Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jewelry Review - Walmart's new Body Magic BioFlex Body Jewelry

Thumbs down Jewelry Review - Walmart's new Body Magic BioFlex Body Jewelry

I apologize for the repost, but the previous forum link appears to have been broken by my inclusion of a period in the title. Ahh well. Live and learn!

TLDR: 2 out of 10 's

So I was walking through my local Walmart this evening (not sure you folks have Walmarts in GB...) and happened to notice a new stand at the jewelry section. I had recently been reading fairly heavily on BioPlast jewelry, debating on whether or not I wanted to get some, and lo and behold, Walmart is now carrying a generic brand of BioPlast that they're aptly calling "BioFlex" (we all knew it would happen eventually). I'm a bit baffled at how Walmart is making "BioFlex" seeing as the makers of BioPlast refuse to release their magical ingredients (which is one of the main reasons I've avoided purchasing them) but regardless, I had cash to burn and figured I'd pick up a few different packs to see how they worked out for me. Let's just call this me wasting my money so that you don't have to

So, here's a bit of a review.

First, the packaging. You'll notice the boxes are pretty beaten up, and as is normal for most store-bought jewelry, it doesn't look like any effort has been made to keep them hygienic or sterile:

Back of packaging:

Bits and pieces. It's probably difficult to see here, but the bars and ball inserts are very poorly threaded. There are bits and pieces of loose plastic attached to, not only the bar itself (which can easily damage your fistula) but also to the flat part of the jewelry that rests inside your lip:

To top this off, the board that the jewelry pieces were resting on was made of some sort of rubber (reminded me of the insole of a cheap sports shoe) and many of the pieces were glued/melted on to it:

The pieces themselves boiled just fine, but I did end up throwing away the beads with the rubber on them...I just wasn't comfortable with the idea of melting whatever that was on it off and then sticking it in/around my mouth.

So, insane as I am, and knowing full well that I would likely never end up leaving one of these pieces of jewelry in for any extended period of time, I decided I'd go ahead and try putting in a set. I chose the least gnarled rod and a head that I thought was tolerable for a guy (most of the pieces, as per Walmart standards, were very feminine, as apparently the distributors at these stores think only women get body piercings...*sigh*) and went to town attempting to insert and thread a bar and ball.

...30 minutes later...

I have a pierced tongue...and as most people with a pierced tongue know, you can't see the bar usually whenever you're tightening a newly inserted piercing. The lip is much different. While it's still in the mouth and you have to awkwardly stick a piece of paper towel behind your lip to hold the back of the labret, you can at least still see where the bar threads and ball hole are (in a mirror) for easy insertion and tightening. For whatever reason, this bar and ball combination _would not thread_ it literally took me 30 minutes of cussing, twisting, turning and general mind farking for me to get this piece of jewelry tightened enough that I wasn't afraid of swallowing it in the middle of the night should I choose to leave it in for that long.

I eventually ended up having to tighten the jewelry by holding the ball still while twisting the bar from behind my lip. Again, these bars are not polished by any means, so this was at great risk to damaging my fistula. I've never had this problem with any other piece of jewelry (including surgical stainless steels purchased from Walmart) so I was kind of blown away by the shear frustration involved here for the cost.

Here's a picture of the labret finally inserted. Please pardon the chapped lips and facial hair...it's late and I'm too lazy at the moment to shave :p

Overall:

Quality: 2/10 - Very poor quality. Snagging, unpolished plastic
    Value: 0/10 - Ridiculously expensive for what you're getting ($15 and $9 respectively for the two packs)
    Comfort: 6/10 - Not uncomfortable once the jewelry was actually in, but the risk that the poor quality puts on the safety of your piercing makes the comfort a moot point

Overall (not an average): 2/10 's

I'll upload more pics to my dA page. You can see them here (along with a bunch of other crap you should probably ignore :p):
    http://cazantyl.deviantart.com/gallery/#_browse/scraps

Anyone have a different experience with these?

Sorry if this was too long or put in the wrong forum (fill free to move it). If people are interested, I may do a few more of these as I'm a bit of a jewelry buying fanatic.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

-David
    Current: lobes @ 2g, tongue, septum, left labret, right labret, bridge
    Want: Apadravya, right conch @ 2g, central labret
    Considering:

Cross-quoting from the broken thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Coraz0ndeOro View Post
    That was really interesting to read! I knew Wal-Mart did body jewelry but I didn't know they were attempting stuff like that now. What totally baffles me is that jewelry from cheap stores (Hot Topic, Claire's, and now Wal-Mart) is always so much more expensive than what you can get from BAF, Steel Navel, BJS, etc. I guess they just think they can rip people off since it's not sold in very many stores.

Edit: that stuff is also extremely tacky IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by tacosareyummeh View Post
    Basically everything Lindsay said. For example, I got a pack of five curved barbells at Hot Topic for about 10 bucks, which I thought was a deal, but they're made of some cheap and crappy material and it irritates both my healing tragus and healed rook and the color has rubbed off on more than half of them. I realize now I can get a curved barbell made out of titanium for only 6 bucks I think on BAF. I agree about them being tacky as well.
    I agree with you both, the balls provided in the jewelry are _very_ tacky (and all very feminine). I was mostly interested in the studs themselves, as I assumed that they could have any ball threaded on to them.

I did actually test and confirm that any standard 14G ball will fit on the bars, albeit with the same amount of finagling necessary to put on the standard included balls. Still isn't worth the investment.

I mostly purchased these as a means of settling my curiosity (I've actually had a few pleasant experiences with Walmart off-brands) and as a way of hopefully saving a few people out there some money if they happened to see these in their local store and get the same curiosity.

I'd always recommend purchasing from a dependable vendor (either online or otherwise), but I usually find myself picking up a piece of jewelry or two whenever I'm out and about at stores that sell them...like I said, I'm a jewelry fiend (just don't tell my guy friends, it will embarrass my wife).
    Considering:

My experience with cheap body jewelry: I have a couple of curved barbells which I got at some mall kiosk (probably Hot Topic or Claire's). The gem on one of them fell off and appeared to have been glued on by the manufacturer in the first place, so I glued it back with nail glue. Then I noticed that the silver coating of the barbell was really silver colored paint on a cheaper metal, and it had been flaking off.

Another one was a black end with a white gem. After a few months of continuous wear, it became a green gem somehow. The hole that it was in also turned green. Both rings, along with a bunch of other less funny jewelry were externally threaded, and cost about the same or slightly cheaper than getting a high quality Anatometal ring from BAF or something. Walmart, Hot Topic, Claires, and other places like that sell jewelry that's clearly cheaply made for huge markup. You're better off searching online for something that's higher quality, as it looks much better and will last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessEmmy View Post
    My experience with cheap body jewelry: I have a couple of curved barbells which I got at some mall kiosk (probably Hot Topic or Claire's). The gem on one of them fell off and appeared to have been glued on by the manufacturer in the first place, so I glued it back with nail glue. Then I noticed that the silver coating of the barbell was really silver colored paint on a cheaper metal, and it had been flaking off.

Another one was a black end with a white gem. After a few months of continuous wear, it became a green gem somehow. The hole that it was in also turned green. Both rings, along with a bunch of other less funny jewelry were externally threaded, and cost about the same or slightly cheaper than getting a high quality Anatometal ring from BAF or something. Walmart, Hot Topic, Claires, and other places like that sell jewelry that's clearly cheaply made for huge markup. You're better off searching online for something that's higher quality, as it looks much better and will last longer.
    Couldn't agree more Piercing Pagoda's one of the worst offenders in my area (local mall) for poorly made jewelry at ridiculous prices.

I'm mostly buying products at local shops because I'm hoping that one day these companies might release something that's actually worth getting, and honestly, it's nice every now and then to have a place to purchase "emergency wear" in case you're not near home and lose a piece of jewelry. I'm going to keep searching :p
    Considering:

just to satisfy any possible curiosity about the UK , we do have walmart but its called asda over here

Quote Originally Posted by bekki2308 View Post
    just to satisfy any possible curiosity about the UK , we do have walmart but its called asda over here
    ahh thanks :P I was curious!
    Considering:

no problem the carrier bag say asda part of the walmart family

I always wondered that too.
    Wal-Mart is a terrible place but they suck people in with their cheaper prices. :(
    I'm Lindsay.
    Piercings:
    Ears: Right conch, left conch, left double helix, 1/2" lobes.
    Other: Both nostrils, septum, VCH, navel
    RIP: Left eyebrow, right double tragus
    7 tattoos!

they do good cheap clothing and food , but their jewellery does tend to suck badly

They're not quite the same - Asda existed independently beforehand, but was bought a few years ago by Walmart.
    Piercings:
    Left ear: 2 x lobe, tragus
    Right ear: 3 x lobe, forward helix
    Navel

Want:
    left auricle
    Nape
    VCH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast