Thread: Pregnancy/child birth and piercings

Default Pregnancy/child birth and piercings

Hello!Hope you all enjoyed Christmas!

I am nearly 5 months pregnant,and need some advice about my piercings.
    I have both nipples pierced,my navel and my clitoral hood,as well as my tongue,tragus and all the other usual ear piercings.
    I don't personally know of anyone who has gone through pregnancy and child birth with piercings(apart from navel piercings),so I thought the best place to ask would be on this forum!

I have heard all about navel retainers,the pregnancy sites that I have been on seem to only mention these, but no one can tell me about my other piercings -I would like to know how will my body react to them now it is changing,can I keep them in throughout pregnancy and childbirth,and if I have to take them out what about healing times??
    (I have had my nipples pirced around 12 years,my hood around 10 years,my navel around 14 years)

Also,has anyone had experience of breastfeeding with nipple piercings?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Bagpuss

I believe that the Victorians used to pierce women's nipples to enable children to suckle better... only what I heard but thought I'd add that.

I'd be tempted to take the VCH out.
    Piercings: 7 - PA (8mm), Both Nipples(4mm, 3.2mm), Lorum, Amp, 2xPinna
    Tattoos: 4 - Trojan Helmet and a swirly thing on my arse (among others)

Lord of the Rings

Well, I'm useless on this, but I do know that PTFE bars are good for pregnancies.

What's she gonna look like with a chimney on her?

Quoted from bme;

Some women's mods are totally unaffected by pregnancy, but others experience more destructive effects. As far as piercing, some women remove their nipple piercings, but there's usually no need to. Navel piercings are generally the only piercings affected. Most people just find it "pushes" out a little, and that they may have to remove it temporarily for the last couple months. A small percentage have their navel piercing reject.

In general, nipple piercing does not affect breast feeding unless something goes very wrong in your healing (extreme scarring, mastitis, etc.). There are about twenty milk ducts that exit the nipple, and a single piercing should do little to no damage to this system. That said, you should of course take the rings out while you're actually doing it.

HOWEVER:

There is a remote chance that an infection from a nipple piercing could damage milk ducts (again: remote chance) and jeopardize breast feeding, even after the piercing is removed (see the mastitis entry as well). Certainly it's worth considering the risks. It's a remote chance, but when it comes to offering the best health for your child, many future parents will choose to draw the "better safe than sorry" line very far on the "safe" side.

You can always get them pierced afterwards!

I think the VCH should come out personally.
    Body Mods: Middle lip, Side lip, left nose, Tongue, Tragus, Anti-Tragus, Industrial via conch, Pinna, Lobes x2, sternum
    Retired: two auricles and navel

firstly. congats on the pregnancy! ah likkle baby on route!
    ok here goes, I have 2 kids, both born the natural way, meaning not a caesar, and fed from the boob, so take it from one who knows, during the birth there are a lot of hands and instruments and wot not going on down there, so I would take ya vch out, in case it gets hooked, and I think you'll be going through enough pain down there to have that too! ouch....
    I f ya breast feeding, I would remove ya nipple jewellery soon, so you have time to heal well, coz, breast feeding is a whole new type of pain, chewed to death for the first few days then everything settles and it is a great thing to do, but I remember the initial "breaking in" period and by christ its a rough time so give ya body time to heal now! As for ya naval, not sure didnt get mine done till years later, but several of my mates left theirs in all the way through and they were fine, unless they went on to have a caeser then they had to take them out for the operation....any worries ask ya midwife and I'm sure she'll be able to calm any worries!... good luck hunxxx
    BJS straight jacket maker extraudinaire.
    FRIENDLIEST/PRIDE OF BJS AWARD WINNER 2007
    Happy death day to you baby,I know your flying in the blue now.

Thanks to all for the replies so far - it has made me feel a load better about what to do.
    I will more than likely take my vch out after reading pagan debbies' post - was sore immediately at the thought!!
    Nice thoughts on breast feeding,too!(sore and ouch spring to mind again)It all helps in helping me decide what to do though,so thanks again.

I've never took any of it out before,and as I've had them for so long I'm hoping I can put it all back in when the little bean is born,if the holes haven't grown over,failing that I can always get them pierced again!