Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: yey for the olympics!

Quote Originally Posted by lotty_mmm View Post
    and seriously i swear the chinese never used to win everything before?
    i hope that happens for us next year.
    They're third in number of medals in the last three games and won over 60 medals in Athens. Considering this is only their seventh go that's fantastic.

Wasn't Paula Radcliffe pathetic? At least she didn't pee everywhere like the last marathon. She's such a skank. *waits for the sports fanatics to kill her*

I really hope I'm not in London in 2012. I might go on a long vacation somewhere that's never heard of the olympics. Maybe the jungles of Peru.
    Call me Genni...

"Everyone deserves the chance to fly"

Keeper of the magical hunting bees with Trivium and Miharu

*proudly wears her dictionary straight-jacket*

hells monkey tbh...
    you are a big gay boy

*Disclaimer: When I argue unless I quote sources it is all my opinion. My way of writing is because I do creative writing and you can't sound uncertain.*

surreel

Quote Originally Posted by Youki-Hi View Post
    Wasn't Paula Radcliffe pathetic?
    You mean after all the hype that surrounded her? Well isn't it the British thing to be done? Build someone up so big in the mass media and then she fails in true Britsh fashion.

Looks like the sports that never get any of the hype in the papers are bring the medals in. Like Sailing, swimming, cycling and rowing.

Radcliffe didn't have that much hype around her this year, especially since she gained a stress fracture to her leg in May, and then only had 3 1/2 weeks of training prior to arriving in Beijing.

To be honest, after that I think it's a miracle the woman even finished.
    Gemm//Philby
    iam:bestservedLOUD

2x 12mm lobe
    helix rook tongue
    septum
    labret
    2mm conch/lobe orbital
    retired:
    nostril
    1x1mm lobes
    2x1.2mm lobes
    Quote Originally Posted by Maark View Post
    MMOs that are not WoW only exist to remind you that all MMOs that are not WoW suck.

surreel

A 4 page advert in most tabloid papers from her sponsors, full page spreads on her fitness or how she couldn't train or what ever it was with her a that day. She had more newspaper coverage then almost all of the rest of team. And still no medal from her.

It was almost as bad as Andy Murray, but thankfully he got dumped out in the early stages.

i think you guys are being far too harsh on radcliffe.
    did you see the poor woman cross the line?! she was a wreck!

Id not actually heard any hype about her prior to olympics, only speculation as to whether shed decide to run.... so it cant have been that extravagent! And even so... she deserves the hype, because when shes fit she IS a fantastic runner. shes just been unlucky with her fitness.
    Bring on 2012 i say!
    Piercings:
    Right Ear: Lobe x 2 (1.2), Helix (1.2), Conch (1.6)
    Left Ear: Lobe x 2 (1.2), Tragus (1.2)
    Retired:
    Nose

Wearing a black denim straight jacket with silver and purple glitter all over!
    (made by the lovely debbie!!)

I was talking more about her sobbing on the side of the track because she didn't win. She still got f*** loads of money for it. She still had more media coverage than anyone else at the olympic games. She made it to Beijing, most people are grateful for that, one of my mates is training for London 2012 and would be so incredibly happy to make it, even if they came last. She's just so ungrateful and thinks so much of herself. She's no Lance Armstrong.
    Call me Genni...

hells monkey tbh...
    you are a big gay boy

*Disclaimer: When I argue unless I quote sources it is all my opinion. My way of writing is because I do creative writing and you can't sound uncertain.*

Wow I think everyone's being unbelievably harsh on Paula Radcliffe. After the injury, everything the marathon took out of her and the lashings of disappointment, criticism and scorn that she's undoubtedly going to get from the British public and press, I don't for a second blame her for breaking down. And the pain and the exhaustion on top of all that? It would've worn anyone down.
    Hiya, I'm Lynn (:

Current:
    Lobex6 [incl. 2x6mm stretches]
    Left helix
    Nostril
    Tongue
    Navel
    Centre labret

Get drunk. Get pierced. & Dance like no one's watching.
    Life's too short not to.

I think she was in an incredible amount of pain.

And youki, has she REALLY had more media coverage than anyone at the olympic games? (heard of phelps?!?!)
    Piercings:
    Right Ear: Lobe x 2 (1.2), Helix (1.2), Conch (1.6)
    Left Ear: Lobe x 2 (1.2), Tragus (1.2)
    Retired:
    Nose

Wearing a black denim straight jacket with silver and purple glitter all over!
    (made by the lovely debbie!!)

surreel

Quote Originally Posted by FakeFlower View Post
    has she REALLY had more media coverage than anyone at the olympic games? (heard of phelps?!?!)
    In the run up, yes. Now that the British media have realised that there are other sports where we kick arse and take names, they have been giving them some much needed attention.

Yes she has. Most newspapers had about half of their olympics coverage in the run up based on her. The day she came 23rd she had more coverage than the people getting medals. Rebecca Adlington got 2 golds and I hadn't heard her name before she won them. It's something the media over here does. Latches onto one person even if they're not the best.

I guess running will always get the most coverage even though no-one I know cares about it much. I always like the taekwando and the equestrian stuff but you hear bugger all about that.
    Last edited by Youki-Hi; 08-19-2008 at 04:16 PM.
    Call me Genni...

hells monkey tbh...
    you are a big gay boy