Thread: Helix Piercing.

Default Helix Piercing.

Me and my boyfriend were in town on Saturday (8th), and he got his Helix pierced at a proper studio etc. He's not been sleeping on it, (altho, you can't be sure cause you turn in your sleep), he's been having a few problems or whatever with it these are:
    - pulsing ache
    - slight ichyness
    - earring sore to touch (obviously) and the cartilage around it is sore to touch

But there is no
    - puss
    - swelling
    - blood

We're both pretty new to piercings and I know fuck all about a Helix. So was just wondering if anyone had any tips on the aftercare? and if what he is experiencing is normal, if not what to do.

edit: He's also been cleaning it with salt water.

All sounds totally normal to me. Cartilage piercings can take a long while to heal 6-18months on average. Mine are years old and still get itchy and flare up and feel sore now and then. Carry on with the sea salt soaks (he needs to soak it in water as hot as he can stand) twice a day.

The itching is normal, some people have this on and off for weeks. He's doing right not to sleep on it and tell him not to touch it ie dont play/fiddle with it.

Out of interest what has it been pierced with? If its a BCR (ring) he may want to look into getting it changed into a bar as BCRs will make healing more difficult and painful. As long as there is no pus, blood, hot skin etc then its not infected, remember it will be sore though as its had a needle shoved through it!
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Hey I had mine done on Saturday and it was exactly the same exept i cleaned it with distilled witch hazel and pulled all this yellow and brown gunk out and now it feels so much better. I went to see the guy in the place i had it done and he told me if it gets any worse to pull it out but i dont want to =/

All sounds normal to me too. One thought, what material was it pierced with? Make sure it isn't steel if your boyfriend has a nickel allergy; it should be pierced with titanium jewellery.
    have tongue, nostril, secret septum, scaffold , x2 helix, lobe 6mm, lobe 7mm, x2 lobe 1.6mm
    want rook, conch, daith, nipple, lobes 8mm

20 // live on a yacht in brighton // love
    alex

Just carry on washing with the salt water. Over time the piercing should get better. The only reason why it may seem slightly irritated now is because it's so new (also it could be because cartilage piercings are annoying to heal). If the problems continue or get worse you may want to go back to the person who pierced it to help sort out any problems
    Currently have:
    Lobes x2
    Helix x 2 (right ear)
    Inverse Navel
    Double Nostrils
    Nipples (horizontal)

Want and hopefully getting:
    Tongue Web
    Rook
    Tragus

Considering:
    Conch
    Snug
    Nape microdermals
    Hip microdermals
    Labret

Mine was like that for a long while afterwards, but eventually it healed fine. Congrats to him

Make sure he is soaking in the salt water and not just cleaning the outside of the piercing with it as its the action of the soak that really helps the piercing to heal. For a guide to soaks try this one: http://www.bodypoetry.co.uk/rim.htm

Soaks are also really good for helping the itching / throbbing feeling too - all of which are normal for a new piercing :P
    Last edited by kuku; 05-13-2010 at 11:14 PM.
    Body Piercer and Creator of Body Poetry
    A Body Piercing advice site complete with fully detailed aftercare guides.

Sounds completely normal, if he gets a huge ache in it take some ibuprofen to alleviate it and reduce swelling if there is any.

Other than that it sounds pretty usual.
    James.
    Septum, Left Helix, Rook, Nostril, Daith & Right Conch.
    4 Tattoos

Retired:
    3 Lobes. 2 Tragus, Navel.