Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions about lip piercings

Default Questions about lip piercings

I currently have the piercing bug and next I want are spider bites :D But i have a question about it, and the answer or opinions of you guys determines whether I get it done soon or wait till the summer holiday :/
    I go to sixth form which is fairly strict and they may tell me to remove my piercings (yet they never say anything about nose piercings :/) and I also do karate which is obviously strict on visible piercings. I have a week holiday coming up and possibly wanted to get them done at the weekend, which leaves 1 week till school and 2 weeks till my next training session. Yeah, I know it's probably silly queston but I'm unsure, so after 2 weeks, do you think I could change the metal jewellery to a bioplast retainer so I can keep them discreet? I've heard they also help with the healing process, but would changing the jewellery irritate the piercing too much?

Help would be much appreciated :) and my bad if this has been asked loads of times.

I'm not sure if is right (I'm sure someone will correct me haha) but you could swap to retainers when you downsize after the swelling has gone down.
    Piercings
    Left Ear; Lobe 22mm, Lobe 4mm, Lobe 1.6mm X1
    Right Ear; Lobe 22mm, Lobe 4mm, Rook 1.6mm, Conch 1.2mm
    Facial; Septum 1.2mm, Left Nostril 1.2mm, Central Labret 1.2mm
    Oral; Tongue 5mm
    Body; Right Nipple 1.6mm, Nape MD, Standard Navel 1.6mm

Yeah - generally lip piercing jewellery will need to be downsized after a couple of weeks anyway, as the original jewellery will need to be long to account for swelling. However, retainers will not be invisible and people may still notice them. In my nostril piercings I've found flesh-toned retainers to work better than clear (which just look like enormous hideous blackheads), so depending on your skintone, I'd recommend them. Talk to your piercer - ideally they should be the one doing the jewellery change, and the jewellery should be sterile (autoclaved).

rjs

Piercings + martial arts is really not a good plan...I reckon the chances of getting one of them caught and ripped out are really a bit too high...

Haha, yeah, that too. Managed to miss that somehow. It's certainly not an ideal situation and waiting until you don't have to worry about school or karate would be best.

Quote Originally Posted by rjs View Post
    Piercings + martial arts is really not a good plan...I reckon the chances of getting one of them caught and ripped out are really a bit too high...
    This was my thought!
    ive been knocked in the face and that hurt my teeth because of labret, I can't imagine how much damage being kicked in the face would do!

Quote Originally Posted by PirateFerret View Post
    This was my thought!
    ive been knocked in the face and that hurt my teeth because of labret, I can't imagine how much damage being kicked in the face would do!
    labrets and piercings aside, I just wouldn't want to be kicked in the face :p

haha I'm not worried about the hitting in the face. If you were in my classes you'd get what I mean. We literally never do sparring, plus I train with a bunch of little kids, so i'm not too scared of them aha :'). Just worried about what my sensei would say... :S
    Hmm, i'm still stubborn about it though :P might just say screw it, and do it anyway. Plus i have a month of school after exams, which is just a doss, so they may not care as much.
    Thanks for the info guys and also, anyone got any pictures of the retainers being worn?

I got mine done 4 weeks ago. I downsized after 2 weeks (would have been sooner but was too busy) to a bioplast labret I got on here. When I remove the gem on the end it is still really obvious that it's pierced. The hole is noticeable and it's still red around it, which with my pale skin stands out. I've not tried a retainer yet, I expect it will make the hole less noticeable but will still be able to see it. Also, when I had the initial bar in it would sometimes affect how I talked because the bar was so long, and even though the new bar is the correct length it sticks out when I smile because my lips thin. The pain in the first few days made me talk a bit weird sometimes too because moving my lip too much hurt. It didn't help that on the way home from having it done there was a hilarious kid that I couldn't help but laugh at.

tl;dr: I'm thinking that people who know you will probably notice you've had it done, even with a retainer.
    I'm Ellen.
    Have: Navel, right nostril, lip, 1st lobes.
    Want: 2nd lobes, conch, microdermals.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellen View Post
    tl;dr: I'm thinking that people who know you will probably notice you've had it done, even with a retainer.
    this. Lip piercings are one of the most noticeable piercings even with retainers from my experience. It helps that most people look at your mouth when you speak, so that alone draws their attention to the area. Ironically, I've worked with several people that just now noticed that I have my tongue pierced (thanks Facebook) even though I've had it done for 7 years (and I've worked with these people for the same duration).

Lip piercings are also one of those "permanent" piercings that will always be visible in some way, shape or form even if you decide to let it heal up. There will always be a visible scar there (unless you hide it under facial hair...). It's worth it though

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast