Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The pyschology behind piercings

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The pyschology behind piercings

I'm doing a psychology degree and it got me thinking about why people have piercings....its 1am and im bored so I thought I'd bore you all with my theorys!

Alot of people will say they have piercings purely because they like them but surely there must be something deeper to it?? It doesnt make much sense to have piercings as it goes against your body so therefore why do so may people have them.

Obviously the social side could play a major role. Example: Your friend has a lip piercing, you look up to her and want to be like her so therefore you get your lip pierced. Something similar works with role models, example, Tom Delonge, many young guys idolised him and wanted to be like him therefore copied him by having their lip pierced.

This doesnt explain why some people have piercings despite having noone to "copy" as such. Maybe piercings work on a deeper level. Perhaps people who have very low self esteem and are unhappy with their appearance have piercings to disguise the way they look. Or it is a way to punish yourself.

And there is the "rebel against parents and society" theory of cause.

Freud would probably say it was due to some fixation or too much conflict at some stage or another.

Ok any more would require me to get my text books out and i'm too lazy, but what is everyones reasons for getting piercings???
    Body Mods: Middle lip, Side lip, left nose, Tongue, Tragus, Anti-Tragus, Industrial via conch, Pinna, Lobes x2, sternum
    Retired: two auricles and navel

Ok, I got my first ear lobs piercings to stop people thinking I was a guy (had very short hair) my second becuse my Mum let me, my third, well why not? The top of my left ear, erm, again, mum let me :P My navel because, I guess that was because other people had it. My nose because I'd wanted it forever as I think it looks great. My lip, I'm still trying to work that one out. Up to the point where I was so deperate to have it I imagined having the metal in my mouth and felt weird without it. I felt like something was missing. But thism ight have been because I'd wanted it for so long, I don't know.

I have a lot of piercing but they are in mostly accepted places so I didn't really do it for shock value or to be a reble. I think it's just that it looks nice. Though I have got lazy, I wear identical earrings in my lob piercings :P

Any good?

yeah, it seems mostly you got yours done as you saw them on other people and thought "yeah I like that" so got it done yourself. I think thats why alot of people have it done. The first one was an interesting one psychologically!, but it does make sense, you didnt want people to think you were a boy so you had two lobe piercings as most people see this as a "girl" thing, If you had had one done then people would have thought you were a guy! I wonder why one (not so much now) was only a guy thing. I guess guys like to be separated from females as they feel suprior on some level maybe??
    Body Mods: Middle lip, Side lip, left nose, Tongue, Tragus, Anti-Tragus, Industrial via conch, Pinna, Lobes x2, sternum
    Retired: two auricles and navel

I think it's a macho thing. guys usually take a sideways stance and with an earing they might look more dominering. I don't now. :P Wouldn't work for me as my top ear piercing is on the left side while my nose is on the right :P Also I'm not a guy....

I try and get piercings that i dont see very often, like not common piercings for most people. I dont terribly know why, I love my piercings, I guess I sorta like to be a little different than the normal preppy people I always see around. That prolly why I have a mohawk too. 8)

You can see all of mine part from my neval. I think it's propably because i'm to scared to have it dont in the places you can't see!

Universe A (the other one kinda feels like a B)

Right then! Sounds like something to do on this wonderfully productive day where i achieve nothing... sorry, i have a lot of time on my hands these days.

Anyone up for a little exertion of apparently 'free' will over our physical forms?
    Expression of inner spirit?

Some of mine are purely sex, some a demarcation from the norm, some a right of passage in personal terms having them done....

I enjoy the control. Body mods are a great thing to make you feel like you can control stuff in your life, be that an appearance issue or not, i.e. think of how you might like to change things and make it happen. Personalise, maybe in a standardized way, but personal nonetheless. And not because you feel bad that someone's cooler...

Its a challenge too, the physical hardship involved makes it all more spiritual somehow, mind over body and all that. I like to think my lip ring celebrates and marks devotion to being veggie for five years now...

I also enjoy the feeling that i can make a demand on my body to produce, for example, more ear lobe and stretch it out - take advantage of the infinite adaptability of the human body and see what happens. Its like i asked my ear to produce more skin by applying the right kind of pressure for a while and hey presto, more skin i get. brilliant.

Its nice to have trophies (shiny metal rings in holes) of the hardship of being pierced + healing. rite of passage type thing again.
    It makes me feel powerful.
    Knowing i've got the stones to get my dick pierced and most guys don't is a total ego trip too. its great! I've never had inadequacy issues to speak of, it was more to see if i could do it and if so hopefully enjoy and explore the kinky new stimulation... take control over sexuality in a new/different/experiemental way i guess. body ownership.

Trying new things for the experience is part of it.

I've always been a bit of an adrenaline junkie too, mainlining it off skateboarding for most of my life, which i've had to take a hiatus from due to rubbish in my knee. I've had most of my piercings this year during that lull in activity; i feel it somehow makes up for what i got there, the rush, the realization of thoughts (i want to jump that hip --> i jump that hip, i want a nipple ring --> i get a nipple ring) - the general personal satisfaction and shear bloody gnarliness :mrgreen:
    You think it --> it happens. Being your own god, that type of thing. Listening to the light inside for your cues. Doing whatever it takes - reinforcing personal feelings of strength, dedication and the like. Some kind of physical prayer?

Maybe its a challenge to nature and the way of things for us as humans...

I have lived through some traumas in my life, bereavements, divorce, physical + mental breakdowns, depression, breakdown of phd... control, self exploration after recovery from shitty things, looking for some inner something, strength - and knowing its there. I think this is what it takes to get me trough these days. It makes me feel alive again.
    I was a higly stimulated over achiever for a loooong time; i lost that kind of feeling about a year or two ago. I feel good again now though, partly through the experiences in piercing.

Not to go on about it or anything.....
    L&R {nips, 14mm lobes, upper+lower conch (L.lower@4mm), helix}, centre lower lip, lowbrets-no-more, PA@6mm
    are ya smokin' yet?

i started getting them purely because i like the look, but now... when i get an idea, i want to try it out.

i also want my ears to be unique, and look interesting.

so yeah, not any major reasons, just something to do i guess.

Wow timb, that's interesting! I like the control idea, controlling your own body. Hmmm. I can't be tall, I can't be thin but I am damn well going to be sparkley:P (I think this is missing your point:P)

I guess for me it's a reason to wear jewlry as I hate necklasses and only wear my engagment ring. I have 100s of belly bars and have great joy deciding what to wear next I've gotten lazy with my earings as I kept losing them! So now I just wear sleeper unless it's a special ocasion. It's the same with my nose, I kept losing the studs! So now I just wear one nice little one and take it out at night (I lost most of my while sleeping because I ripped them out during the night!) I can't wait to start buying bars and rings for my lip Only two weeks

Universe A (the other one kinda feels like a B)

I guess i got a little carried away there...
    totally forgot about the whole accesories thing - i like being able to screw different attachments onto my face/ears to go with mood/occassion/whim. its unconventional jewellery, similar to but different from necklaces and bangles and brooches and hats and stuff that 'norms' get to wear without persecution.
    yeah, stuff about opening chakras too... there's a hindu(?) god/lord of piercing, i forget the name, all about opening up and stuff, enegy flow and that. i like to toy with the idea of only speaking the truth now my lip is pierced with its own unique hole, like any lie i tried to hide would flood out and destroy my world. or something. the truth will always flood out, thats it.
    oh, and i'll only do it for love too.
    L&R {nips, 14mm lobes, upper+lower conch (L.lower@4mm), helix}, centre lower lip, lowbrets-no-more, PA@6mm
    are ya smokin' yet?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast