Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Something worse than a bleeding pimple under nose stud or am I just a worry wart?

Question Something worse than a bleeding pimple under nose stud or am I just a worry wart?

I've searched this and haven't had any luck finding quite the same situation, so I'm just going to go for it and ask.

I've had my nose pierced (done with a needle in a clean place) for about month now with no problems, but there's been a couple times recently that I have accidently bumped it pretty hard, to the point of there being a split second of stinging pain. And then yesterday I found what looked to be just a pimple under the nose stud. I'm assuming it is a pimple - it was a little white and pink bump, and I've had a few other pimples break out on my face at the same general time (probably due to stress or something).

I didn't pop it. I just cleaned it a little with basic unscented Dial. It looked about the same this morning. I tried a little sea salt water on it earlier, then in the afternoon today I swabbed some witch hazel on it.

Now when I checked it in the mirror, I found it to be bright red, and upon "messing" with it, it's bleeding and there's a little bit of clear oily discharge (clear pus, I'm guessing, or whatever it is that sometimes comes with the basic pimple?). It is also just a little sore like a pimple would be. The biggest thing that is bothering me is that it looks like a volcano that has blown its top. You can't usually see the opening of a pimple, just the little dot of pus or blood when it comes out after being squeezed. But with whatever this is under my nose jewelry, the opening is very tall, wide, and circular. It didn't look like that earlier today. I can't describe it well enough for words, I'm resorting to pictures (sorry to be graphic)...

Is this a basic pimple that will go away if I keep it clean and otherwise leave it alone? Or should I be more worried?

Edit: I'm also having some trouble getting the bleeding to stop. It's not like a massive flow or anything, but as soon as I dab some away, it is immediately replaced by more. I've put just a little more witch hazel on it. I'll have to wait and see how it looks in the morning.
    Last edited by EmilyRose; 04-10-2010 at 07:29 AM.

OMG sorry to crash your thread, but...

I came on here this morning to post a thread asking for advice on a nose problem too... maybe whoever can help will be able to sort us both out?

My piercing is 2 months old, done with a needle, titanium curly back screw in it, been OK ish but knocked a couple of times accidentally, had the bump on and off, been using SSS and nothing else. Well this morning I was soaking it and there was this really sore soft fleshy boil like thing next to it, and it was hurting so much I took a sterile needle and popped it to let the gunk drain out. Some clear puss stuff oozed out, followed by blood, quite a lot of blood, and it bled quite badly for about 10 minutes. It's stopped now and I have cleared it up and the bump has definitely gone down...

but what now?

Sorry again for crashing your thread, I think its a similar problem and I hope someone can help us both?

Thank you
    I'm Corinne

stabbed
    inked
    and not stopping yet

I'm on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=783178572

OP, I want to say your Bump is common hypertrophic scarring which is known as 'The dreaded bump' and is really common on cartilage piercings and is a simple case of irritation to the piercing but the 'meatyness' of the bump and the bleeding you describe looks more like a granuloma which is caused by too much moisture in the area and is more common on navel piercings. So I need some more info if you don't mind:

Firstly, before you popped it you say it looked like a spot? Was it like a lump of flesh, quite hard? Did it change colour when pressed?

Secondly, you say it bled and there was clear discharge but was the discharge from the piercing or the spot?

For now you need to stop using the witch-hazel as its not likely to be doing any good and also stop using the soap. Antibacterial soaps strip the piercing of all the good bacteria it needs to heal with so is constantly undoing the good work your body is trying to achieve. You are much better off just cleaning using regular sea salt soaks (where you soak the piercing in a mug of salty water for 4-10mins) a guide to them can be found here: http://ku-ku.co.uk/Nose.htm .

As for the bleeding you need to apply pressure to the area for 5mins using something clean and absorb-able (tissue and cotton wool aren't great as they leave behind fibres so something like kitchen roll would be better) and then if it hasn't stopped another 5mins and so on till it quits. Then you need to leave it, don't clean it or touch it so that it has a chance to clot properly!

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu1997 View Post
    OMG sorry to crash your thread, but...

I came on here this morning to post a thread asking for advice on a nose problem too... maybe whoever can help will be able to sort us both out?

My piercing is 2 months old, done with a needle, titanium curly back screw in it, been OK ish but knocked a couple of times accidentally, had the bump on and off, been using SSS and nothing else. Well this morning I was soaking it and there was this really sore soft fleshy boil like thing next to it, and it was hurting so much I took a sterile needle and popped it to let the gunk drain out. Some clear puss stuff oozed out, followed by blood, quite a lot of blood, and it bled quite badly for about 10 minutes. It's stopped now and I have cleared it up and the bump has definitely gone down...

but what now?

Sorry again for crashing your thread, I think its a similar problem and I hope someone can help us both?

Thank you
    Heya

Since your bump was poppable and had gunk inside it, to me that sounds like an abscess. You did the right thing by popping and draining it but I would also recommend doing a sea salt soak and then applying a topical non-cream based antiseptic (tea tree oil, savlon spray, diluted TCP, Germaline gel etc) twice a day for the next week just to handle any infection you might have had building up there, that should keep everything ticking over nicely. I wouldn't use the antiseptic for longer than a week because it can interfere with your healing!

Hope that helped!
    Body Piercer and Creator of Body Poetry
    A Body Piercing advice site complete with fully detailed aftercare guides.

That's okay, Corinne!

Quote Originally Posted by kuku View Post
    OP, I want to say your Bump is common hypertrophic scarring which is known as 'The dreaded bump' and is really common on cartilage piercings and is a simple case of irritation to the piercing but the 'meatyness' of the bump and the bleeding you describe looks more like a granuloma which is caused by too much moisture in the area and is more common on navel piercings. So I need some more info if you don't mind:

Firstly, before you popped it you say it looked like a spot? Was it like a lump of flesh, quite hard? Did it change colour when pressed?

Secondly, you say it bled and there was clear discharge but was the discharge from the piercing or the spot?

For now you need to stop using the witch-hazel as its not likely to be doing any good and also stop using the soap. Antibacterial soaps strip the piercing of all the good bacteria it needs to heal with so is constantly undoing the good work your body is trying to achieve. You are much better off just cleaning using regular sea salt soaks (where you soak the piercing in a mug of salty water for 4-10mins) a guide to them can be found here: http://ku-ku.co.uk/Nose.htm .

As for the bleeding you need to apply pressure to the area for 5mins using something clean and absorb-able (tissue and cotton wool aren't great as they leave behind fibres so something like kitchen roll would be better) and then if it hasn't stopped another 5mins and so on till it quits. Then you need to leave it, don't clean it or touch it so that it has a chance to clot properly!

Before it popped, I'm pretty sure it was soft, though I don't know for sure as I had to use my fingernails anytime I was messing with the spot because of the awkward spot it was in, and I couldn't entirely feel the spot. I also don't recall any color change until after it popped, and naturally it was all quite red after that....

The clear discharge was definately from the spot. I have yet to find any problems with the piercing hole itself.

This morning when I inspect the area, the spot was much smaller - more the size it was the first day I noticed it. Still a bit red. But I didn't realize that some dried blood had attached the spot to the stud and scabbed, so when I lifted the stud just a bit to see the spot, it began bleeding again, though not with the same force as last night. I'll be sure to follow you instruction then about applying pressure. Well, I'll be following all your directions. I don't feel as bad about posting this then, because I would've been doing everything wrong.

Thank you very much!

Hehe no problem!

Basically I would say follow the same instructions I gave Corinne as if a bump has fluid inside it that signales to me that its an abscess, especially because since popping its gone down So sea salt soaks + antiseptic for a week should help clear that up for you too Abscess are mostly caused by the piercing not draining properly which is why sea salt soaks are so great, its not always a comment on how you've been cleaning - it can just be the piercing itself having a funny 5 mins!

If you can help it do stop pulling the stud out to see / poke the bump as this will be irritating your piercing and is likely to give you hypertrophic scarring as well!

Good luck with it!

Hehe no problem!

Basically I would say follow the same instructions I gave Corinne as if a bump has fluid inside it that signales to me that its an abscess, especially because since popping its gone down So sea salt soaks + antiseptic for a week should help clear that up for you too Abscess are mostly caused by the piercing not draining properly which is why sea salt soaks are so great, its not always a comment on how you've been cleaning - it can just be the piercing itself having a funny 5 mins!

If you can help it do stop pulling the stud out to see / poke the bump as this will be irritating your piercing and is likely to give you hypertrophic scarring as well!

Good luck with it!
    Mine was really sore again this morning and still had lots of gunky stuff trapped beneath the surface so I popped it again and let the gunk out, bled again, looked shit (sorry!) and now its just looking a bit sorry for itself. I am going into town on Tues so I;ll pop into Urban and ask them what they think. Because honestly if this isn't going to sort itself out in a few weeks I'm going to get rid of it. I have already lost one nose piercing and I really don't want to lose this one but I can't stand feeling this sore and it looking so ugly and gross...

Continuing with SSS and putting a drop of tea tree oil in just to make sure any infection is being dealt with

Thanks for advice ....

Emily hope yours is a happier bunny today?
    I'm Corinne

stabbed
    inked
    and not stopping yet

I'm on Facebook

Rather than putting the tea tree into the soak (remember oil floats on water so its not going to dilute itself) put it directly onto the bump, it needs the antiseptic directly really

When you popped and drained it you should have done a soak afterwards to, to pull everything out but otherwise the antiseptic applied directly should help to sort it out.

Whatever you do right now don't take it out, if you have an infection brewing you risk trapping it under the bar. Plus bumps are generally treatable so its silly to loose a piercing over one because they will get sorted eventually - don't loose hope!

Hope your piercer can give you a hand too!

Rather than putting the tea tree into the soak (remember oil floats on water so its not going to dilute itself) put it directly onto the bump, it needs the antiseptic directly really

When you popped and drained it you should have done a soak afterwards to, to pull everything out but otherwise the antiseptic applied directly should help to sort it out.

Whatever you do right now don't take it out, if you have an infection brewing you risk trapping it under the bar. Plus bumps are generally treatable so its silly to loose a piercing over one because they will get sorted eventually - don't loose hope!

Hope your piercer can give you a hand too!
    Hi, thanks for quick reply, yeah I did soak it straight after the popping and it stung like a b****! I am just a bit scared of putting the tt oil straight on it, I had a piercing in the other side which never settled down and I put so much stuff on it I think I pissed it off beyond belief and I just got fed up in the end and removed it.. and had it redone on the other side. Maybe I am not very patient.... I don't know! I do want a piercing though but I am sick of walking around looking like Rudolph with a sore nose!

I am glad to hear that they can get sorted out, that gives me hope to carry on being kind to it!

And I will go to Urban and speak to one of their guys see what they think?

I need to get dressed really, I have been up since 7 and still slobbing around in PJs...
    I'm Corinne

stabbed
    inked
    and not stopping yet

I'm on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu1997 View Post

I am glad to hear that they can get sorted out, that gives me hope to carry on being kind to it!
    Oye vay; you're really not having a good time with the old nose piercings are you, Pingu? :( Just keep persevering I'd say; you've put this much time and effort in, you may as well keep on trooping!

EmilyRose - that looks really sore :( Kuku's probably best for diagnosing what it is, but I've had a squishy red lump a couple of times on my right side nostril piercing - though it didn't look quite like yours - (about 3 months old now, as a result of smacking myself in the face) and whenever that happens I attack it with savlon spray. Dries the surrounding skin out, but it seems to chill the bump out, though I realise it could have a drying effect as well on the healing wound site as well.

Last time I smacked myself, it also got slightly infected (very red, felt warm to the touch, darker than normal lymph), so on top of the SSS I was also diluting 2 capfuls of TCP in the hot water I was soaking in (I use a smallish mixing bowl, which is about 3 mugs) and the bump has calmed down again after about a week of that.
    Loved piercings: Double nostrils, ear lobes x 2, tragus (left)
    Missed piercings: Navel
    Wish List: third lobe (right ear), rook (right ear), helix (left ear), vertical labret/labret (???), navel (?)

Take all the courage you have left and waste it on the problems that you made in your own head - Mumford & Sons, Little Lion Man

Yup antiseptics are good in the case of an abscess if the tea tree oil is too strong for you then use savlon spray instead as its made for sensitive skin and you're treating an infection not a bump so its a bit different than treating the more common hypertrophic scarring bumps which are caused by irritation I understand you not wanting to use things that are going to affect your healing but its important to clear this minor infection up so the bump stays away and everything goes back to normal. A week of using antiseptic shouldn't really affect your healing time but a abscess that keeps reforming is more likely to lead to a worse infection and added complications!

Ladylish if your bump looked more like hard skin chances are its probably hypertrophic scarring caused by irritation (probably the knocking!) if it ever comes back again rather than savlon (which isn't great on a healing piercing and should be avoided unless you are treating an infection or abscess) try hot chamomile tea either as a soak where you hold the piercing under the water for 5mins or so or by using the hot tea bag as a compress as its much kinder to a piercing than savlon and helps soothe irritation so works wonders on bumps (can take a few weeks if they're stubborn!)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast