Thread: The Awful Piercing thread

Quote Originally Posted by Coraz0ndeOro View Post
    Wow, that's awful. I mean, I know doctors usually recommend sea salt soaks but saying it increases the risk for infection? That's just a bit ridiculous. How could two things that are already in the body cause an infection? Maybe they're thinking of people using dirty cups/bowls and contaminated salt but still...
    Only thing I can think of is if people over do the salt soaks, use too much salt and/or don't rinse their piercings off afterwards, their piercings get irritated. After all, people often mistake irritation for infection.
    Have: 2g lobes (11/11/12); L 16g conch (07/27/12); 14g VCH (09/01/12) | Next: stretch ALL the things! (lobes: 1g; VCH: 12g)
    Also Want: 8g septum, outer labia, nipples; too many tattoo ideas for my own good; goal size for lobes = 1/2" - 5/8"
    Is it weird that I love piercing crusties...?

I think it's the keloid thing that annoys me the most, I would have thought as a medical professional you'd know what a keloid is even if it's not in piercing terms. They seem to call hypertrophic scarring abscesses.
    And please correct me if I'm wrong (only cause I had an amazing experience with my tongue healing), I thought there was a lot more bacteria in the mouth that encourages fast healing, rather than "Tongue piercings carry a higher risk of bacterial infection because of the high number of bacteria already present inside the mouth.".

I wish on the site it would encourage people to go to professional reputable piercers to seek advice or this forum
    Hey, I'm Jo (:

Current piercings: Right & left ear: 8mm, 1.2mm orbitals .Tragus(right only). Centre vertical tongue. Right Nostril x2. horizontal 1.6mm Nipples. septum.

Current Tattoos: Custom Cat/cherry blossom thigh piece.

Previous: Navel, tongue frenulum, helix + snakebites.

Future: More tats.

Wow, it's scary how ignorant doctors can be. Well, I discovered that after dealing with a mysterious illness for a very long time and having doctors tell me it's anxiety but I digress, haha. Stuff like this just confirms how I feel about the majority of doctors. They think they know everything and won't hear any other opinions.
    I'm Lindsay.
    Piercings:
    Ears: Right conch, left conch, left double helix, 1/2" lobes.
    Other: Both nostrils, septum, VCH, navel
    RIP: Left eyebrow, right double tragus
    7 tattoos!

The thing about oral piercings is kind of true. But only "kind of" because the science behind the warning is true but infections are easily avoidable and only really a concern with improperly cared for piercings. It's true that we have lysozymes in our saliva but they're not powerful enough to destroy most bacteria. Generally, we don't need it to because our stomach acid takes care of many invaders entering via the mouth. You naturally have bacteria in your mouth (including certain strains of strep, which loves blood and would adore the opportunity to nom on your heart valves) but because you don't normally have open wounds in your mouth, it's not a problem. Open oral wounds can be, though, that's why many dentists will give an antibiotic either before or after an invasive dental procedure. However, it's also an area of the body that heals very quickly so with proper hygiene, piercings are no problem. There's a higher risk of infection, but it's easily avoided with proper piercing care.

But as someone who works in healthcare, I agree that some doctors are quite short-sighted.
    Last edited by Voltra; 11-15-2012 at 04:45 AM.

Agree with you 100% I was diagnosed with an IBD 3 months ago, my symptoms started in January, I kept visiting my GP but they said come back in 2 weeks if it still persists, then one day I go to an appointment about 4 weeks after my last one cause I was getting nowhere and it's hard to get an appointment and they yelled at me for not coming sooner. So stupid!

But keeping on the topic of piercings...I love the UK healthcare system, but...BAD NHS. BAD NHS.

EDIT
    It also says on the site: If your body has been professionally pierced following the correct procedures, no specific aftercare is necessary.Some people stick with the LITHO method, but that's what works for them and they know what to do if something goes wrong. Not everyone is the same though.
    Last edited by Josebean; 11-15-2012 at 04:39 AM.
    Hey, I'm Jo (:

Current piercings: Right & left ear: 8mm, 1.2mm orbitals .Tragus(right only). Centre vertical tongue. Right Nostril x2. horizontal 1.6mm Nipples. septum.

I guess that's better than saying to clean it with alcohol/peroxide and twist the jewelry like a lot of doctors would, but yeah they should definitely have better info about what to do if you do happen to get an infection (like not to take the piercing out).
    I'm Lindsay.
    Piercings:
    Ears: Right conch, left conch, left double helix, 1/2" lobes.
    Other: Both nostrils, septum, VCH, navel
    RIP: Left eyebrow, right double tragus
    7 tattoos!

I think the problem is that doctors and nurses are trained to think about healing - it slightly goes against the grain to think about getting the body to heal _around_ an object (except for surgeons, I suspect, who are probably more used to the idea of implants etc).

I'm not sure medical staff are really in a place to complain about piercings: in about 8 days in HDU, I *never* saw a doctor or nurse actually wash their hands for the full 20s - the best was a young junior doctor who managed about 15 seconds once (I was bored silly, so I took to timing them as the washing station was next to my bed ). Not to mention the phlebotomists who don't wear gloves, but just use alcohol wipes and hand washing.

I forgot about that NHS page, I've emailed them a few times about that and requested better resources and information but doesn't look like anything's changed
    Saz
    Piercings:

2 sets of lobes at 1.2 and 1 set of 2.4mm on both ears

right ear: + 1 Helix at 1.2mm, Conch

left ear: + 2x Helix and Daith

nose

Planned: Some more ear stuff and hopefully a microdermal or two once I know where I want to put them!

Spikey is my BJS Wife

Don't be dumb, avoid the gun!

How hygienic a place must be, to be trustworthy is so taboo sometimes. At a piercing studio you expect the gloves etc. But at the doctor's surgery or at the hospital they hardly wear gloves, even when they were testing Hepatitis on me (turns out I was just anaemic, what an over-dramatic doctor), there were no gloves taking my blood. Sometimes the dentist doesn't even wear gloves...and that makes me feel ill, I just feel it would be too rude to tell them how to do their job :p. I just ended up doing a passive aggressive comment on the NHS page :P

Oh and I'm sure professional piercers who know their stuff would happily help the NHS out just to give out correct information :P It's just scary that some piercers know more about healing the tissue than medical professionals.
    Last edited by Josebean; 11-15-2012 at 03:46 PM.
    Hey, I'm Jo (:

Sometimes wearing gloves is not a sign of good hygiene anyway. How many sandwich shops will make your sandwich with gloves on (oh how hygienic, you think) then will handle money with the same gloves on before proceeding to make the next sandwich? *barf*

And there's the dodgy dental practice near here who only now have a clue about hygiene because they were inspected and shut down until they cleaned up their act (ahaha ). It was common to see the assistant come out of the room with gloves on, go into another room to get a file or something, then go back into the room presumably to carry on helping treat a patient - without changing those gloves!
    I was too stunned to run away when it was my turn, and then the dentist had a great big hole in his glove that I couldn't tell him about cos my mouth was full.

*shudders*
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue