Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 'Plus Size' Cat Walk

Senior Member .Only.Streetlights.'s Avatar

Default 'Plus Size' Cat Walk

A friend of mine showed me this link last night:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8268108.stm

of Mark Fast's show at London Fashion Week because he chose to use models ranging from size 12 - 14.

A lot of people will say it's amazing and a step in the right direction, but I can't help but think that if they feel a 12-14 is a massive step then it's no more than a token gesture.

Naomi Campbell's reponse also made me snap a little. When asked if she applauds it she gives a cheap smirk and "I'm not against it". Convincing.
    Last edited by .Only.Streetlights.; 09-23-2009 at 08:39 AM.
    Queen C aka Cazaclysmic

I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. -Stephen Roberts

It's ridiculous that 12-14 is considered 'plus size'. Ergh. From the few seconds you go of the actual models, they look great and the clothes look better on them than most catwalk models I've seen. I had a quick look for pictures and couldn't find much more than these unfortunately.

PS. Please put an end to the annoying kennyjewels spammer :(

Senior Member .Only.Streetlights.'s Avatar

Never fear - I've sorted him lol

The models look GORGEOUS. I personally consider them slim and attractive, far more so than the anorexic stick insects that get wheeled down cat walks every day.

I just know that if any of my friends who are size 12 - 14 got called "plus sized" they'd be very much confused and nonplussed. Is it really acceptable for us to be projecting the idea that a girl of this size is somehow big? I can't help but think it's more negative than not showing more well fed models at all.

EDIT: Also, where are the 'plus sized' male models? If I see one more 13 year old boy marching down in what looks like Daddy's suit I'll scream! haha
    Last edited by .Only.Streetlights.; 09-23-2009 at 08:57 AM.
    Queen C aka Cazaclysmic

I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. -Stephen Roberts

A vast improvement over the usual, it's funny because IMO they look a lot more attractive than usual and generally pull off the clothes. As has been said, 12 - 14 really isn't a plus size.
    Shaun

Scalpelled - Stretched - Pierced - Inked

hmmmm i like plus size women in general never liked skinny girls...

beyonce>paris hilton

12-14 isnt plus size. the average size of a woman in the uk is 16. so how can 12-14 be plus sized??
    *Danni*
    Current
    left lobe, 6mm + 2 at 1.6, rook, 2 x helix, conch
    right lobe, 6mm + 2 at 1.6, rook, tragus
    septum, 4mm
    eyebrow, nose, tongue (3.2mm), both nipples, navel, vch,
    cherry blossom leg branding
    Retired
    surface navel, sternum skin diver, 3x wrist MDs

Honestly, I thought this thread was going to be a video of a fat cat on a treadmill.

Anyway, I think it's funny that all the tiny models and that one from Girls Aloud are like "it's great!" yet are stick thin themselves. And the girl who was all "women aren't all size zero" well duh. Oh, and the one who's like "I have loads of friends who are size 16" makes me think of people going "I've got loads of gay/black friends" to back up an argument.
    Stef

Mods:

Left ear: Lobe, 2x 1.6mm inner conches, 1.2mm rook, 1.6mm helix (newest).
    Right ear: Lobe, 1.6mm tragus (stretched), 1.2mm daith.
    Other: 2.5mm centre labret (stretched), 8mm septum (stretched), 1.6mm nape.
    Retired: 4x 1.6mm lobe, 1.6mm snakebites, 2.4mm venoms, 1.6mm anti-tragus, 10mm and 12mm lobes.

Gallery

You can be 'stick thin' and think its great . I do.
    Catwalk has been size zero for a long time and warped minds, so to now start introducing size 12-14 on the catwalk (even though it isnt really plus sized) it is still a step in the right direction. Maybe in a few years there will be using proper plus sized models too.

Have i gone mad? Im afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But i'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.

GerryLeanne

They put non sized zero models on the cat walk to shut us up in a way for complaining about all of the stick thin models. But by calling size 12-24 "plus sized" they've just made the whole thing even worse. I think we can all see that they didn't do it because they wanted to, they thought that if they were the first to please us, we'd buy their stuff But boy have they just made the whole thing worse

they were gorgeous!! if i had to choose between being super super skinny or being "plus size" id honestly pick plus size bc you actually look like a woman and have boobs and a butt...muchh better than looking like a breeze will blow you over imo
    have:
    right ear:2x lobes, antitragus
    left ear: 2x lobes, rook, tragus, conch
    other: nose,tongue,tattoo on left hip

want: multi navel, daith, another tattoo

gone:navel // 3 traguses // conch // forward helix

<3Brittany<3

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast