Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nipple Piercings

Red face Nipple Piercings

I've had my nipples pieced for about 4 years. I went through the normal healing back when I get them done - 3-4 days of soreness, then it gradually got better and was completely healed and pain-free within a month or two (I can't really remember the exact timing, it was so long ago).

My body has adjusted well, they no longer hurt, no soreness, no tenderness, no puss ... but everyday there are crusties on the same side of both piercings. It's weird because back during the healing process, there were crusties on both sides, now it's just the left sides. Like I said, they're not sore or painful, no puss, no redness or itchiness .. just the crusties that smell awfully bad.

Any ideas about what could be causing this? It's been like this for a long time and I have just accepted it as my body's reaction to the piercing .. but I've been seeing this guy and now that I'm being intimate with someone - for the first time in a long time - I'm self-conscience.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

dpack_1

Firstly, what jewellery are you wearing? bars, bcr's, d rings? and what material is the jewellery.

Hopefully you can just switch to some titanium bars and that'll solve all your problems but otherwise it could be a number of things, a minor reaction to certain fabrics in clothing, or your laundry detergent. any lotions or creams you use. perfume. lots of things really.

Though as i just said, making sure you have pure titanium in, and doing nothing but sea salt soaks for a couple weeks 'should' make it all calm down after having them for that long.

dpack - Thanks for your reply! I wear bar's - I actually just switched jewelry, but this problem has been present before and after I got this new jewelry. I'm not exactly sure what material the jewelry is - I just went to the website and it says that the use "implant grade stainless steel" and "implant grade titanium." I dropped a pretty penny for the pair ($60), so I'm assuming it's the titanium? But I'm not sure.

I will try the sea salt soaks - I did a lot of that when they were freshly pierced. Thanks for your advice.

Hmm, thats a tricky one as Dpack says it really could be caused by anything!

I hope they're titanium at that price but you can never be sure and it might be worth switching to something non-metal based if the sea salt soaks don't solve it as a bad / poor quality coat on implant titanium can cause sensitive people some problems.

PTFE bars are implant grade too but are completely metal free so could help you if the bars are the problem.

I would follow Dpacks advice first though - sea salt soaks should help to calm things down and pull out anything under the bar that might causing irritation too.
    Body Piercer and Creator of Body Poetry
    A Body Piercing advice site complete with fully detailed aftercare guides.

since there is a topic already about nipple piercings open, i'm wondering...i got my nipple pierced on Monday (with a bar) and its still bleeding a little today, i clean it with salty water (for 5 mins) and also clean it with oderless and colourless soap...but its still bleeding a little...am i doing anything wrong?

dpack_1

Male or Female?

Are you wearing unpadded bras or anything lacy that it could catch on?

Is it painful, red or producing any other discharge other than a bit of blood?

Is it lots of blood or just dried crusty blood you're noticing?

I am a female, and i wear lace bras (i've got some padded ones as well), but the piercing doesn't get caught in them and it bleeds a little, not alot, but i clean a off the dry blood off the piercing and it bleeds a little again, it dose hurt a little still...but thats normal i guess?
    Last edited by BlackRose666; 03-19-2010 at 05:28 PM.

dpack_1

Cut out the lace, whether you feel it or not it might well be snagging. stick to plain cotton if you have it.

How are you cleaning off the dried blood? You should just be soaking them in a warm sea salt solution and definitely not just picking at them or rubbing them or anything, if the crusties dont just fall off then soak them for longer or in hotter water.

the hurting is still quite normal though, they are only 4 days old afterall.

Quote Originally Posted by dpack_1 View Post
    Cut out the lace, whether you feel it or not it might well be snagging. stick to plain cotton if you have it.

How are you cleaning off the dried blood? You should just be soaking them in a warm sea salt solution and definitely not just picking at them or rubbing them or anything, if the crusties dont just fall off then soak them for longer or in hotter water.

the hurting is still quite normal though, they are only 4 days old afterall.
    Is it good to cover the nipple with a cottan pad with warm salty water in my bra AFTER cleaing the nipple? and I was using cotten swabs to take off the crusted dry blood.
    Last edited by BlackRose666; 03-19-2010 at 06:06 PM.

Are you soaking them? Getting the nipples into the cup of water for 5mins at a time and then gently removing the soggy crusty bits with a wet cotton bud is how you should be cleaning them. A cotton wool pad doesn't stay hot enough for long enough or get right inside the piercing to give it a proper clean so the crusties remain hard and stuck to the skin - meaning when you pull them off you're more likely to start the bleeding again (they can also leave fibres behind in the piercing which can cause irritation).

Sleeping on your front at night is also likely to put pressure on the piercing and cause problems so make you you're doing that :P

Nipple piercings are quite well known for being bleeders so investing in some nursing pads to go inside your bra may help cushion things and protect your bras from staining.

If the bleeding is starting up right after the cleaning it really might be worth leaving off the cleaning for 24 hours to give the piercing a chance to clot and scab over properly without you interfering also!
    Body Piercer and Creator of Body Poetry
    A Body Piercing advice site complete with fully detailed aftercare guides.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast