View Poll Results: Should cannabis be legalized in Britain?

Voters
634. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

400 63.09%
  • No

170 26.81%
  • Undecided

64 10.09%

Thread: Legalize it?

Quote Originally Posted by CobaltBlue View Post
    No. Not at all.

I have seen people - 'friends' - attack a random woman on the street because they were high, 3 guys on this woman, if me and my brother and his girlfriend weren't there, who knows what could have happened to that woman.

Totally legalizing it would be insane.
    That is the most ridiculous attempt at making a point about why weed shouldn't be legalized......if we were to use your logic, almost everything in the world should be illegal, including government. I have nothing more to say besides YES it should be legal, but I'll still live if it isn't. Not like that ever stops me from smoking.

Hi,

i can talk about the medical side a bit, i know it's a separate issue to recreational smoking, but it's still kind of related.
    I'm in an electric wheelchair with a neuromuscular disease, and have had a couple of operations on my spine to help straighten my back which was bending because of scoliosis. Any way, i get pains, in my shoulders and top of my back due to not having the muscular strength to keep my shoulders 'up'. The pain gets severe quite rarely, but when it does, over the counter medication, doesn't even take the edge off. I smoked cannabis, when i was younger and experimenting, as a lot of people do. i was 18 and read up and researched it before hand. but i noticed it made a difference to my shoulder and back pain, even thought it wasn't particularly bad when i took it (and i was just trying it for fun). then i tried it when they were extremely sore, to see if it would work then, and it took the pain away. i don't know whether it was because it relaxed my muscles, or whether it was because of something else to do with the effect of cannabis, i wouldn't like to say for certain why it worked, but i know that it did, and does.
    In the past 6 months, I've smoked it 2 or 3 times, and the past year, maybe 10 times in total. so I'm not a big smoker now by any standard.
    I've found something that works for me, that is easy to get and is definitely worth the monetary price that i have to pay, to actually get real pain relief. I only smoke it when the pain gets very severe, as i feel the risk of getting caught, compared to the relief i get from mild to bad pain isn't worth it - for me personally.

I think it's easy for someone who has never had to experience prolonged pain on a somewhat regular basis to say "get legal strong pain killers"(which generally put you to sleep or have very addictive qualities, and can be hard to get anyway) or "it doesn't matter, smoking it is wrong - period" but I think it might help to genuinely try and think of the effect of not having the best quality of life, and being denied being able to do simple things for yourself because of a disability - and then throwing severe pain on top of that which limits you further, which then means you can do even less for yourself, then finding something you can use to alleviate the pain completely or close to completely (i've personally found it gets rid of all the pain) that doesn't make you sleep all the time and is fairly enjoyable to take - and then being told if you get caught you face up to 5 years in prison; how hard that can be to rationalise and live with.

sorry if i've gone on, but i think some people need to try to empathise a bit, rather than dismissing the idea completely because it doesn't fit with their idea of how the world should be
    Hey there, I'm Andy
    Currently no piercings,
    but Thinking about a lip piercing and a scaffold!

I'm glad someone brought up the point of it's medicinal properties. I've used it for head aches, nausea, and period pains, and nothing has worked faster than smoking.
    Now, I know people will try and argue this, but I also believe it's a great anti depressant. If it's being used as a method of escape, then obviously it's not really healthy, but in my opinion it really helps put things into perspective when you're down about something dumb, or it keeps depression from even coming forth. I'm not saying that if you're contemplating suicide you should go smoke a joint, but when I'm smoking on the daily I find I don't get depressed very often, but when I stop is when I feel the extreme effects of it. I've noticed this not only applies to me, but others as well. One of my best friends girlfriend used to smoke but then for a few months stopped. I noticed a huge change in her, which was her becoming severely angry and depressed a majority of the time. She recently started smoking again, and since then I've noticed a huge improvement in her mood. She's now happy, laughing, and pleasant to be around again. It just kinda makes me angry when people are pro anti depressant pills, but completely dismiss using something illegal for the same thing. Just because it doesn't work for you, or someone you know abused it, doesn't mean it doesn't work for others. You can sit there and say it doesn't work or it's false recovery all you want, but I fail to see the difference in taking pills that are legal, and generally more harmful and addictive than weed to begin with.
    Current
    Ears: Left forward and standard helix, left tragus, left daith. Right rook, right double inner conch. 1g and 14g lobes.
    Face: Right nostril, septum, vertical labret.
    Other: Tongue, standard and inverse navel, left and right nipple.

Now, I know people will try and argue this, but I also believe it's a great anti depressant.
    I would definitely agree- but as every thing in life, it depends on the individual.

I was diagnosed with depression about 8 years ago - 6 years before i even looked at cannabis in real life.
    when i was 18 or so, i found if i smoked it once a week, it helped for 3 or 4 days afterwards and would stop me feeling depressed.
    which was a great relief. i cut it down after doing this for a year or so - to see if i would feel different, or more energetic (bearing in mind i hadn't felt like i had energy for years before smoking weed). So i stopped for 6 months or so, just in case i might have been prolonging feeling tired and stuff.I i didn't really find it made any great difference. To me it just felt after 6 months the equivalent as if i hadn't smoked for a day, so i concluded from that, that it didn't effect me energy wise after not smoking for only a day. But then they chose to bring it back up to class b, during the time I'd decided to stop for 6 months. So now, i only use it as a form of pain relief, when it's at its very worse, because i don't want to take the risk of being caught buying it or smoking it (lets face it, I'm hardly going to be able to sprint away if i am caught :P).

I think there are people who could benefit from smoking it, and others who shouldn't smoke it, but i believe that to be the case with almost , if not, everything in life. Anything to excess is bad, and if you find it to be effecting you in ways you don't want it to, it would make sense to not smoke it.
    But just because someone smokes to excess and feels sick, and then says its horrible and shouldn't be touched by anyone, based on their own limited experience, doesn't mean its bad for everyone. Just the same as me saying it's not negatively impacted me, doesn't mean it's good for everyone.
    Moderation, knowing your own limits and respecting it as a drug is what everyone should practice, and this is just like every other aspect of life.
    Hey there, I'm Andy
    Currently no piercings,
    but Thinking about a lip piercing and a scaffold!

I think weed is like most other legal and illegal drugs. It affects people in different ways. Some people will get so 'high' that they don't know what they're doing (apparently as I've never seen/known anyone to even remotely act this way just off normal cannabis), some people will develop paranoia, depression and anxiety etc. Those people shouldn't take it, it has a bad effect on them. Just the same as people who get agressive and nasty when they drink.

If I smoke, I relax, chill out and generally get a bit giggly. If I drink I get giddy, silly and a bit loud. If either made it so I didn't know what I was doing, I had horrible side effects on my personality or I depended on them for no reason then I wouldn't touch either as I have sense and don't want to upset others around me.

On the medical side nothing usually touches my sciatica but a smoke can ease it, prescribed anti inflammatory pills make me ill for days on end so they're not an option any more and I find weed is an excellent anti nausea drug for me too.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by scoped View Post
    I would definitely agree- but as every thing in life, it depends on the individual.

I was diagnosed with depression about 8 years ago - 6 years before i even looked at cannabis in real life.
    when i was 18 or so, i found if i smoked it once a week, it helped for 3 or 4 days afterwards and would stop me feeling depressed.
    which was a great relief. i cut it down after doing this for a year or so - to see if i would feel different, or more energetic (bearing in mind i hadn't felt like i had energy for years before smoking weed). So i stopped for 6 months or so, just in case i might have been prolonging feeling tired and stuff.I i didn't really find it made any great difference. To me it just felt after 6 months the equivalent as if i hadn't smoked for a day, so i concluded from that, that it didn't effect me energy wise after not smoking for only a day. But then they chose to bring it back up to class b, during the time I'd decided to stop for 6 months. So now, i only use it as a form of pain relief, when it's at its very worse, because i don't want to take the risk of being caught buying it or smoking it (lets face it, I'm hardly going to be able to sprint away if i am caught :P).

I think there are people who could benefit from smoking it, and others who shouldn't smoke it, but i believe that to be the case with almost , if not, everything in life. Anything to excess is bad, and if you find it to be effecting you in ways you don't want it to, it would make sense to not smoke it.
    But just because someone smokes to excess and feels sick, and then says its horrible and shouldn't be touched by anyone, based on their own limited experience, doesn't mean its bad for everyone. Just the same as me saying it's not negatively impacted me, doesn't mean it's good for everyone.
    Moderation, knowing your own limits and respecting it as a drug is what everyone should practice, and this is just like every other aspect of life.
    I agree with all of this completely.
    Current
    Ears: Left forward and standard helix, left tragus, left daith. Right rook, right double inner conch. 1g and 14g lobes.
    Face: Right nostril, septum, vertical labret.
    Other: Tongue, standard and inverse navel, left and right nipple.

So there is a debate on using cannabis as a mood stabilizer. Yes, that's exactly what it is. Doesn't make you too happy, doesn't make you too sad....juuuust makes you chill. There's also a debate that it aggravates mental illness such as onset schizophrenia. (Honestly though, I think you have to be prone to it to actually develop it). Then there are prescription mood stabilizers such as anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, anti-convulsants (used for bipolar), and good old lithium. Now I have, first hand, seen all these drugs reek havoc on my sister's brain and make her become crazier than she ever was. She just recently halted all medicinal treatments and is doing better than she has in years. However, I am taking an anti-convulsant and an anti-depressant and am doing better than I have in years.

My point being is that drugs effect people differently. Some people may develop schizophrenia from smoking cannabis while others are just merry as ever. Some people may develop the mental illness they are trying to prevent (and may inexplicably lactate) while taking prescription mood stabilizers while others (such as myself) haven't felt better since they were six years old.

My answer is yes, cannabis should be legal because alcohol is legal and they have both made me throw up so that makes them equal. That makes sense, right?

Cannabis isnt supposed to be illegal: those who smoke are criminalized and maybe even stigmatized of morally reasons only - I dont think moral should count here xx

The only legitimate reason as to why it isn't legal already is because it isn't government regulated and taxed. Legalise it.
    Current piercings: 1.6mm side labret, 1.6mm medusa, 1.2mm anti-eyebrow, 1.2mm bridge, 2x nostrils, 2x lobes, 16mm and 3mm.
    Planned: 24mm lobes, cheeks, second side labret.

Current tattoos: owl on left forearm, Mischief Brew lyrics on calf.
    Planned: roses on chest, skulls on feet.

I've had this discussion many times... and tbh the immediate effects of legalising would be catastrophic as many people would rush to buy/try/die all in the name of social acceptance and media hype. You'd have to create outlets, recording and monitoring systems etc.

There's no use giving the country another substance to binge on (especially one that's going to give them sofa lock when they're supposed to be at work).

Enter David Nutt's suggestion of a 'holding class' for drugs... I believe this would work as it would slowly introduce said substance into the mainstream and encourage caution with use.

That being said, I like to smoke a lot. This doesn't mean the rest of the world can handle their smoke.
    Rob <3's you all... except you.

Current
    Labret (1.6), Tongue (9) Septum (6), medusa (1.6), right nipple (1.6), left conch (1.6), right conch (7), vertical lowbret X 2 (1.6), helix (3.2), left lobe (18 & 2.4), right lobe (14)

Retired
    side lip x 3 (1.6), right lobe (6), pinna (1), naval (1.6), bridge (1.6), left nipple (1.6) old stupid black heart tattoo.

Ink -
    some ink...

IAM: NameLess