Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Piercings and employment

I've only ever worked at a grocery store (have worked at the same one on and off for three years and got hired at another but didn't take the job) and they seem to be pretty strict. When I started working at the first one I had zero piercings so obviously that wasn't a problem; no one really said anything (at least not the manager) when I came back from school with my eyebrow pierced but I had a retainer in at first. Then I started wearing visible jewelry and still no one said anything. When I got my first nostril piercing no one cared either. But I think that was just because I'd worked there for so long; I wouldn't have gotten hired with those in. When the manager of the other grocery store I was going to work at was talking to me about the dress code she said I'd have to take everything out except lobe piercings (she didn't see my other ear piercings, just my non-hidden nostril).
    Now that I have double nostrils I keep one hidden with a retainer and a bit of makeup. I'd probably be able to get away with both at my current job but since they're a rare piercing around here I don't really want any comments about them. My ear piercings are always pretty hidden; I've worn earskins to work and everything and no one's noticed.
    I'm Lindsay.
    Piercings:
    Ears: Right conch, left conch, left double helix, 1/2" lobes.
    Other: Both nostrils, septum, VCH, navel
    RIP: Left eyebrow, right double tragus
    7 tattoos!

I work with the public so went for a nipple piercing so people wouldn't judge

I work in a small restaraunt, as an assistant chef, they're pretty lax with piercings aslong as you don't have too many facial ones (I flip up my septum and take out my monroe). I cover my ears with my hair. The only really visible piercing is my nape md, but they've never mentioned it to me. We're also allowed to have unatural hair colour. But I guess this my bosses are usually too busy to notice.

I've often get positive comments when customers notice my ears!
    Piercings
    Left Ear; Lobe 22mm, Lobe 4mm, Lobe 1.6mm X1
    Right Ear; Lobe 22mm, Lobe 4mm, Rook 1.6mm, Conch 1.2mm
    Facial; Septum 1.2mm, Left Nostril 1.2mm, Central Labret 1.2mm
    Oral; Tongue 5mm
    Body; Right Nipple 1.6mm, Nape MD, Standard Navel 1.6mm

im considered edgy and unusual for having a rook , its the most exotic visible piercing out of all the workers. Nobody has bright coloured hair or stretched ears, most have only one set of lobes with studs and that is it.

I work for my local district council (part time now because I'm a student). I didn't have any facial piercings when I started but I've got my lip and nose done now and no managers have said a thing. I don't think they've even noticed. I wear small, discreet jewellery so they're not hugely obvious - most people don't even notice my nose. I can't remember what it says in our code of conduct about piercings because I lost it ages ago. Another girl in my office has had her lip done for about 2 years with a hoop through it and she's never been told to remove it either, but a woman also in our office who had eyebrow, nose and a few in her ears was told to take most of them out (I think this was a few years back). They seem a bit inconsistent tbh.
    Last edited by Mellen; 06-14-2010 at 09:59 PM.
    I'm Ellen.
    Have: Navel, right nostril, lip, 1st lobes.
    Want: 2nd lobes, conch, microdermals.

This is really interesting, so it seems most professions except health care aren't as strict as i may have thought... excellent! so it seems the secret is not to mention them and to wear discrete ones while at work. I'm not planning anything outlandish just my ears, eyebrow and tongue but a friend of mine had been asked to remove her labret for her new job but she was going into health care so i guess that explains it.

@Bekki - funny you should mention it, my friend got her rook done and she got the same kind of response at the office! a sort of an 'eww-ooh' lol.
    Piercings:
    L Ear: 13mm lobe, 8mm lobe, snug, industrial, daith, tragus
    R Ear: 13mm lobe, 8mm lobe, 4 x helix, rook, tragus
    Other: 6mm Tongue, Septum, bridge/erl, 2 x philtrum

Retired:
    Christina, Left eyebrow, Industrial (R Ear), 5mm lip

Tattoos:
    Star on left forearm
    'Freedom' in script on right forearm
    GITS Neck Ports
    Dragon Quest Slime on left wrist

Cosmetic tattoos:
    Eyeliner
    Eyebrows (‘retired’)

My only visible piercing is my rook, and when I start my 'real job' (actual career) in a few years after college I'll take it out... just wouldn't fit with the look I'd want.

dpack_1

I've always found that lower end jobs (such as retail, fast food, supermarkets etc) seem to have much stricter dress codes than offices or other professional environments.

When i first did the 3 dermals in my neck one of the directors at my company come up and asked about how they worked and stuff and whether it was 'just for the weekend' (thought i could take them out), when i said no they're a semi permanent thing he thought it was cool. They had no problem with me going to client meetings and the like when i was sporting a hoxton fin, thick black and red bands tattooed round my forearms and my spiked CBB lobe ring and 3 x dermals on show. They just think it's all interesting.

And for the record, i work for a very famous architectural firm in southl london.

Quote Originally Posted by watermelon View Post
    My only visible piercing is my rook, and when I start my 'real job' (actual career) in a few years after college I'll take it out... just wouldn't fit with the look I'd want.
    That is quite sad :( but I get your point!
    Ears;
    Tragus (l), Double Helix (l), Rook (r), Conch to conch Industrial (r), Daith (l), Snug (l) lobes (l@2.4mm r@0mm).
    Body;
    Navel.(2mm)
    Hoping for;
    Septum, snug (L), antitragus (R), more lobes, forward helix(L), horizontal industrial (hopefully, R). Double tongue, Inverse navel, collarbone MD's, 6mm/8mm lobes, horizontal nipples, VCH/Triangle
    (if i ever get brave enough.)

Retired;
    Lobes (l&r) second time up.

some people will just look at u and judge u on ur piercings even if u have hardly any, because they are narrow minded.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast