Page 21 of 101 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303171 ... LastLast

Thread: Uni chat

Which ones?

Im rethinking uni now. When i applied i defo wanted to go now im really not bothered & 20,000+ of debt doesnt seem worth it when i can learn the same stuff from apprenticeships and whatnot

Have i gone mad? Im afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But i'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.

Quote Originally Posted by IckleNatStar View Post
    Congratulations!

I think I've decided which unis I'm applying to now
    You'll be applying for Vet Med?

I'm well jealous, I would have loved to have worked in that sort of area, but my brain could not do sciences past GCSE level.

Which unis have you narrowed it down to?

Quote Originally Posted by Lyssssa :) View Post
    Which ones?

Im rethinking uni now. When i applied i defo wanted to go now im really not bothered & 20,000+ of debt doesnt seem worth it when i can learn the same stuff from apprenticeships and whatnot
    I would definatelly think hard about that one. Not saying you SHOULD go to uni but the focus will be very different between Uni and an apprenticeships, you wont learn the same stuff. It also depends on the sector within your interest you wish to go into.

An apprenticeship will typically teach you how to get the job done. It will teach you what you need to do that particular job and similar jobs, which is very good for some careers's etc. But uni has a different purpose, it will teach you the theory, and encourage you to develop skills to expand this basic understanding to apply it to different situations, i.e. to develop self sufficiency. A lot of people can get high marks from uni even if they arent self sufficient though, which is a shame.

I know 3 people who did electrical and electronic engineering apprenticships, and they were appalling, one actually asked me why a 3-phase motor was going the wrong way, because you got 2 of the phases round the wrong f*cking way. Another had a panic because 2 buttons did the opposite of the label on a milling machine (i.e. forward went back and back went forward) which was a simple task and he couldnt understand the wiring diagram to correct the wiring, swap the buttons possition in the housing maybe? I found (at least in 2 of their cases) they had learnt to emulate, not to understand!

On the other hand for other jobs the apprenticeship is the way to go!

I also think people way overthink the debt associated with going to uni. If you are going for the sake of going maybe its not worth it, but if you choose a functional course, or one you really enjoy then it is a no-brainer to me.

im doing an apprenticeship , i do part time uni (applied chemistry), NVQ 2 and NVQ 3 and work full time for a chemical company. Its hard work but having no debt and getting bonuses for finishing the NVQs is all good . I get paid 10k and pay no fees for my uni. Despite the work load i got a first for my first year 1/5th of my degree done, 2nd year PT modules are actually easier than first year so woop If you find and apprenticeship where you get qualifications like NVQ 3 and 4 or higher then its well worth it work experience is essential when looking for a job but it does depend on what sector you're looking at

Quote Originally Posted by TheArctopus View Post
    I would definatelly think hard about that one. Not saying you SHOULD go to uni but the focus will be very different between Uni and an apprenticeships, you wont learn the same stuff. It also depends on the sector within your interest you wish to go into.

An apprenticeship will typically teach you how to get the job done. It will teach you what you need to do that particular job and similar jobs, which is very good for some careers's etc. But uni has a different purpose, it will teach you the theory, and encourage you to develop skills to expand this basic understanding to apply it to different situations, i.e. to develop self sufficiency. A lot of people can get high marks from uni even if they arent self sufficient though, which is a shame.

I know 3 people who did electrical and electronic engineering apprenticships, and they were appalling, one actually asked me why a 3-phase motor was going the wrong way, because you got 2 of the phases round the wrong f*cking way. Another had a panic because 2 buttons did the opposite of the label on a milling machine (i.e. forward went back and back went forward) which was a simple task and he couldnt understand the wiring diagram to correct the wiring, swap the buttons possition in the housing maybe? I found (at least in 2 of their cases) they had learnt to emulate, not to understand!

On the other hand for other jobs the apprenticeship is the way to go!

I also think people way overthink the debt associated with going to uni. If you are going for the sake of going maybe its not worth it, but if you choose a functional course, or one you really enjoy then it is a no-brainer to me.
    I wouldnt be thinking of not going if i was going to be doing a course that required more knowledge or whatever, but id be doing a retail course. Theres apprenticeships in which you can get basic retail qualifications and theres a chance to work your way up through the company, but then theres some theory which i wont get from that.
    I dont know,, i have a little while longer to think it over anyhow.

Have i gone mad? Im afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But i'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.

do the apprenticeship and open uni?

Thats an option yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyssssa :) View Post
    Which ones?

Quote Originally Posted by elby View Post
    You'll be applying for Vet Med?

I'm well jealous, I would have loved to have worked in that sort of area, but my brain could not do sciences past GCSE level.

Which unis have you narrowed it down to?
    Yep vetmed I'm so excited about it

I've narrowed it down to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Nottingham and RVC in London I think
    Got: Left Ear: Lobe (19mm/5mm/1.6mm), 4xhelix, 5mm conch

Right Ear: Lobe (19mm/5mm/1.6mm), inner helix, orbital (Top)

Other: 4xtongue (2/2.4/3.2mm), septum

Anyone else going to Uni. Southampton? Just curious, ha!

current - 4x lobes, standard navel & inverse navel
    Ink - lotus flower & hand of fatima on upper back, unalome behind left ear, live in the moment script inner right arm, bauhinia flower dotwork on right wrist, capricorn & snake zodiac signs on left wrist, patience is beautiful in arabic on left inner elbow, wanderlust on right side feet, what goes around comes back around back of right thigh, tibetan script on left ribs

Quote Originally Posted by IckleNatStar View Post
    Yep vetmed I'm so excited about it

I've narrowed it down to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Nottingham and RVC in London I think
    How many can you apply to? Which would be your preferred choice?