Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Do you like metal?

Deathcore ftw. And black metal

I gotta disagree there. Pretty much all deathcore is identikit copies of the first bands. I honestly can't think of a band in that genre who aren't abysmal.
    If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.

Lifting big, getting bigger.

No use for an imaginary friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Maark View Post
    I gotta disagree there. Pretty much all deathcore is identikit copies of the first bands. I honestly can't think of a band in that genre who aren't abysmal.

I agree and disagree with you. Some are dreadful(Waking the Cadaver) But there are some actual really good ones out there. Some good ones include Whitechapel and Job for a cowboy's newer album. I don't know if you heard it(JFAC's new album) but it's actually really technical and intricate. Their drummer is a beast.

I might look into it - my problem with the genre is mostly the structuring - it almost entirely follows the tech riff / finger tap to vague chorus to breakdown and repeats. And in most cases, every song sounds exactly the same to me.

I'm finding the standard V/C/V/C/M8/C/C structure boring now, hell, most song structures are boring me sideways. Songs that lack a defined structure are appealing a lot more to me, especially if they're built around a progression. An example I'd give would be Gojira's Backbone - there's repetition and two distinct segments, but nothing resembling a chorus.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohhey View Post
    I agree and disagree with you. Some are dreadful(Waking the Cadaver) But there are some actual really good ones out there. Some good ones include Whitechapel and Job for a cowboy's newer album. I don't know if you heard it(JFAC's new album) but it's actually really technical and intricate. Their drummer is a beast.
    THANK YOU! It was bugging me SO MUCH last week trying to remember who did this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCBSX0XDSVI (which I forgot to look up later :p).
    Stef

Mods:

Left ear: Lobe, 2x 1.6mm inner conches, 1.2mm rook, 1.6mm helix (newest).
    Right ear: Lobe, 1.6mm tragus (stretched), 1.2mm daith.
    Other: 2.5mm centre labret (stretched), 8mm septum (stretched), 1.6mm nape.
    Retired: 4x 1.6mm lobe, 1.6mm snakebites, 2.4mm venoms, 1.6mm anti-tragus, 10mm and 12mm lobes.

Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Slania View Post
    THANK YOU! It was bugging me SO MUCH last week trying to remember who did this (which I forgot to look up later :p).
    your welcome lol. If you like that they actually rerecorded it and another song called blood splattered satisfaction

Ya I gotcha. JFAC like i said is actually really talented. They use a lot of different meters and they change the time signature a lot. They also like harmonic minor. If you do decide to look it up look up the song unfurling a darkened gospel. Their new music actually rarely has breakdowns. Just technical death metal. And it sounds like you'd like it lol. Do you like The Faceless?
    Last edited by Ohhey; 04-20-2010 at 03:29 AM.

I'm not really big on death metal styles myself - I'm more of a fan of progressive stuff - SikTh, etc - heavy polyrhythmics and suchforth.

I actually don't like Waking the Cadavar, just the hilarity of the misheard lyrics video, sorry :p.
    Stef

Mods:

Left ear: Lobe, 2x 1.6mm inner conches, 1.2mm rook, 1.6mm helix (newest).
    Right ear: Lobe, 1.6mm tragus (stretched), 1.2mm daith.
    Other: 2.5mm centre labret (stretched), 8mm septum (stretched), 1.6mm nape.
    Retired: 4x 1.6mm lobe, 1.6mm snakebites, 2.4mm venoms, 1.6mm anti-tragus, 10mm and 12mm lobes.

Gallery

The agony scene, The black dahlia murder, and static-x are some of my favs :3

Iwrestledabearonce is pretty good too