Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tragus catastrophe!

Default Tragus catastrophe!

I have had what can only be described as a tragus catastrophe. My tragus (2nd time it's been pierced) is around 6 months old. It's been effectively healed for a while except the occasional knock. I wear a 1.2mm titanium barbell in it.

Last night it must have come loose and fell off while I was asleep. It's now 1.30pm and I've JUST noticed it was naked. Queue panic. I'm in my uni room and didn't bring any 'back up' jewellery so after looking for ages and not being able to find the barbell, I had to put a generic earring in there (0.8mm silver butterfly back) to keep the hole open. That hurt like a bitch, and I didn't put the back on because it was just to keep it open till I found something more appropriate. After a lot of fiddling, I managed to put in my 1.2mm steel labret I wear in my helix (3 years old, very healed, can handle 12 hrs naked). That was the most painful experience ever as I essentially ended up re opening the hole. I put it in backwards so I could see what I was doing, and for the past 10 mins I've been sssing it.

Thing is, I can wear steel in well healed piercings but it makes my unhealed ones angry. I don't have any more titanium though and there's no piercer in York I'd touh with a bargepole. Luckily I'm going home tonight but I need your advice. Should I change it to a titanium one as soon as I get home? Leave it to settle down and see if it can deal with the steel? Go back to my piercer in Worcester and ask her to change it? Urgh - I really don't want to retire it over this :-/

Please no ranting about me using a butterfly back, I'm aware they're bad but I'm desperate to keep this piercing and I had nothing else to use - the 1.2 wouldn't go in at all until I'd stretched it open.

Owie :-( I'm sad
    Left Ear: 3 x Lobe, Helix, Tragus, Forward helix (Remnant of a Scaffold)
    Right Ear: Rook, 3 x Lobe, Auricle, Conch
    Other: Tongue, Navel
    Retired: Thumb Web, L. Tragus, Botched VCH :(, Back hole of Scaffold.
    Future: Uncertain

I'd probably change it to titanium as soon as you can (either going to the piercer in Worcester or changing it yourself - piercer would be ideal if that wouldn't be much more trouble!) and then just be really careful with it. If you know it's likely to get pissed off with the steel in there's not much point in trying to keep it in for any longer than necessary.

Thanks a lot. I won't get back to Worcester until around 7.30 tonight which is a pain so depending on whether it will settle down before then, I might change it or might leave it until Monday and go to the piercer. Urgh - this is pants. I'm just massively grateful it happened last night rather than any other time - I haven't been home in 12 weeks so it's a bit of luck it happened now when I can get to a decent piercer :-/

This happened to mine, I kept an earring in it until I found a more suitable piece of jewellery then I gently stretched it back up to 1.2mm. You will be fine.
    Piercings
    Both Nostrils
    Smiley
    Right Ear: 10mm lobe, 2 x 1.2mm lobe
    2 x Helix
    Tragus
    Forward Helix
    Left Ear: 10mm lobe, 4mm lobe, 3.2mm lobe

Retired
    Inverse Navel :(
    Navel :(

Tattoos
    6 small ones.

Wishlist
    Nape
    Venoms
    Right Ear: Snug
    Left Ear: Surface Tragus
    Inner Conch
    Outer Conch
    Helix

I'd say your best off changing it back to a titanium bar asap - Give it a nice SSS just before you change it and it should make the process a bit easier. Also lube your jewellery using some K Y jelly (water based 'sex' lube) or vitamin e oil / olive oil as that will make the change smoother too.

If you were occasionally experiencing flare-ups anyway its likely your tragus was just going through a good patch rather than fully healed so just continue to baby it and i'm sure it will carry on healing fine - you may find you get a bump so it might be worth getting some chamomile tea in and its a good idea to sea salt soak once a day or so for the next week just to help it settle down again!
    Body Piercer and Creator of Body Poetry
    A Body Piercing advice site complete with fully detailed aftercare guides.

This happened to me as well!
    Bar fell out, found the bar but not the ball so it was just too risky, though it had been out for long enough when I tried to get in the 1.2mm bar it wouldn't go. Tried a 1mm labret stud from my helix, still no good. I ended up having to put a butterfly back stud in there first and then gradually went back up.
    Current
    Ears: Left forward and standard helix, left tragus, left daith. Right rook, right double inner conch. 1g and 14g lobes.
    Face: Right nostril, septum, vertical labret.
    Other: Tongue, standard and inverse navel, left and right nipple.

Hi guys. Just got home and it's not hurting anymore. Still red and angry but not painful. I'm not goin to change it to the titanium tonight because it could do with settling down for a while. I'll do another SSS tonight, and I've found some
    vitamin e oil so I'll pamper it a bit. Thanks for all the help. Panicking doesn't help I suppose.

Update:

I managed to get back to the piercer today and they changed it to a new titanium 1.2mm labret - It feels like my ear has been kissed by God haha - it's SO much better.

Random question though: I was charged 5 for the new labret stud, even though it was them who put the old one in loosely so the ball fell off and it got lost. Do you find it a bit off that I got charged more than the price of a new labret stud to have it replaced and fitted, when it was kind of their mistake that the old one fell out? I don't know - maybe I'm just being a stingey student, but I found it a bit weird =/

Well some studios charge for fitting a bar and some don't. Personally I'm more concerned about healthy piercings than making money but if they live in a place where they are constantly being asked to changed jewellery (perhaps from other piercers mistakes) you can't blame them for charging i guess.

As for blaming them for a loose ball tbh after 6 months of having it in its actually kinda more your fault rather than theirs because its your job to check every so often that the ball is on tight enough after all they put it on tight enough to last 6 months and balls do become loose over time. In fairness though they should have told you to check it every so often since it is such a long healer.

As a student however I commiserate with you on your lost of a whole 5 because of a loose ball I mean bleh! Really :/
    Body Piercer and Creator of Body Poetry
    A Body Piercing advice site complete with fully detailed aftercare guides.

Yeah, I don't think you can still say it's 'kinda their fault' after 6 months tbh! Haha. The cost seems reasonable to me (well, reasonable in that other studios would charge that - I still wouldn't want to pay it myself )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast