Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Presidential Inauguration

Scarred_pierced

Ah but that was before the whole two term only law. But thats exactly what i mean, he can do some things, start trying to make a difference but 4 years is not long enough, and another president may not continue with such plans. Plus americans are expecting too much, he could start fixing one problem, but a completely different one becomes a hot topic and he's left looking like an idiot for not sorting that one out quicker...who knows tbh, he might just do fine lol.

Oh yeah sure, but he could still get 8 years, which probably would be enough to sort out the economy, as it's nowhere near Great Depression proportions yet.
    I think it all hinges on the economy, he could do naff all but heal, or begin to heal, the economic crisis and I'm sure he'd get another term.

Scarred_pierced

I suppose, but thats without any other major problems coming up, we all know how america goes from one problem to the next, but then again...that was all Bush's fault...
    But see isn't that a pity, if it was any other time, Barrack could have some really good strategies of improving america anyway, but he has to clear up Bush's mess first, I've always said this, when it came to the election before Bush's second term and the elections coming up...i think i even wrote it in my Politics exams lol.

Well, I suppose we can hope it won't be like that under Obama .
    Oh yeah, it definitely is a shame, but looking on the bright side at least he's going to sort out Bush's mess, I mean the alternative was John McCain for crying out loud, that would have been a really great follow up to Bush xD.
    And also Obama will hopefully have the effect of restoring support in the Democrat party and the political system of America as a whole, then we can avoid another Bush for a good few terms hopefully!

Scarred_pierced

True, i do think its better to have the democrats in power, especially during this recession! Your right, it is definately a better option than McCain! At least he's really optimistic and it is really like a breath of fresh air for america, not only having a Democratic President, but having a african american after all the history that country has over race, as its been said before. Lets wait and see eh lol

Quote Originally Posted by Scarred_pierced View Post
    Ah but that was before the whole two term only law. But thats exactly what i mean, he can do some things, start trying to make a difference but 4 years is not long enough, and another president may not continue with such plans. Plus americans are expecting too much, he could start fixing one problem, but a completely different one becomes a hot topic and he's left looking like an idiot for not sorting that one out quicker...who knows tbh, he might just do fine lol.
    The thing is though some of the big ones, like pulling troops out of Iraq (which he's already started) and closing down guantanamo bay can be achieved in four years, and can have long lasting effects. Once Guantanamo is closed down it'd be next to impossible to reopen in due to the stringent laws surrounding it and the change in public opinion since it was opened. A lot of people might not support it closing but they wouldn't support a new one opening either.
    Call me Genni...

"Everyone deserves the chance to fly"

Keeper of the magical hunting bees with Trivium and Miharu

*proudly wears her dictionary straight-jacket*

hells monkey tbh...
    you are a big gay boy

*Disclaimer: When I argue unless I quote sources it is all my opinion. My way of writing is because I do creative writing and you can't sound uncertain.*

Quote Originally Posted by Youki-Hi View Post
    The thing is though some of the big ones, like pulling troops out of Iraq (which he's already started) and closing down guantanamo bay can be achieved in four years, and can have long lasting effects. Once Guantanamo is closed down it'd be next to impossible to reopen in due to the stringent laws surrounding it and the change in public opinion since it was opened. A lot of people might not support it closing but they wouldn't support a new one opening either.
    But where are all the Guantanamo inmates gonna go? Ate the just gonna be released into America?
    Emily

19 piercings:
    2 stretched lobes at 14mm - 4 lobes - helix - tragus - rook - scaffold -
    nostril - septum - munroe - tongue - 2 labrets - navel - 2 nipples

Scarred_pierced

Isnt that where they defied their own laws of imprisonment? They'd have to actually trial them perhaps?

Youki-Hi- i haven't actually been keeping track and i didn't realise he had already started that, how far along with that is he? Or is it just all on paper atm? Thats the thing with the american government aswell, everything takes so long to go through congress. I'm not saying it's impossible for him to achieve some of the things on his agenda but it may not be possible for all. Which america is pretty much expecting him to do, well so it seems, i mean he must be under alot of pressure, i personally wouldn't want to be in his position and you can only respect the man for taking all that on.
    Last edited by Scarred_pierced; 02-04-2009 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Emily-S View Post
    But where are all the Guantanamo inmates gonna go? Ate the just gonna be released into America?
    No. They'll actually have trials and if found guilty will continue their sentences in state prisons.

Most people think he's closing it within his first 100 days (So before April 29th) although he's only promised by the end of the year. In his first week (he's only been in since Jan 20th) he stopped torture and other illegal interrogation techniques in the facility. He's also put in things about welfare in Guantanamo to ensure that the inmates don't get treated as badly as they have been.

The Iraq stuff is still on paper, but there's a reason procedure and red tape is in place, it's to stop presidents making really horrible bits of legislation. If Obama could do things without consulting loads of people then anything could get through. It's a pain but I wouldn't like America to have a dictator, even if it would be far more efficient and not too bad if he was nice.

His first bit of legislation was one on fair pay, it ensures fair pay regardless of age, gender or race. He also extended the current children's health care plan to ensure more children have access to health facilities.

I can get why a lot of people are cynical. we've all been around while governments make big big claims which never materialise, but I've got hope and have been following his presidency.
    Call me Genni...

"Everyone deserves the chance to fly"

Keeper of the magical hunting bees with Trivium and Miharu

*proudly wears her dictionary straight-jacket*

hells monkey tbh...
    you are a big gay boy

*Disclaimer: When I argue unless I quote sources it is all my opinion. My way of writing is because I do creative writing and you can't sound uncertain.*

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234