Page 1 of 53 123456789101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Rollergirls?

Default Rollergirls?

Does anyone here do any kinda roller derby stuff?

I was gonna join the London Rollergirls this month but it turns out I cant quite afford the membership... Think I'll buy some skates and gradually buy the pads and helmet while I practice in the car park!

Would be nice to hear from others who are fans, or who do it, or would any London girls fancy joining up later in the year?

It just seems more fun than joining a gym, and more social, plus a lot of modded girls are involved, as opposed to skinny gym Barbies!

I've always thought this looks like so much fun but I've never looked into it properly, I didn't even know there were any roller girls in the UK! Do you have to have any previous roller skating experience/be good at it? I haven't had a go since I was about 10 (on the grass in the garden, lol) so I think I'd be shockingly bad :(

There is the 'rookie' section, who are the girls who can move about on skates but arent too confident, or good enough to compete yet. Thats what I wanna work up to!

Yeah, the London Rollergirls are in London (obviously, lol), and I think there are more in the country..

I just need to know where to buy skates, I can only find kids 4-wheeled ones, no adult sizes!

Hm, I like the fact that there's a rookie section, makes the idea of giving it a go more possible! I made myself a promise this year that I would try my best to try new things and stop being so boring

The only thing that's putting me off (besides my inablility to skate) is money. How much was the membership? Do they have a website or anything like that?

Edit: Oh, and I hope you manage to find some skates! There must be some avaliable somewhere :-o

I dunno, I already knew of the london Rollergirls, maybe try googling rollergirls and your local area name?

Membership was 30 a month I think, which is what I payed for my gym anyway!

There are Bedfordshire roller girls! :-o I would have thought London would be the closest one to me (only about 40 mins away on the train) they say they do one on one training if you're awful, which is good, it's definitely something to think about

Yeah, i think what puts me off sport was that at school it was all the popular kids who did it, and I would have been given so much hassle I never bothered, but I think it would be a nice gym alternative, and a good way to meet new mates... Definatly later in the year!

Southampton, UK... Close to Spectacular...!

Get skating Miharu, as long as you don't brake anything it's actually really good exercise. It tones and tightens legs, bums and it makes a considerable difference to your abs as well as doing cardio. I stick my iPod on and go out skating for about 3hrs at a time. It's a bit like riding a bicycle you can get lost in it and ignore everyone and escape for a bit...

I've tried inline skates, just don't like 'em. I have a pair of hockey quads I go out on.

Good luck with the roller derby, they're vicious...

"
    Pass the crystal, Spread the tarot, In illusion comfort lies..."

hehe, I imagine it to be like getting to the front at a rowdy gig... Im good at barging people, despite being quite small!

Im gonna get some skates anyway, a lot of people have said how good it is for exercisea and theyre cute!

I might start going running until I can afford some decent skates (dont wanna pay for crap that will break) to build up my endurance...

Where on earth would I buy skates?? Ive never really looked before!

Quote Originally Posted by Miharu View Post
    Yeah, i think what puts me off sport was that at school it was all the popular kids who did it, and I would have been given so much hassle I never bothered, but I think it would be a nice gym alternative, and a good way to meet new mates... Definatly later in the year!
    Yep me too, I always hated PE and sports days, I'd put in the smallest amount of effort possible and do my best to get out of it whenever I could, purely because of everyone else. But if I could go back now and play the games we used to play with nice people I'd probably love it! If you do fine some skates, will you post a link in this thread?

Page 1 of 53 123456789101151 ... LastLast