Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tongue Piercing Questions

Default Tongue Piercing Questions

I had my tongue pierced two days ago, and in my shock/aftershock I forgot to ask my piercer a few basic questions. She fully went through the aftercare, but I was wondering if it's normal for your tongue not to swell as much as thought and be able to talk properly? I've still been eating soft foods and cleaning it plenty just to be on the safe side and plan to continue this for a while but I wasn't sure.

I'm sorry, my questions sound pretty stupid.
    ~Kirkland~

Current Mods:
    Septum, tongue, off-centre labret (x2), stretched lobes (x2)
    Tattoos (x4)

Retired Mods:
    Eyebrow, navel, lobes (x2)

Haha, definitely don't worry about it not swelling enough It's fine. Some people swell lots, some don't. It's only been 2 days anyway, you might find it still swells up before the week is over.

Mine didn't swell very much either. I was eating normal food within two days.
    Tattoos
    3 stars top of left leg
    star on back of neck
    rainbow on my back
    wee stick man on left leg
    full right leg sleeve
    1up mushroon on left leg
    deathly hallows on left leg
    mrs potts left foot (major ouch!)

Piercings
    1.2mm lobe x2
    10mm lobe
    8mm lobe!
    Industrial
    Tragus
    Belly button
    Tongue

Professional Piercer Just_vix81's Avatar

usually its from about day 3 that can be the worse with the swelling so just try to rest your tongue as much as you can and if there is any swelling if you are ok to take nurofen then that will help with swelling
    Piercings
    Left ear:12 including scaffold,tragus,conch x 3 & 14mm lobes
    Right ear:12 including rook,conch x 3 & 14mm lobes
    Eyebrow
    Right nostril: x 3
    Left nostril: x 3
    Vch
    Piercer and Tattooist

Mine swelled a lot! To the full length of the bar by day 3. I remember one day, probably about day 3, all I ate was ice cream and even that hurt me. I remember crying to my bloke "I JUST WANT TO EATTTTTTTTT!" haha! By about day 5 or 6 I could eat regular stuff, although the long bar was really annoying. After a week I really wanted to change the bar, went to see my piercer and she said to wait a bit longer as there was still swelling. I downsized mine on day 10 and could eat fine after that. Those first 2 weeks are pretty pants but after that they are such an easy piercing to deal with. Stick with it kid
    IAM: hetty
    I has Facebook

I have:
    16mm lobes x2 / 1.6mm lobes x4 / 1.6mm scaffold / 1.2mm helix / 1.6mm conch x3 / 1.2mm snakebites / 2mm tongue / 1.6mm horizontal nipples x2 / 1.6mm VCH
    Omega symbol on my nape! 15-07-09 (20 mins)
    Dotwork ohm symbol on my leg! 08/08/10 (3 hrs)
    Pheonix backpiece! 20/08/10 (4 & 1/2 hrs) 18/09/10 (6 hrs) 30/10/10 (5 hrs) 04/12/10 (4 hrs)
    10/01/11 (4 hrs) 12/02/11 (6 & 1/2 hrs) 18/03/11 (2 & 1/2 hrs)
    Little duck on foot! 02/03/11 (5 mins)

I GOT MODBLOGGED!!!

as everyone else said, just depends on the person. mine was huge from day one for two weeks, my sisters didnt swell at all. just be glad!
    Have:
    8mm lobe, 1.6mm lobe, 2 x side lip, tongue, 2 wrist microdermals.

Retired:
    More lobes, helix, double tragus, anti tragus, conch, nipple, wrist surface, anti eyebrow microdermal, tongue web, vertical labret.

Tattoos:
    Just Atreyu lyrics on my side for now.

Want:

More tattoos, too uncreative to know what! Anti eyebrow microdermal, VCH, 10mm lobes, lots more ear piercings.

Thank you loads guys! I'm on to day three, still not swollen and feeling very lucky about it all really. I was just worried I was doing something wrong since most people I talked to were all "It swells really badly! You can't talk for a fortnight!" and so on and so forth.

I was worried I'd be told I was being stupid for asking them too. Haha, thanks for the awesome help again <3
    ~Kirkland~

Current Mods:
    Septum, tongue, off-centre labret (x2), stretched lobes (x2)
    Tattoos (x4)

Retired Mods:
    Eyebrow, navel, lobes (x2)

I wouldn't say you can't talk for a fortnight. Then again, maybe some people couldn't. I know with mine I couldn't eat as I hadn't eaten properly for the 2 weeks & partly cos I was scared to knock eat.
    I got a bit cocky aswell cos mine hadn't swollen at first then it went up like a bloody balloon after about 2 days! Kept my mouth shut that did lol!

You are def lucky though if it goes that easily for you. Congrats !!!
    Have:2 pairs lobe, tragus, forward helix tongue, navel, Tribal heart pattern on lower back, Star just above ankle, Fairy on waist , Capricorn symbol on wrist, 'J' behind ear, Heart below hip, Coloured stars from back of neck across right shoulder, Pattern on hand by thumb, Initials on out side of right wrist, Pattern on foot, 3 Flowers on left arm
    Retired:
    Tragus md, 2x wrist skindivers

Does the ibuprofen make a big difference? How about applying ice immediately after piercing - does this make a huge difference? I know it does with sport injuries, muscle pulls etc.

Quote Originally Posted by preppyguy View Post
    Does the ibuprofen make a big difference? How about applying ice immediately after piercing - does this make a huge difference? I know it does with sport injuries, muscle pulls etc.
    ibuprofen makes the blood thinner, and it reduces the chanse of getting infections too. Having thinner blood makes swelling go down, and ibuprofen also helps if you feel any pain! I would reckomend taking ibuprofen, they sell bigger doses in the drugstore. The half-life of ibuprofen is two hours, and you get the max effect of ibuprofen from about half an hour to almost the lenght of the half-life. I took 400mg doses that i bought that had a soft shell, and waited 4hours between each dose. Drinking cold water, or ice, or popciles helps. Dairy products makes the blood thicker though, as well as do fatty food, especially red meat, egg-yolk, butter, etc. But for god sake, just eat ice-cream as well as popciles, they do more good than harm, but if you like popciles better, or even ice.

Remember not to make your blood to thin, and do not overdo ibuprofen if you have generally thin blood.

Mine svole up to the full lenght of the barbell the first hour, but i ate solid food anyway (I love chicken!! ) And its was halloween this weekend for god sake, i needed candy My swelling is going down now, but with ibuprofen i can speak with just a little lisp.

Sorry for any bad english, its not my native language

EDIT:
    I had mine done thursday, its still swollen, but no problem, its probably cause i speak to much lol, Yea use your tongue as little as possible, drink soup through a straw, you need food to heal faster.
    Last edited by Siggen; 11-02-2009 at 02:23 PM.
    Septum, spiderbite(2x lip), eyebrow, 4x helix, tongue, 2x nipple.
    Long dark hair, and blue eyes, and a red beard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast