Page 48 of 53 FirstFirst ... 38394041424344454647484950515253 LastLast

Thread: Rollergirls?

Quote Originally Posted by Scarred_pierced View Post
    I'm getting a bit nervous about the freshmeat sesh, I've become really unfit lately and put on a fair bit of weight. Plus it's all in the middle of me moving. Argh stresss.
    Seriously - you have nothing to be worried about. Believe me, if I could get through it, anyone can!! I promise you you'll be fine. xxxx
    Hiya - I'm Emma!

Piercings: lobes x 3, Tragus, Helix, Navel, Conch, Sternum Microdermals x 2, VCH, Central Labret, Forward Helix

Tattoos: Stars on inner forearm, Rat on inner ankle, Dotwork Star Mandala on shoulder & Lotus/Butterfly on hip

http://www.facebook.com/emmalsims

Scarred_pierced

I havn't been skating for a while either!

Quote Originally Posted by Rattybabe View Post
    I have made the decision to pull back from scrimmaging for a bit, as I just don't feel ready. I have been struggling with giving and taking hits, and have decided to concentrate on my strength and flexibility before I continue. I have been gradually losing confidence since passing my minimums. I will still be going to training, but will be learning to ref, and helping out with the freshies until I get myself fitter.
    Surely a hard decision but it's great to know your limits. I've been in a pack with people who were not ready and someone went to the hospital (literally). I know when I hurt my ankle this season it was the hardest thing ever to not get right back into scriming. It's a fine line between pushing yourself to get better and getting in prematurely.

And Jordan - not that I know you in person, but honestly I could not have been more unfit and totally overweight when I started fresh meat. Unlike most typical sports where everyone has been playing since utero, most everyone is just starting derby at so many physical levels. I'm still overweight but it I'm kinda happy about it since it gives me more oomph to my hits.
    Piercings: 9/16" & 6g lobes | 8g septum | some others
    Other: 1 cutting | some tattoos

Quote Originally Posted by DehTripper View Post
    I'm still overweight but it I'm kinda happy about it since it gives me more oomph to my hits.
    I am somewhere in-between! I'm not big enough for it to help me with my hits, but overweight enough to be desperately unfit!

Jordan - I think you are probably expecting something completely different to what it actually is! Honestly - we are all shapes and sizes and levels of fitness - Freshmeat is really pretty easy.
    Hiya - I'm Emma!

Piercings: lobes x 3, Tragus, Helix, Navel, Conch, Sternum Microdermals x 2, VCH, Central Labret, Forward Helix

Tattoos: Stars on inner forearm, Rat on inner ankle, Dotwork Star Mandala on shoulder & Lotus/Butterfly on hip

A pic from our photoshoot a couple of weeks back!

Hiya - I'm Emma!

Jordan - if I can get through freshmeat anyone can go for it!!!!!!! Plus you know you can already skate!! I hadn't had quad skates on since I was ickle, spent most of the freshmeat sesh wobbling about, falling over, and complaining cos my foot was so tense it was killing me.
    Was at the first training session on Wednesday there and I'm improving already. Sweat like a big fat pig but had a great time, and didn't fall except on purpose.

Now I need my right foot to stop thinking it's a monkey foot trying to grip a branch. Ow.

... and yes indeed there are all shapes and sizes of girls there

Emma you look frickin amazing <3

(thinking out loud here sorry)
    Helmet: shop tomorrow hopefully.
    Wrists: 187 pro, Med
    Elbows: 187 Killer, Med (wtf's the difference between killer and pro??)
    Knees: Scabs, L/XL
    Skates: TBC, probs Suregrip Rebel Avengers but unsure of size. Plus toe guards.
    Ballpark total 350. Ouch.
    Last edited by kitebunny; 06-29-2012 at 09:15 PM.
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue

The "killer" bit is just part of the brand name - "187 killer pads". They only do one elbow pad, but 2 knee pads - pro and fly.

What shoe size are you? Skate Britain sell the Rebel Avengers in the actual Suregrip sizes - as a guide, I take a uk size 5 - 6, and mine were a size 6. I more often take a shoe size 5, but occasionally a 6 for the extra width.

And thanks for the compliment!
    Hiya - I'm Emma!

Ah ok, thanks. Depending on shoe type/brand I'm either a 6 or a 7 :/ have arranged with someone on the team to try on her size 7 GT-50's this week, same boot design just not leather.

(edit) went to my local skate shop this morning, only derby skates they really have are Riedell R3's - tried on the 7's, still toe-pinchingly narrow. Blokey says he'll have some more stuff in next week including suregrips so I'll go try some on.
    I was explaining to him how I'm either a 6 or 7 depending on brand or shoe type - he had a poke at my feet in my Toms and declared I'm a 7.5 .... errr no I'm not. But whatever. The number on the shoe doesn't really bother me as long as it fits :P

The quest for derby gear continues ...
    Last edited by kitebunny; 06-30-2012 at 12:32 PM.

VCH, 5mm tongue

Double post sorry but....

I'm not sure these have enough ankle support for derby?

These look better

VCH, 5mm tongue

Haha. Those are great. Id actually love some doc martens with a plate in them someday - would be sooooo comfy.

And Emma - love it!!!
    Piercings: 9/16" & 6g lobes | 8g septum | some others
    Other: 1 cutting | some tattoos