Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Haiti Earthquake Crisis

Lol as a volunteer for Oxfam I say thank you!

We've been having huuuuge amounts of donations in the shop. We've taken a whole days average takings in donations for Haiti alone today. And a weeks takings in a day with the shop sales included.

It's great for Haiti that we are able to do this. We use the money to buy things they need from local businesses out there so not only does it physically help them it improves their economy to some extent.. (hence why we won't send peoples underwear out to Africa or any other place!)
    ,.-~*'"'` Rach `'"'*~-.,

Piercings

Current:

2 pinnas (Left Ear) * 4 lobes (Two Each Ear) * Navel * Tongue * Tragus * Duel Nostril (Right Side) * Spiderbites (Right side) (Retired but I want them back!)

Tattoos

Current:

Memorial Tattoo Of A "B" With Wings

Funniest forum member 2010

Joint winners: Chumley and DavyBobMacca

The most sarcastic forum member 2010

Winner: DavyBobMacca

Senior Member DreadfulFaeryFalls's Avatar

I know this will sound horribly cynical but how much of the donated cash is actually going to get through to haiti? How much is going to get swallowed up by admin costs etc.

How do you seperate cash donated to a specific appeal. Where does it go?

We use the money to buy things they need from local businesses out there so not only does it physically help them it improves their economy to some extent..
    Nearly the entire infrastucture on Haiti has been destroyed, are there any businesses to buy goods from??
    Current: Lobes at 14mm
    Tatotos: Bluebell at base of spine, winged heart with stars between shoulder blades

Retired: 3rd lobe,auricle and upper helix, both nipples, reverse navel, snakebites *sob*

Quote Originally Posted by .Only.Streetlights. View Post
    I'm surprised this hasn't had more response on the forum tbh. This is disaster on such a massive scale, it's very hard to fathom.

Thoughts go out to all those affected, and I hope people can find some spare cash/items to help those in need of aid. I've donated to these guys before: http://www.yele.org/ but there's hundreds of charities offering support.
    tbh think is way i didn't reply until now. everytime i watch the news and it comes on i have to change the channel. i'm not sure why ( possibly because i know they are going to have to a difficult time trying to recover..) but whenever i see it i feel so sad. i wish i could go there and help
    lobes 20mm
    venoms 4mm
    2nd lobe 1.6mm
    nipples 1.6mm
    tragus 1.2mm
    navel 1.6mm
    septum 8mm
    conch 5 mm ( punched)

Quote Originally Posted by Maark View Post
    Val , if your hair were edible, world hunger wouldn't be an issue anymore. How much of there if its straightened? O_O

non procedit qui dubitat

Quote Originally Posted by DreadfulFaeryFalls View Post
    I know this will sound horribly cynical but how much of the donated cash is actually going to get through to haiti? How much is going to get swallowed up by admin costs etc.

How do you seperate cash donated to a specific appeal. Where does it go?

Nearly the entire infrastucture on Haiti has been destroyed, are there any businesses to buy goods from??
    1. People who donate it in the collection tins or through the till via the "donation paperwork" (with or without Gift Aid) the entire collection goes to Haiti specifically or whatever the other DEC focus is. (DEC meaning Distaster Emergency Comittee).

2. It is separated by how it goes through the till. There are different buttons. There is a specific one for "Donations" and this logs the amount of donations and is followed up with reciepts and the paperwork previously mentioned. And as mentioned it goes to the main DEC focus.

3. Whatever businesses are left will be bought from and whatever we can't get will be bought close by to reduce air/sea/road freight costs so the majority of the money is spent souly on the businesses that need it and on the items that are needed from the businesses.

The "Department Total" which is the donated good we recieve and sell (like clothes and toys etc) and the "New Product Total" which is the new items and food (various books and toys that are fairtrade etc.) are what cover admin costs etc. HOWEVER!!! you can only use less than (I THINK) 10-15% of a shop's income (excluding the donations) to cover their own admin costs.

Donation totals, Unwrapped (the goats etc) and "Department/New Product" totals are completely separate. They are only joined by the till. Once it's in the bank and financial team's care they are unrelated and go to exactly where they are meant to go.

Sorry for the essay - I'm just trying to make it as clear as possible lol!
    ,.-~*'"'` Rach `'"'*~-.,

Piercings

Current:

2 pinnas (Left Ear) * 4 lobes (Two Each Ear) * Navel * Tongue * Tragus * Duel Nostril (Right Side) * Spiderbites (Right side) (Retired but I want them back!)

Tattoos

Current:

Memorial Tattoo Of A "B" With Wings

Funniest forum member 2010

Joint winners: Chumley and DavyBobMacca

The most sarcastic forum member 2010

Winner: DavyBobMacca

The reason I never respond to these kind of things is that there really isn't much to say..disasters occur all the time yanno?
    It's sad but I can't really do much about it where I am.
    Current
    Ears: Left forward and standard helix, left tragus, left daith. Right rook, right double inner conch. 1g and 14g lobes.
    Face: Right nostril, septum, vertical labret.
    Other: Tongue, standard and inverse navel, left and right nipple.

Quote Originally Posted by tacosareyummeh View Post
    The reason I never respond to these kind of things is that there really isn't much to say..disasters occur all the time yanno?
    It's sad but I can't really do much about it where I am.
    I'm inclined to agree however it's always interesting to watch the stories develop and marvel. I find it gives me a much larger appreciation for the fact that I don't live like the majority of the world does.

Oh yeah, I can definitely appreciate when things like that occur and how lucky I am..it's just not something I could understand fully unless it happened to me or people in my life.
    Current
    Ears: Left forward and standard helix, left tragus, left daith. Right rook, right double inner conch. 1g and 14g lobes.
    Face: Right nostril, septum, vertical labret.
    Other: Tongue, standard and inverse navel, left and right nipple.

People who donate it in the collection tins or through the till via the "donation paperwork" (with or without Gift Aid) the entire collection goes to Haiti specifically or whatever the other DEC focus is. (DEC meaning Distaster Emergency Comittee).
    Great -i wonder what the wage bill for the DEC is. Ive been iffy ever since i read an expose a couple of years ago that showed how much of donated cash actually went to the people who needed it. It wasnt a lot
    Tatotos: Bluebell at base of spine, winged heart with stars between shoulder blades

Retired: 3rd lobe,auricle and upper helix, both nipples, reverse navel, snakebites *sob*

There's also the probems with a lot of charities that their admin isn't very effective because people don't tend to work in charities long and don't get paid well and so they waste a lot of money because the organisations in general aren't very efficient. I think Oxfam are okay but you might as well just throw your money out of the window and hope it lands somewhere useful rather than give money to the NSPCC, they're awful.

And as to the Haiti thing. I've given a donation but that's pretty much all I can do. I don't like this whole community grieving thing people do either. So I try to avoid commenting on threads like this where all I can say is "It's really sad, I wish I could do more". It's true but saying it doesn't help.
    Call me Genni...

"Everyone deserves the chance to fly"

Keeper of the magical hunting bees with Trivium and Miharu

*proudly wears her dictionary straight-jacket*

hells monkey tbh...
    you are a big gay boy

*Disclaimer: When I argue unless I quote sources it is all my opinion. My way of writing is because I do creative writing and you can't sound uncertain.*

And as to the Haiti thing. I've given a donation but that's pretty much all I can do. I don't like this whole community grieving thing people do either. So I try to avoid commenting on threads like this where all I can say is "It's really sad, I wish I could do more". It's true but saying it doesn't help.
    Can i add something that i may very well burn in firey flames for saying but its been stuck in my head since this happened - every day we get newspaper reports saying stuff like "Haiti desperate for aid but warning that survivors may turn to violence" etc etc and i cant help thinking that how dare they, people from all over the world are risking their lives to help them and they respond with violence because the aid is taking time (thats not the teams faultm theres just no infrastrcuture). How is that even remotely helpful??
    Why would you threaten the very people tying to help you??

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast