Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Price of Ignorance.

Religion gives people something to believe in. 99% of the time it's perfectly fine.
    It's just when things like this happen, or wars over a persons chosen book that it all gets a bit silly.
    Yeh the bloke was wrong, but he thought putting his faith in a higher being would help his child. Stuff like this happens unfortunately. We can't get up on our high horses and says it's wrong, of course it is, but in the circumstances he did what ever father would have done, he wanted make his child better. i'm certain he never wanted her to die.

Everyone has the right to believe what they want, and if they choose to put their faith into a book what does it matter really? It's hardly a Jip.
    James.

Stretched: 28mm Lobes. 8mm Labret. 9mm Septum. 3.2mm Nostrils. 4mm Navel. 6mm Helix.
    Pierced: Lower Navel. Nipple.
    Implanted: Throat. Navel. Anti-eyebrow
    Ink'd: Half Sleeve. Lip.

"Misery f*cking loves me, and i love her too."
    IAM: JamesX.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesx. View Post
    We can't get up on our high horses and says it's wrong, of course it is, but in the circumstances he did what ever father would have done, he wanted make his child better. i'm certain he never wanted her to die.
    The thing is with this, just because its his belief, does that make it any more excusable?

If I believed that the only way to save someones life was to pour arsenic into their stomach, because I didn't "believe" arsenic was toxic to humans, would this mean that it can be justified in any way?

Theres two massive issues I have with this: -

1) The ignorance of the father here, that he could only think one way, and not as mentioned, think that in the event there was a god, that doctors do gods work in a smaller sense, hence why they have the skills because they were blessed with it?

Sure, its gods gift when someone writes religious music for giving them the skill, but it can't be gods gift when a doctor is good at saving lives? Hypocrisy is all that is.

2) How many people could try and pass off legitimate crimes with the "this is what I believe" defence? It is quite possible that in this case (probably not, but possibly), there was more to it than the story lets on, and they used their religion to cover the true reason why they let the child die.

Not that I'm saying this IS the reason, but theres nothing to stop anyone using it as a defence in future, regardless of whether they even believe or not.

As far as I'm concerned, religion and its doctrines have brought more problems to this world than politicians could conjure up on their own.
    Stuuuuu

Progressively walking through life. In 13/16 following by 6/8.

Weird pierced hairy metal head from Sheffield who likes to make lots of noise.

Piercings
    Tongue, Labret, PA

Want
    Nipples, tattoos (need help with working out what to get)

Facebook

http://www.workingfrommyshed.co.uk - My gaming blog

http://wfms.hostingdelivered.com/viewforum.php?f=3 - Console LAN

Forging the quest to bring long hair to the world

Quote Originally Posted by sambalina View Post
    Jehovas witnesses dont do blood transfusions! so if the parents of a Jehova's kid ignore the life saving option, and the child dies as a result, is this manslaughter too?
    its a question of Ethics, k the guy did something that many other people wouldnt do, but like its been said already he did what he thought was best in that situation.
    x
    Thats a good Question. The guy is now paying for his decission, which sucks for him and his family. but he thought it was best at the time. Obviously wasnt but its too late to change his mind now. Bye the way why dont Jehovas witnesses allow blood transfusions? For them God made man then women from man right? so blood from one human to another would be ok if all are equal in gods eys right? But i dont want to start a religious debate. Just Curious I have issues with the Homosexuality and gay marrige with ties to religion as well. ill explain in more detail if you want me to just contact me through my profile. Either way Crap happens wether You believe you did the right thing or not. in This case it ended badly, sad for everyone involved, but its done. Ethics are like Statistics Both can be bent for or against the situation in question, magical things they both are.
    -Keej(origin = party story) or KJ

Tattoos: still working on it (money set aside, looking for a good parlor with good artist)

Piercings: each ear lobe (more coming soon)

No Retired

Projects: 13 tattoos and 6 piercings at least for now

The thing that 90% of Christians DO understand is that the Bible was written over 2000 years ago. Times will have changed and you can't take everything it says literally anymore.

PLus hopefully this case will set examples to other Christians who may have had the same beliefs..

Quote Originally Posted by bigredfish View Post
    IMO the bible says a lot of things that are clearly unacceptable in today's society. Gay rights anyone? Maybe it's time to stop 'feeling' for people who follow these beliefs without question.
    This.

There are so many other storys of people who have prayed for their child to get better and it didn't work, a bit of common sence wouldn't have gone a miss there...

I'll never understand how someone can believe such things without a shred of evidence.
    Current piercings: Lobes 18mm
    Retired: Septum, Eyebrow,
    Orbital, Central labret
    Wish list: High Snug, Septum punch (6mm), Conch Punch (8mm)

I'm Nathan

Last fm/Tumblr

can you imagine the court case that will come from this? court vs religion never comes out good.

personally i will do anything any everything i can to make my child better. he has had every injection hes needed to have, and still has test after test on his condition. if the time comes where he needs something more serious then he'll have that too. i put complete trust in doctors, in my eyes doctors are god.
    this man should have to pay for his actions, they caused a death which could otherwise have been prevented.
    *Danni*
    Current
    left lobe, 6mm + 2 at 1.6, rook, 2 x helix, conch
    right lobe, 6mm + 2 at 1.6, rook, tragus
    septum, 4mm
    eyebrow, nose, tongue (3.2mm), both nipples, navel, vch,
    cherry blossom leg branding
    Retired
    surface navel, sternum skin diver, 3x wrist MDs

I don't believe that all religion is completely stupid, just when people take it to the extremes like this... religious teachings are just guidelines not definite laws that still apply after thousands of years...

Basically i don't have a problem with people believing in a religion as long as they also use common sense.
    Hi, I'm Al
    FUNNIEST MEMBER 2008
    10mm Septum |19mm(3/4") Lobe|1.6mmtongue
    <3 Louise

Quote Originally Posted by aussie_danni View Post
    can you imagine the court case that will come from this? court vs religion never comes out good.

personally i will do anything any everything i can to make my child better. he has had every injection hes needed to have, and still has test after test on his condition. if the time comes where he needs something more serious then he'll have that too. i put complete trust in doctors, in my eyes doctors are god.
    this man should have to pay for his actions, they caused a death which could otherwise have been prevented.
    Was Harold Shipman God? Doctors F**k up too!
    x

Quote Originally Posted by sambalina View Post
    Was Harold Shipman God? Doctors F**k up too!
    x

No, harold shipman didnt f*ck up, he was a f*ck up. It wasnt bad doctoring that put this man into prison, it was his greed. he didnt mis-diagnose ppl, he just od'd them on morphine and forged their signature or altered wills.

Theres been loads of cases where they say 'god told me to do it' or 'i heard a voice, it told me to kill' Peter sutcliffe is a good example, aparently god told him to rid the world of dirty women....... it didnt work for him, so why should it work for this man?
    its useing the bible to justify ur own stupidity/lusts imo, the man should be sent down... he knew his daughter was ill... if he knew it as diabeties, espesh insulin controled then he should be done for murder.
    ~Hi im Dawn~

what iv got

Double nostril, Tongue web, Tongue, Vch 2mm, Helix, Lobes 3.4mm, 2x 1.6mm double left lower lip. Ink x4

what i want
    Cheeks, Double right lower lip, Conch, Navel. More ink

R.I.P septum + nipples

Nick

Nobody is denying that this guy did the wrong thing, in today's society this level of ignorance and neglect basically does not go unpunished. he was stupid to believe that prayer is gonna get hos daughter better, we know that, its obvious to us, but it wasnt to him.
    i actually agree with Stu tho tbh, there has to be more to this story than what we are reading in that one article. surely no-one in this day and age is so blinded by religion that they would let their child die, maybe there is some underlying issues here.
    x

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast