Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Infected Lobe Piercing.

Default Infected Lobe Piercing.

My friend thinks her lobe piercing may be infected, because she has been swimming a lot in Spain on holiday and the pool apparently wasn't very clean. She says it hurts when she touches it, and feels hot to the touch, but isn't lymphing or pussing much. It bled the other day too, and is red and swollen, so it sounds like it may be an infection.

I've advised her to do sss for a couple of days and see how it goes, but just thought I'd see what you guys think? Many thanks
    I'm Rara (:

Currently: RightEar - 2 Lobes, LeftEar - 1 Helix, 1 Lobe. Navel Piercing (:
    Planning On: RightEar - Rook, 2nd Helix, LeftEar - Tragus, 3rd Lobe.
    Possibly: Lower Right Labret, Left Nostril, Septum.

Professional Piercer Just_vix81's Avatar

how long has she had it pierced for?
    Piercings
    Left ear:12 including scaffold,tragus,conch x 3 & 14mm lobes
    Right ear:12 including rook,conch x 3 & 14mm lobes
    Eyebrow
    Right nostril: x 3
    Left nostril: x 3
    Vch
    Piercer and Tattooist

best bet is to get down to the doctors and ask for some antibiotics. and under no circumstances remove the jewellery as she could trap the infection under the skin and cause an abcess
    Saz
    Piercings:

2 sets of lobes at 1.2 and 1 set of 2.4mm on both ears

right ear: + 1 Helix at 1.2mm, Conch

left ear: + 2x Helix and Daith

nose

Planned: Some more ear stuff and hopefully a microdermal or two once I know where I want to put them!

Spikey is my BJS Wife

Don't be dumb, avoid the gun!

Is the pain also throbbing like a toothache and constant / almost unbearable? If so then yes it sounds like an infection - which you can try treating at home before going to the doctors.

Start off by doing a sea salt soak as this will help to drain away nasties and lessen the swelling, then apply an antiseptic. Natural ones like tea tree oil or lavender oil are best as they are less harsh on the piercing but if she feels safer trusting in a chemical version then do so. Pat dry with something clean and disposable (like a paper towel). Do this twice a day.

If within 3 days it has not gotten better or if it gets any worse then she'll need to see a doctor. It is really important not to take the jewellery out as she'll risk trapping the infection under the skin and giving it no where to drain.

If the infection responds to the home treatment then only use the oil for about 7 days as its quite strong and not the best thing to use regularly on a piercing. The sea salt soaks are how she should be cleaning anyway so she can continue them for as long as she needs to.
    Body Piercer and Creator of Body Poetry
    A Body Piercing advice site complete with fully detailed aftercare guides.

She's had them pierced about a year.
    Thank you for all your help guys, don't worry, I told her not to take the jewellery out.
    I'm Rara (:

Currently: RightEar - 2 Lobes, LeftEar - 1 Helix, 1 Lobe. Navel Piercing (:
    Planning On: RightEar - Rook, 2nd Helix, LeftEar - Tragus, 3rd Lobe.
    Possibly: Lower Right Labret, Left Nostril, Septum.

Sorry for hijacking a thread, but I can't create my own yet!

I have 3 piercings. Eyebrow, helix and lobe.

I had my eyebrow done first and that's healed ok. I then got my helix and lobe done pretty close to eachother (3-4 weeks ago).

The helix is fine and coming along nicely. I thought the lobe was healed after 2 weeks because it was completely painless even to sleep on. Although I didn't change the jewellery (black barbell) it swelled up a few days ago and some puss came out. Although it doesn't hurt, it's more noticable if I touch it, almost like the pain from after it was done.

Anyway, I popped into the NHS walk in centre who gave me antibiotics. They told me to take it out as well. Now I'm not saying that I or the internet know better than trained professionals, but everywhere I've read says that you should keep in the jewellery in to stop the holes closing over the infection.

I think it's getting better by the way as it doesn't seem quite as swollen as yesterday.

Keep it in, taking it out will only trap the infection.
    Current piercings: Lobes 18mm
    Retired: Septum, Eyebrow,
    Orbital, Central labret
    Wish list: High Snug, Septum punch (6mm), Conch Punch (8mm)

I'm Nathan

Last fm/Tumblr

Somethings on the internet you can believe and the trapping infection inside the piercing is one of them.

Also what colour is the pus? Is it light yellow or white? If so then its normal lymph and you don't have a problem at all (probably just it getting pissy at you for not cleaning it I guess?).

Best way to treat a lobe piercing for lymph, general cleaning and to help drain infections is to use the sea salt soak cleaning method a guide to which can be found here: http://www.ku-ku.co.uk/Lobe.htm

I'm pretty sure it was an infection because it was kinda like a mixture of blood and yellow/brown. Also, the nurse gave me antibiotics so she must have been convinced it was an infection as well.

I've seen the white stuff you get from when my eyebrow was healing and it was different from that.

I'm going to ignore the advise of the nurse and keep it in then!

Yes I would keep it in but remember I'm not a medical professional so if you are really worried then follow the nurse's advice.

I would take the antibiotics but also treat the piercing too by soaking twice a day in sea salt soaks and using an antiseptic like tea tree oil or savlon spray afterwards before drying on something clean and disposable. Keep up with the antiseptic till your antibiotics run out and then just continue with the sea salt soaks alone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast