Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Piercings and employment

I work in London on recepiton for a medium size company, I have the following piercings on show:

Nose (very small silver ball)
    lobes
    Rook
    Tragus

I have the following that I hide or are hidden:

Lip (leave stalk in - take ball off)
    X 2 microdermals in collar bone (usually hidden with clothes)
    Nape (covered with clothes)
    Nipple (hidden)
    Tongue
    Navel

I have added as I have gone along have worked here for 13 years so just gradually added along the years, never had anything said to me but think if I put my lip piercing in or had anymore I think they would start moaning....

Not sure where we all stand with human rights on this issue????

I really dont see what the problem is as long as its small and descret??
    Rook (left ear)
    Tragus (right ear)
    Lopes
    Nose
    Lip (left bottom)
    Tongue
    Nipple (right)
    Navel
    x 2 microdermal (left collar bone)
    x 1 microdermal right wrist
    Nape

Wishlist: Tongue (front), sternum

Quote Originally Posted by SleeeepyHollow View Post
    I work in a hospital now, and I'm only allowed one small stud per ear and tongue piercings. I take everything out, apart from septum (flipped up), tongue and my conch. They are very strict on it, hair cant be offensive or unnaturally coloured, no visible tattoos apart from the ones you already have when hired etc.
    Please excuse my ignorance lol...but what would be an offensive hairstyle then? and whats unnaturally coloured? do you mean bright pink or something like that? because although my hairs not bright pink its got quite chunky highlights. browns and blonde/golden e.t.c...

Quote Originally Posted by watermelon View Post
    My only visible piercing is my rook, and when I start my 'real job' (actual career) in a few years after college I'll take it out... just wouldn't fit with the look I'd want.
    Oh my god thats so sad :( I would hate to have to give up my piercings. I hate taking them out for even a minute lol. Or even change my hair.

Although i understand where your coming from i would hate to change myself for anyone or anything, thats why i'm grateful that i can please myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa-Marie View Post
    Please excuse my ignorance lol...but what would be an offensive hairstyle then? and whats unnaturally coloured? do you mean bright pink or something like that? because although my hairs not bright pink its got quite chunky highlights. browns and blonde/golden e.t.c...
    Haha thats not my wording "Offensive" hairstyle would be anything slightly out of the ordinary, shaved bits, mohawks, dreadlocks etc. Yeah unnatural colours, basically anything other than blonde/brown/black/auburn. You could get away with chunky highlights, but anything green/blue/pink/purple/etc is out of the question!

Now
    : 11mm lobes. 6mm septum.
    helix. tongue. rook. 5mm conch punches L & R.
    central labret. industrial. double nostrils.
    philtrum. tattoos.

Retired: snakebites. nostril x 2. 2nd & 3rd lobes.
    helix. outer conch. nipple.

Next: tattoos.

Tumblr. Facebook.

just got told i have to change my hair if i want to waitress :(gonna see if i can get some wash in/wash out black-hoping that exists cos i want it greeen .still the people sound alright,so long as i don't have to take all my piercings out,it'll be alright
    Current: Double nostrils, philtrum, nipple. Various cartilage, 9/16'' lobes.
    Retired: Nipple, navel x4, wrist, nape, MD, tongue web x2, lower lip piercings x4, nostril, helix, lobe piercings, septum, cheek piercings.
    4 tattoos.

What is my life for and what am I going to do with it? I don't know and I'm afraid. I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want.
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by marteenmullins View Post
    some people will just look at u and judge u on ur piercings even if u have hardly any, because they are narrow minded.
    Thats true but i'd rather that, because if someone thinks its acceptable to dislike you based on a piercing i'd rather not know them anyway.

i suppose it depends on the circumstances but i don't think i would readily give up my freedom for a job.

i noticed someone posted about human rights - well sadly piercings are not classed as that sort of freedom - in fact in the US in 2006 the government passed a law which meant it was completely legal for an employer to demand its female employees wear makeup! seriously! how sexist and archaic is that?! but only passed a couple years ago. crazy eh?
    Piercings:
    L Ear: 13mm lobe, 8mm lobe, snug, industrial, daith, tragus
    R Ear: 13mm lobe, 8mm lobe, 4 x helix, rook, tragus
    Other: 6mm Tongue, Septum, bridge/erl, 2 x philtrum

Retired:
    Christina, Left eyebrow, Industrial (R Ear), 5mm lip

Tattoos:
    Star on left forearm
    'Freedom' in script on right forearm
    GITS Neck Ports
    Dragon Quest Slime on left wrist

Cosmetic tattoos:
    Eyeliner
    Eyebrows (‘retired’)

Haha i know it wasnt your wording .
    We're pretty much similiar on here.
    I like people that are unique
    And hate all this strictness with tattoos and piercings.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa-Marie View Post
    Haha i know it wasnt your wording .
    We're pretty much similiar on here.
    I like people that are unique
    And hate all this strictness with tattoos and piercings.
    Heh I have a couple of weeks off at the minute and have blue hair! Making the most of freedom. I would kill for dreads at some point too, but it aint happening anytime soon. I can see dreadlocks causing a major stir, mainly I would think because people associate dreadlocks with being dirty, and with the whole infection control thing.. Doesn't look great on the NHS!

I rambled

Now
    philtrum. tattoos.

Tumblr. Facebook.

But thats what annoys me, things like that, why do people associate dreadlocks with being dirty? or look at people with tattoos and piercings differently? Grrrr annoys the hell out of me lol.
    Last edited by Lisa-Marie; 06-14-2010 at 10:45 PM.

Its just bad stereotyping isnt it, people associate them with not washing etc. But its complete bull, there are plenty of FAR dirtier people working for the NHS

Its like people always look at me like I'm about to mug them/rob them, I was in the bank today and I got the filthiest looks ever. I swear they thought when I walked up to the desk I was going to get a knife out my trousers! Um no, I'm just cashing a cheque!

Now
    philtrum. tattoos.

Tumblr. Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by SleeeepyHollow View Post
    Its just bad stereotyping isnt it, people associate them with not washing etc. But its complete bull, there are plenty of FAR dirtier people working for the NHS

Its like people always look at me like I'm about to mug them/rob them, I was in the bank today and I got the filthiest looks ever. I swear they thought when I walked up to the desk I was going to get a knife out my trousers! Um no, I'm just cashing a cheque!
    when i was little (many years ago lol) my dad had long hair and used to wear a biker jacket (he was a large bloke too), he would take me to the park and to the swimming, back then silly old ladies would cross the street to avoid him, or clutch their handbags tightly when walking round him - i couldnt understand why anyone would think my dad would hurt them when he was so gentle. you would think that times have changed but really when i read that i doubt it. :(
    Piercings:
    L Ear: 13mm lobe, 8mm lobe, snug, industrial, daith, tragus
    R Ear: 13mm lobe, 8mm lobe, 4 x helix, rook, tragus
    Other: 6mm Tongue, Septum, bridge/erl, 2 x philtrum

Retired:
    Christina, Left eyebrow, Industrial (R Ear), 5mm lip

Tattoos:
    Star on left forearm
    'Freedom' in script on right forearm
    GITS Neck Ports
    Dragon Quest Slime on left wrist

Cosmetic tattoos: