Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rock Climbing

Default Rock Climbing

Any other climbers out there?

Where do you climb? What sort of rock?

Personally, I tend to be indoors over winter, then I love Gower....climbing and beaches!

i've always wanted to try it.
    Lobes : Both 8mm.

"I stood by too many goddamn times, turned a blind eye, let it pass. But never again, never again. An example will be set and you will pay your debt to me in blood."

Really? Hey, you should try it. If you like something that is both a physical and mental challenge, then it beats a gym any day. And if you get climbing outdoors, it's even better.

I'd look around for an indoor wall near you, and go and see if they'd let you have a go and see if you like it. Most places do let you do that. Where are you based?

I love rock climbing
    wish i could do it more often tbh
    Anniabella Frances Bourckhina Berry
    DJ KT is my wife
    Lobes 19mm
    Lobes 1.6mm
    Snakebites
    Double Monroes
    Centre Labret
    Septum 2mm
    Nostril 1.2mm

arghh i love rock climbing
    theres not really any good climbing walls near me :(

Quote Originally Posted by Evie View Post
    Really? Hey, you should try it. If you like something that is both a physical and mental challenge, then it beats a gym any day. And if you get climbing outdoors, it's even better.

I'd look around for an indoor wall near you, and go and see if they'd let you have a go and see if you like it. Most places do let you do that. Where are you based?
    think i might have a look around actually.
    i think i'll find it pretty good. (:
    Lobes : Both 8mm.

"I stood by too many goddamn times, turned a blind eye, let it pass. But never again, never again. An example will be set and you will pay your debt to me in blood."

I tried it as a kid, but found it really difficult. i'm thinking of trying again, only since today so it's funny that this thread was on the front page when I signed in, but we went to this beach with these huge rocks that would be amazing - but they're not high enough :(

Is it a big gripping-with-the-tips-of-your-fingers thing? Coz that's what I found really hard, at this indoor place anyway (wherever it was).
    [Rivet]
    Lobes, Helix (left), Eyebrow (best.choice.ever)
    Possibilities: Tragus (right), Shamrock tattoo
    CURRENTLY SPORTING A DARK RED SATINBACK CREPE STRAITJACKET WITH "RIVET" IN RIVETS IN A SOUTHERN CROSS SHAPE BY DESIGNER DEBBIE

For anyone in england who lives in/near london, there is a fantastic indoor climing wall at Mile End, ive been there once or twice and its fantastic, im not very good but the support you get from the other climbers is huge, they're always willing to give you a hand ect, or just egg you on if you're doing a really hard climb ect.

Another good place in the Surrey / London area is Craggy Island, in Guildford. The climbs there are all set by a guy called Mark Croxall, who was World Champion a couple of years back, and it is excellent. On the website UK Climbing, you can search for indoor walls in your area too, on a search engine, which is very helpful.

Regarding the comment on whether it is all pulling yourself up with your fingers, I'd say, well, sometimes. However, the muscles I use most are in my legs and stomach - the kind of core strength ones, I guess....Your forearms and fingers will get stronger, and with practice, you don't mind using the tips of your fingers on holds, but no-one starts there, it took me ages to manage it!

I agree that the climbing community is very friendly, and very helpful. When I started, I was sure everyone was just going to laugh at me, as a beginner, like I had experienced in other sports......but all i ever got was positive helpful input from people.

Come climbing, guys, you know you want to......

Just realised I forgot to add my pic: this was a nice, straightforward climb in an old quarry outside Manchester, on a freezing cold evening in late spring this year....I was not leading this time, as I could not feel my hands....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast