Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tragus problem and surface piercing question

Default tragus problem and surface piercing question

i've been told that it's common to get this bump on my tragus [and on the inside which i also have] but i SWEAR it's been getting bigger so now i'm starting to get worried because then nothing i've tried on it is even stopping it [tea tree oil, peroxide, rubbing alcohol, antibacterial soap, triple antibiotic cream] all were recommended to me at some point [mostly by all the piercers i've asked for help] and for the past week i let it go completely and that's when i swear it got bigger. though two weeks ago though it was suddenly really hard and within two days it turned into a scab and fell off and now it's really really soft and squishy. now it's just EXTREMELY itchy. it doesn't hurt. i've never popped it coz i was told that's the worst thing to do and i got it pierced in december and the bump didnt show up until mid january so idk. i guess i'm just asking if there's anything else i could try on it? or do you think it is getting big enough that i will need to go to the doctor?? or do you think it's something as simple as the hoop it was pierced with? maybe i'm allergic to the ring? i havent changed it since i got it done. i'm too afraid of me not being able to get another earring in it because of the bump thing. or do you think it's just from sleeping and it got infected that way? should i start putting a band aid over my tragus when i sleep maybe?

also the surface piercing question, is there any way to prevent it from rejecting? or does it just happen or not happen and there's nothing you can do about it? coz i want this done;
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/luvconor/what.jpg
    and i swear if i have to take it out because of it rejecting, i'll be so pissed. i get so attached to every piercing. ha. i have 11 so far.

icon by me.
    graphics.
    (:

The ring you're wearing may be what's causing the bump, try changing to straight barbell or labret stud. However, it does look more flesh colored where as hypertrophic scarring is more reddish. Everything you said makes it sound like the bump though..so it's worth a try.
    As for the surface tragus, some people have them last for months before any signs of rejection or anything. If you're worried about if you could try microdermals instead, they usually last longer.
    Current
    Ears: Left forward and standard helix, left tragus, left daith. Right rook, right double inner conch. 1g and 14g lobes.
    Face: Right nostril, septum, vertical labret.
    Other: Tongue, standard and inverse navel, left and right nipple.

Hmm that bump is quite big isn't it!

Firstly, just to inform you, you should never use peroxides, alcohols creams or antibacterial agents on a piercing. (I know they were recommended but some piercers don't know jack tbh). This is because a piercing doesn't heal like a normal wound does, it heals by secondary intention healing which basically means it stays open as it heals and a delicate tissue called granulation tissue plugs the gap so that normal tissue has something to 'feed it' as it grows back.

This is why piercings take such a long time to heal and why they need regular cleaning too. However strong chemical agents (antibacterial, alcohol, peroxide) damage the delicate granulation tissue, burning it and setting back your healing process loads. Your body will then see the piercing as a threat rather that something it could heal around also as it keeps getting attacked when its trying to do its job! This means your body will try to push out the bar rather than focusing on healing around it like you want it too (again setting back the healing process and in some piercings causing rejection).

Creams have the added bonus of not being able to be absorbed easily by the body, meaning they sit around all moist inside the piercing gathering dirt and dead skin which attract bacteria who like to party

Thats why any piercer worth their name recommends sea salt soaks for piercing cleaning (http://ku-ku.co.uk/Cartilage.htm is a guide to how to do them) as they are natural and clean far deeper than just wiping the outside with some soap or a spray/gel can!

All of that aside the bump could be hypertrophic scarring which is caused by irritation... but I worry that you say its soft - when you press it does stuff come out of it? Does it feel popable like a spot or is it more like an extra piece of skin? When you press it does it change colour? Has it been getting bigger over the last few days or just since you started using the stuff to get rid of it?
    Body Piercer and Creator of Body Poetry
    A Body Piercing advice site complete with fully detailed aftercare guides.

I have that surface piercing! It was going great guns, until I got it caught in my friends hair and it got badly pulled. Since then it's been declining... it hasn't rejected fully, but it's not as deep as it was and the bottom hole (the one the bore the brunt of the injury) doesn't want to settle back down. I have a whole thread dedicated to it in the Experiences/Diaries part of this forum--it shouldn't be more than a few pages in if you want to have a look at that (also shows a full vid of the actual piercing procedure). Good luck with the bump too!
    Current
    Ear lobes X 3 each
    Navel
    Nipples (12g)
    Surface Tragus (R)

Retired
    Labret
    Nipples (14g)
    Surface Tragus (L)
    Forward Helix (R)
    Tongue web
    VCH

Quote Originally Posted by kuku View Post
    Hmm that bump is quite big isn't it!

It does...if I had it I'd probably want to try to pop it and pick at it.

Try sea salt soaks i had the same type of bump and i started the soaks and it went away

good luck keep us posted

The bump I had/have on my tragus looked a lot like that; after a bunch of gunk came out of it after I'd done a SSS, Kuku advised it was possibly an abcess. So I carried on with twice daily SSS and chamomile compresses, and it's chilled right out. Not completely gone, but it looks no where near as gross, and seems to be getting better slowly but surely.
    Loved piercings: Double nostrils, ear lobes x 2, tragus (left)
    Missed piercings: Navel
    Wish List: third lobe (right ear), rook (right ear), helix (left ear), vertical labret/labret (???), navel (?)

Take all the courage you have left and waste it on the problems that you made in your own head - Mumford & Sons, Little Lion Man

i have a bump like that on the inside of my tragus :(

Do You? Because you have posted on two different topics both with two different pictures of two different bumps to ask advice!

What does your bump look like? Is it skin coloured? Soft? Hard? Does it change colour when pressed? Does stuff come out of the bump? Has it gotten much bigger in the last week or does it just linger around?

Also I notice you post about wearing a curved bar in your tragus, how long is it? Or did you mean a ring? DO you know what it is made from? Are you allergic to cheap store jewellery? and how have you been cleaning the piercing?
    Body Piercer and Creator of Body Poetry
    A Body Piercing advice site complete with fully detailed aftercare guides.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast