Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: The Dreadlock Thread

Yesterday my flatmate asked me if I'd had my hair like this all my life then said (I quote) "Cause they're not proper dreads are they?" boy was he wrong, I showed him! (literally... XD)

And today I saw a man with what I can only describe as a dread mullet. It was actually business at the front, party at the back XD
    25mm Lobe x2, 10mm Helix, 8mm Septum, 8mm Conch, 4mm Conch
    4mm Tragus, 3.2mm Tragus, 2.4mm Scaffold, 2.4mm Lip x5, 2.4mm Vertical Nipple, 2mm Cheeks
    1.6mm Nostrils, Helix, Daith, Bridge, Navel, Rook, Snug

Magnificent Moderator Kaitey (:'s Avatar

Copying this from the hair thread, feel free to edit or add your own tips/comments on

Pam, I had mines done at a salon, but whether you decide to or not, these are the tips/info I'd advise you to follow

- if you have fine hair (like you said you do) it will take you years to get mature dreads via the backcombing or natural methods, I've tried backcombed dreads before and they were falling out / loosening up like mad in the first few weeks and I ended up getting frustrated and brushing them out, so I decided to have mines done with a crochet hook. I've tried to get the hang of crocheting my own dreads to no avail, but there a tonnes of videos on youtube to help you out.
    - if you choose to crochet your dreads they'll have a much neater appearance (a lot of people I know who's dreads were started with other methods use hooks to tidy 'em up), and they'll also hold up better to more frequent shampooing in the early days as they tend to be tighter (although you'll still want to avoid getting them wet / washing them for the first fortnight)
    - stop using conditioner now, just use shampoo, and try to use a natural 'cone free one (conditioners and silicones make your hair nice and slipy, which isn't what you want)
    - be prepared for your scalp to it for the first couple of weeks!
    - remember your scalp isn't used to being exposed to sunlight so protect it!
    - don't listen to people who say you'll need to cut them out, this is generally only the case for people who have a lot of wax in their dreads or sometimes people who have very long dreads and can't be bothered to comb them all out will often cut them up to about shoulder length.

Really the best thing to do is to decide if you're going pro (start saving) or diy (start practising) and then watch a load of videos and read a bunch of articles, almost every article you read will contradict each other to a certain degree but it's my opinion that all 3 methods I mentioned are viable options depending on your hair type/condition etc. It's also good to note wax should never be used as it can trap all sorts of nasties in dreads and is a bitch to get out (it's like the piercing gun of the dread world haha!). You'll want to find a good 'cone free, residue free shampoo for when they're in too, I recommend lush and knotty boy products (the knotty boy tea tree and mint shampoo is ace for the first few washes as it'll really soothe your scalp and help any itchiness!)
    If there's anything else you want to know just ask (I'm sure I've missed a load of stuff out!)
    I'm Katie, one of the mods on here.
    Please read the forum rules!

Awesome dreds but I was totally sent into a daze by your avatar :P

Trying to get natural dreadlocks again... Last time I combed out all the progress I had since my scalp was unbearably itchy. It started again this time, luckily trying different shampoos fixed it (I hope) So yay, I hope this time I'll dread nicely, I already have a few baby ones forming

26mm both lobes, 6mm second lobes, 6mm left inner conch, 8mm septum, 2.4mm inner labia, 1.6mm nipples, 1.2mm nostril
    18x18cm mandala scarification on thigh

tumblr

http://www.etsy.com/listing/155472296

http://www.etsy.com/listing/113804447

Are you kidding these are so adorable omg
    I can't wait for my dreads to form properly, it's like a bunch of new places to get cute jewelry for, next to my lobes of course.

26mm both lobes, 6mm second lobes, 6mm left inner conch, 8mm septum, 2.4mm inner labia, 1.6mm nipples, 1.2mm nostril

tumblr

awwww those are cute. I used to have so much fun stuff hiding in my hair, but currently i have nothing. must fix that...
    Piercings: 9/16" & 6g lobes | 8g septum | some others
    Other: 1 cutting | some tattoos

Here are some pics of my dreads at ~4 months

tumblr

Magnificent Moderator Kaitey (:'s Avatar

Gurrrrrl you so fine
    I'm Katie, one of the mods on here.
    Please read the forum rules!

Ooo i love the mixture of dreads and normal hair left at the hairline. Looks great!!!
    "Fortuna Favet Fortibus"
    Grace
    L: Conch|Rook|Lobes x2|Helix Orbital|Helix

​R: Industrial|Lobes x2|Tragus|Conch Orbital

Central Labret​|Right Nipple|HCH x2

2 tattoos & 1 subdermal implant.

Next: 3rd HCH.

Quote Originally Posted by Drynwhyl View Post
    Here are some pics of my dreads at ~4 months
    Stunning!!
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<