Thread: Best thing that happened to you today?

Magnificent Moderator Kaitey (:'s Avatar

Had a nice evening out at the national museum late nights and went to an amazing talk with Dr Matt Lodder on the emergence of tattooing in British culture and the origins of tattooists as a profession. Definitely recommend him if you ever get a chance to see any of his lectures, and I can't wait to read his book when it's published!
    I'm Katie, one of the mods on here.
    Please read the forum rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitey (: View Post
    Had a nice evening out at the national museum late nights and went to an amazing talk with Dr Matt Lodder on the emergence of tattooing in British culture and the origins of tattooists as a profession. Definitely recommend him if you ever get a chance to see any of his lectures, and I can't wait to read his book when it's published!

Strangely enough I've just started following him on twitter! I'm not sure, but he might have his PhD thesis online somewhere and that's probably worth a read. Unless he is revamping his thesis into the book, in which case he won't have put his thesis online haha

His books is basically what his talk was on so quite possibly. He seemed genuinely lovely. My friend was full on squee-ing at seeing him IRL because she quoted him in her thesis many moons ago haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitey (: View Post
    His books is basically what his talk was on so quite possibly. He seemed genuinely lovely. My friend was full on squee-ing at seeing him IRL because she quoted him in her thesis many moons ago haha!
    That must have been pretty cool, I go a bit academically fanboyish if I get to meet people I've cited in stuff.

She was so excited bless her! All the people I've cited in my work are long since dead! I kinda really want to go to the pub with him!

Made myself a really nice curry tonight. I'm still at the stage of cooking where I feel really proud of myself whenever I make anything more advanced than basic pasta and sauce. Some of my flatmates even complimented the smells in the kitchen, haha. And I made enough for two servings, so I don't have to do any cooking tomorrow.
    Current: 9mm lobes, 5mm left tragus, 5mm left conch, tongue web, nasallang, left rook, left anti-tragus, right tragus, right daith, right snug, right forward helix, bridge, 5mm septum, three-point left helix spiral, double left eyebrow

Planning: ​ Vertical labret re-pierced

So, it looks like I'll be in Dublin this summer.... Who wants to hang?
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -Winston Churchill

Current: 4x lobes, left industrial, right helix, right nostril, left conch, 2x diagonal(ish) nipples, right daith, left surface tragus

Tats: 3 hours, 2 pieces

Quote Originally Posted by Thehorror View Post
    So, it looks like I'll be in Dublin this summer.... Who wants to hang?
    I'd love to go to Dublin! My boyfriend and I had planned it as a holiday this year, but it was so expensive. =( We ended up going to Amsterdam instead, which is fine by me, because I love the Netherlands. ^_^
    Piercings
    3x Standard Lobe
    1x 4mm Lobe
    2x Helix
    1x Rook
    2x Navel

1x Nipple
    1x Faux Snug (1x Conch/1x Helix)
    1x Triangle
    1x Septum
    1x Daith

Tattoos
    Side Piece; 5.5 hours

Other
    1x Magnetic Implant

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    I'd love to go to Dublin! My boyfriend and I had planned it as a holiday this year, but it was so expensive. =( We ended up going to Amsterdam instead, which is fine by me, because I love the Netherlands. ^_^
    Come visit meeeee....

Wait, Scandinavia is cheaper than the island literally across a tiny channel?
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -Winston Churchill

Current: 4x lobes, left industrial, right helix, right nostril, left conch, 2x diagonal(ish) nipples, right daith, left surface tragus

Tats: 3 hours, 2 pieces

Quote Originally Posted by Thehorror View Post
    Come visit meeeee....

Wait, Scandinavia is cheaper than the island literally across a tiny channel?

The Netherlands is above Belgium/west of Germany, not in Scandinavia. =P Amsterdam is probably about as far as Dublin from London, as the crow flies, though.

But yeah, when we looked it seemed to be really expensive. =( But I think Amsterdam is cheap because it's a popular 'stag do' destination? Bit like Prague in the Czech Republic.
    Piercings
    3x Standard Lobe
    1x 4mm Lobe
    2x Helix
    1x Rook
    2x Navel

1x Nipple
    1x Faux Snug (1x Conch/1x Helix)
    1x Triangle
    1x Septum
    1x Daith

Tattoos