Thread: Tragus Piercing is Swollen

Default Tragus Piercing is Swollen

Hello Everybody!

My tragus has been fully healed for three months now and I thought it would be awesome if I changed from a CBR to a stud.

I changed it myself and had an awful time doing so as there had been lots of bleeding! After much persistence I was successful in changing the jewelery. I may have poked inwards towards the inside of my head instead of outwards towards the exit piercing.

It was difficult to maneuver the 6mm stud but now that I'm successful, my piercing is swollen! It's not as bad right now having been about six hours since I changed the jewelery but I want to avoid any more swelling, puss or infection.

So far I've soaked it in a sea salt solution and have had my hair up. Is there anything else I can do?

Please Help! ):
    Against the wall
    Against the rules
    Against your skin

Don't worry! My tragus swelled a little when I first changed from a CBR to a labret, I think it's just because its a little fiddly and moving your tragus will aggravate it a little I changed mine before 3 months which was a bit silly but the ring was doing my head in :( Mine went down after a few hours, but if you keep doing SSS and maybe put some ice wrapped in some cloth on your ear for a while, it may help I did this and it helped for me, but needless to say that it wont work for everyone but it's worth a try!

It shouldn't get infected, just keep babying it and it'll settle down Hope all goes well, let us know how it goes!
    Hi, I'm Philly

Current;

L industrial | L rook | L conch | R tragus | R helix | R daith | 4 x standard lobe | 2 x 6mm lobe | L nostril | Septum |

Retired;
    L nipple | Navel |

Find me;
    Blog| Instagram

Thank you so much for the reply. You make me feel so much better (: I just know how temperamental Tragus piercings can be ah!
    Against the wall
    Against the rules
    Against your skin

Tragus piercings take between 6 and 18 months to fully heal not 3.

Changing so early will have damaged the delicate tissue trying to form around the bar which is indicated by the bleeding etc - fully healed piercings do not bleed!

It is good that you changed from a ring to a bar ( I hope you mean bar and not one of those butterfly back earrings?) because rings cause a lot of irritation to the piercing as it heals as they move around so much where as a bar mostly stays put.

As long as you changed to a hypoallergenic material like titanium or PTFE and the stud is labret or barbel of some kind then it should be fine to leave in for the rest of your healing time but don't change again unless you start having problems with the jewellery you have in now! You also might want to give your piercing a good sea salt soak every day for a week or so to help soothe it and make it feel a bit better - you can also take an anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen or make up your sea salt soak with chamomile tea instead of plain water as both of these help reduce swelling!
    Body Piercer and Creator of Body Poetry
    A Body Piercing advice site complete with fully detailed aftercare guides.