Thread: The useless stretching post

Quote Originally Posted by poodlewash View Post
    Maybe a weird question, but apart from being a bit gross, is 'wet ear' actually bad for you? I get it when I wear glass but I love glass so much I pretty much wear it exclusively - but I do try and clean them every day in the shower.
    I don't think it can harm you in any way really, just make sure it doesn't get so bad it causes too much irritation.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by kitebunny View Post
    I've never had wet ear from wearing glass. Individual thing perhaps?

It's easy to add lobe care into your daily routine I just pop my plugs out before a shower/bath, wash my lobes along with the rest of me, then a quick rub with oil or holey butt'r before putting plugs in again.
    If I'm actively stretching (or wanting to) I add a bedtime oil massage as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by redraven View Post
    That's my routine as well. I get wet ear from glass too, never found out why, guts me because it's one of my favourite materials :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Coraz0ndeOro View Post
    I wear glass like 99% of the time and I do get a lot of "ear cheese." Kinda sucks because I don't get it at all if I wear crappy materials like acrylic and silicone, and I get less if I wear metals but it smells worse. It doesn't get too out of hand if I take my plugs out to clean every day but if I forget they get pretty gross.
    Quote Originally Posted by soph_17 View Post
    I'd say it must be. I wear glass most of the time and i've never had it!

I don't specifically wash my lobes as such, guess my ears get cleaned in the shower but i'm kinda careful atm having ear piercings still healing.I don't ever sleep with plugs in (unless i'm hammered and then I just don't care), so after i've showered I just leave them to dry off for a bit then oil and pop my plugs back in. If they feel like they need it, I do massages as and when.
    I guess i'm quite lucky really, i've not had any issues with my lobes .
    Quote Originally Posted by poodlewash View Post
    Maybe a weird question, but apart from being a bit gross, is 'wet ear' actually bad for you? I get it when I wear glass but I love glass so much I pretty much wear it exclusively - but I do try and clean them every day in the shower.
    Thanks for all the replies!
    It seems that it's hit or miss, half of you get it and the other half do not. I guess I'm one of the unlucky ones!
    I'm not trying to buy another pair of plugs when I'll just be leaving this size in a few months so I'll just remember to clean them daily and oil them as often as possible.
    Thing is, I prefer to oil before showers rather than after because it's so oily. Is that okay?
    Current
    Ears: Left forward and standard helix, left tragus, left daith. Right rook, right double inner conch. 1g and 14g lobes.
    Face: Right nostril, septum, vertical labret.
    Other: Tongue, standard and inverse navel, left and right nipple.

I think it's fine, especially if you keep it on your lobes during your shower so it has a chance to sink in.

Can anyone tell me how to care for wood plugs? I have my first pair on the way and I want to keep them looking new.
    I'm Lindsay.
    Piercings:
    Ears: Right conch, left conch, left double helix, 1/2" lobes.
    Other: Both nostrils, septum, VCH, navel
    RIP: Left eyebrow, right double tragus
    7 tattoos!

Quote Originally Posted by Coraz0ndeOro View Post
    Can anyone tell me how to care for wood plugs? I have my first pair on the way and I want to keep them looking new.
    From BAF:
    Wood (all types) Please visit Esoteric Body (A hardwood jewelry company) for more information about woods and care. They specialize in this area, so the informaion is very comprehensive and useful if you are wanting wood jewelry. Wood jewelry is light weight, natural, and comes in a variety of types/colors. As long as the surface is sanded/polished very smooth, it should be comfortable to wear. It is porous and does absorb moisture from the skin so keeping it oiled daily with natural oils (jajoba, vitamin E) will help.
    Wood jewelry should only be worn in healed piercings.
    Keep your wood jewelry oiled to keep in good condition, and from cracking. You can use jajoba oil, coconut oil, or any other natural plant oil.
    Try not to get wood jewelry wet (shower, swimming, etc) for extended amounts of time. Best thing to do is just take it out during these activities and then put it back in afterwards.
    From time to time you should wipe your plugs down with a damp wash cloth. Pat them dry, and re-oil them before wearing them.
    Over time the grain of wood can "raise up" so you may need to re-sand it with 800 grit sandpaper and then buffed with 1200 grit sandpaper.
    Avoid leaving your wood jewelry in direct sunlight.
    Wood can not be autoclaved or sterilized.
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue

OMFG there are SO MANY glass plug makers on etsy!

*drools*
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue

Quote Originally Posted by tacosareyummeh View Post
    Ah, well then it's probably just the fact I only oil them once a week, if that. I should really start doing so daily.
    Do you know why it causes that? These are the only plugs I have in this size and I heard these are the best for ears because wood is too dry, steel can get too cold, and acrylic is just too yucky to wear for months at a time.
    Bit late replying, sorry, but I do think it's just a personal thing; like how quickly sebum/funk can build up on plugs/tunnels in lobes or septums, and some find certain materials work better for them than others.

I have wood plugs, two different kinds, but not ready to try them yet. Still waiting on glass.

I've had SS, titanium, Bioplast, and niobium in my septum with no funk issues.

Maybe wet ear is due to your ear/body heat and causing condensation on the glass, but inside the piercing. Unless its a fungal type thing, like people get between their toes. That's just speculation though.

Also, I don't have any issues with my SS tunnels or eyelets getting cold, but my lobes are only 5mm right now, though it is freezin' here.
    Last edited by RedBullBabe; 11-15-2012 at 03:30 PM.
    ------
    Current: 6xpinna (2mm L&R/2x1.2mm L 2x1.6mm R), 2xauricle (1.6/2mm R), 3rd lobes (2mm), nostril (2mm R), navel (1.6mm), inv. navel (1.6mm), tongue (1.6mm), eyebrow (1.2mm R), 1st lobes (10mm), tragus (1.2mm L), septum (3.5mm).

Future: Eyebrow (L), 1st lobes (1/2"), scaffold (L), nape, nips, nostril (L), outer conch punch (6/8mm), VCH.

Retired: Navel (1.6mm L/R) 8/1/14&2012, Misplaced 2nd lobe (1.2mm R) 10/3/13, 2nd lobes (1.6mm L&R) 11/9/13.

Tattoos: 4.

two out of four lobies are now their goal size! now to get my right lower up from 8mm, and the left seconds up from 4mm :/
    they seem so stubborn and un stretchy!

3 x helix (1.6mm, 8mm), rook, snug, 2 x tragus (1.2mm, 4mm), 2 x daith, anti tragus, 2 x 16mm lobes, 6mm conch punch, 8mm helix punch

double nostrils, philtrum, double septum (2mm, 10mm)

3.2mm + 2.4mm navel, 2 x horizontal nipple, R vertical 2.4mm nipple, 2 x inner labia

want:6mm tragus

Just got some Holey Butt'r because oil seems to irritate my eczema... hope it helps -_-
    Hi, I'm Kerry
    Facebook / Tumblr

Current:
    Left ear: L
    obe (5mm), rook, anti-tragus,
    Right ear: Lobe (12mm), tragus, forward helix, conch
    Septum

Right horizontal nipple

Navel
    Right nostril

Retired:
    Inverse Navel
    Left tragus

I just started stretching my ears last week. Can't wait to go to the next size but I know I have to wait and be patient.

I don't think I have the right placement on my lobe to get to my goal size :( It seems to be creeping to the edge a bit too much for my liking
    Hi, I'm Kerry
    Facebook / Tumblr

Current:
    Left ear: L
    obe (5mm), rook, anti-tragus,
    Right ear: Lobe (12mm), tragus, forward helix, conch
    Septum

Right horizontal nipple

Navel
    Right nostril

Retired:
    Inverse Navel