Thread: Tragus

Unhappy Tragus

OK, so I got a tragus piercing on my left ear, and guys, I know you're gonna kill me here, I got it done with a gun >w>
    It's been 3 weeks or so, and lately I've been having trouble with the hearing in my left ear. I got it last week in the mornings, for about an hour or so, then it would go, but the last few days, it's just stayed there. Help?
    Hey, I'm Tríona :3
    Current;
    -Septum
    -L: 3x Lobes
    -R: 3x Lobes
    Want;
    -Conch
    -Medusa/Labret
    -L & R Nipple
    -Scaffold (requiring bravery!)
    Retired;
    -L Tragus
    -L Nostril

Could be an infection that spread to inside the ear? I would see a doctor about that, loss of hearing is pretty serious.
    http://iam.bmezine.com/?kenna

Piercings I Have:

Right ear: 4g eyelet, two high lobe rings,
    forward helix, four helix push-pins, tragus Left ear: 4g eyelet, surface tragus, upper cartilage, daith heart Face: left nostril Body: both nipples, navel, five dermal anchors along clavicle, triangle!!, vch

Piercings I Want:
    Tongue (maybe), hip piercings, probably more to come. I am very possibly addicted.

Piercings Retired:
    Septum, right eyebrow

I was considering that, but my mantra when it was all swollen and painful was "it's worth it"! But I probably will, it's kinda worrying...
    Current;
    -Septum
    Want;
    -Conch
    -Medusa/Labret
    -L & R Nipple
    Retired;
    -L Tragus
    -L Nostril

Seriously, go to a doctor.
    And if it's not infected, I'd take it out. 80% of gunned helixes I've seen never healed, I wouldn't even think about a tragus.

We're not gonna kill you, I'm just curious how did they fit the gun in there? xD

26mm both lobes, 6mm second lobes, 6mm left inner conch, 8mm septum, 2.4mm inner labia, 1.6mm nipples, 1.2mm nostril
    18x18cm mandala scarification on thigh

tumblr

How did you even mangage to sit there with a gun going towards that part of your ear. :O Id be gone!

Have i gone mad? Im afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But i'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.

i'm just thinking (i may be wrong as i'm no doctor) but seen at the tragus is so close to the inner part of the ear when they gunned it maybe the sound of the gun or the shockwave or something might have travelled into your ear causing damage you want to go to the doctor as you don't want to end up with perminant hearing loss
    Piercings I have

left ear: lobes-1sts and 2nds, helix
    right ear: lobes- 1sts and 2nds, 3rds (lower cartilage),
    right nostril
    monroe

R.I.P

navel x2
    snug
    forward helix x2
    helix

I LOVE bioflex IN MY PIERCINGS

In order for an infection to spread from your outer to your middle (or even inner) ear and cause permanent hearing loss, it would have to travel down the auditory meatus (the ear canal) and destroy the tympanic membrane. If this had happened, you wouldn't be able to hear anything at all in that ear and you would be in excruciating pain. As for the noise of the gun causing hearing loss, I think that's pretty unlikely. Permanent hearing loss as a result of noise occurs following extended periods of exposure. Short, sharp noises (even close to the ear) are unlikely to cause permanent hearing loss unless they are extremely loud (like an explosion or a gunshot). Even in these cases, the damage is not usually to the inner ear, but due to rupturing of the tympanic membrane due to the extremely high air pressure associated with the source of the sound (and the sound itself).

I think one of the following is more likely:

1. Your ear canal has swollen through infection or trauma, which is blocking your ear.
    2. Blood or other fluid has run into your ear canal and blocked it.
    3. The hearing loss is unrelated to the piercing and occurred at the same time by coincidence.

Either way, as others have suggested, you need to get it looked at by your GP who can use an otoscope to check inside your ear canal. Any infection can be cleared up with antibiotics, which will reduce the swelling. The presence of foreign bodies or fluids can be flushed out through aural irrigation. Taking the piercing out and hoping for the best is a very bad idea, as ear infections have a tendency to get worse if untreated, and if it spreads then there's a very real danger of middle ear damage.

HTH.
    Last edited by mashers; 12-31-2009 at 03:20 PM.
    Left lobe: Two 2.4mm x 10mm BCRs
    PA: 8mm x 14mm horseshoe
    Lorum: 4mm horseshoe (now retired )
    Guiche: 1.6mm
    Septum: 2.4mm x 10mm horseshoe
    Left nipple: 1.6mm barbell (now retired )
    Right nipple: 4mm horseshoe

Left upper arm: Large black tribal currently being lasered off!
    Right arm: full Nintendo sleeve - done!

Talking

Thank you everyone! ^w^
    Went today, the loss of hearing was completely unrelated tot he piercing, a hard bit of earwax got stuck in my ear, and I got ear syringed for nearly half an hour just to get it out! On drops and antibiotics now, as my eardrum is also inflamed, but I can hear!
    And I get to keep the tragus ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Lyssssa :) View Post
    How did you even mangage to sit there with a gun going towards that part of your ear. :O Id be gone!
    I sat veryyyyy veryyyyy still, lol. I'm really used to the gun, for my other piercings on my ears, but then the bloody thing didn't work properly! Oh the joys x3

Quote Originally Posted by Drynwhyl View Post
    We're not gonna kill you, I'm just curious how did they fit the gun in there? xD
    I actually don't know, there was a lot of moving around on his part xD
    And that part of my ear is pretty small too, so god knows xD
    Last edited by PolkaBunny; 12-31-2009 at 05:26 PM.
    Current;
    -Septum
    Want;
    -Conch
    -Medusa/Labret
    -L & R Nipple
    Retired;
    -L Tragus
    -L Nostril

This should be obvious to you, but don't go back to that piercer.

And I'd really recommend finding a better studio and getting some proper jewellery in the piercing (if not just getting it repierced entirely). Gun studs are a crap design and usually pretty low quality. A titanium barbell or labret would be much better.

Quote Originally Posted by insideout View Post
    This should be obvious to you, but don't go back to that piercer.

And I'd really recommend finding a better studio and getting some proper jewellery in the piercing (if not just getting it repierced entirely). Gun studs are a crap design and usually pretty low quality. A titanium barbell or labret would be much better.
    I won't, there's another piercing studio in the same town, they use needles, so I'll go there. And I agree about the jewellery part, next time I'm out I'll be sure to :3
    Current;
    -Septum
    Want;
    -Conch
    -Medusa/Labret
    -L & R Nipple
    Retired;
    -L Tragus