheek piercings.
    4 tattoos.

What is my life for and what am I going to do with it? I don't know and I'm afraid. I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want.
    Facebook

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast