Thread: Best thing that happened to you today?

I tip taxi drivers... Maybe throw the odd coin in a tip jar at a coffee place or whatever. I don't go to the hair salon often, but last time I was there I didn't tip. Not that I'm miserly, I just didn't think to do it

rook
    conch
    daith
    lobes

Retired snug

Tumblr

I always tip my hairdresser and groomer. My hairdresser is second to none and doesn't charge extortionate prices. She deserves her tip.

Groomers have a VERY hard job. I have groomed our girls myself and because of bad groomers, they're frightened now so our new groomer is helping us out. She is embarrassed to accept the tip but I make her take it. All sorts of nervous or snappy dogs may have to be groomed on any particular day and the abuse they get sometimes is appalling. I like to think my tip boosts them up a little.

I also like to buy them something at Christmas, whether it is a bouquet of flowers or a large box of chocolates. I've tipped enough gits in my time, the good ones earn it..and then some, in my book.
    Right ear......2 x lobes, 2 x helix. Left ear......2 x lobes, 2 x helix. Left side of nose.
    Retired......3rd piercings on right and left lobe.
    Rejected......navel piercing
    Now the proud owner of both a left and right tragus piercing.
    Left conch.
    Looking forward to some more Neometal and Industrial Strength earrings.

I tip if I believe I've received excellent service. If I'm paying £60 for my hair doing, I can't afford to tip my hairdresser too. But she's earning over £20 an hour when I pay her that much, so I don't think she's going to go hungry without a tip. I don't tip taxi drivers, they set the fare, so how do I know how much profit they're making from me? Restaurant staff will get a tip if I believe the service warrants a tip. If they've done the bare minimum required of them, then no, I won't tip them. I've worked for tips before, and I always felt awkward about accepting them, and was never disappointed if people didn't leave one. Of course then you have places like Turtle Bay who I read about, who take a certain cut of their waiting staff's tips, and if the staff haven't made what the restaurant predicts after working out how much their tables spent, they have to give it them out of their pocket.
    Sarah

"Do not go gentle into the good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Quote Originally Posted by catface View Post
    I don't tip taxi drivers, they set the fare, so how do I know how much profit they're making from me?
    As a minor point, in most (all?) places in the UK, the taxi rates are set by the council or other body responsible for licensing taxis and mini-cabs.

I rarely tip taxi drivers, they usually earn pretty well tbh, not used one for a year now though since we got a car.

As for other professions doing a great job etc like nurses etc, they're not allowed to accept tips, just like a cashier etc, they simply cannot accept them as much as we'd like to give them. However I doubt an ICU nurse earns less or equal to NMW.

And as for self employment, please don't go assuming that we all make decent money, I do contract/freelance work which can and DOES mean I earn less than minimum wage quite frequently. I do not set the rates, I accept them or I sit and earn nothing. Same goes for people who do Avon etc after they have all the extras taken out of their money and they add up all the hours of effort they actually put in it's usually coming out at around £4-£5 p/hr, again they do not set rates. There are and always will be different types of self employment.

Same goes for people who work under others, it's all well and good to say but I paid them £20 for 1 hours work! They may have done research or preparation beforehand, then out of that £20 their employer takes £13 for their profit, business costs, rates, rent etc and you're back to NMW.

I've had someone tell me I charge "extortionate" amounts for the readings I do, this is despite multi-million pound companies charging 5-10 times as much as me. They seem to think it takes me half an hour or something rather than work done over 1-2 days and sometimes in consultation with a second reader.

That said, I do not expect a tip, never have never will, but I know where tips are due and if I can afford it will pay them. For those who won't/can't take tips you can donate to an associated charity (I did this to the organisation who looked after my dad when he had cancer) or give a gift (in the case of retail workers etc). Or not bother if you're so inclined
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Being told I didn't have to pay the £15 I was previously told I had to pay.
    Current: 9mm lobes, 5mm left tragus, 5mm left conch, tongue web, nasallang, left rook, left anti-tragus, right tragus, right daith, right snug, right forward helix, bridge, 5mm septum, three-point left helix spiral, double left eyebrow

Planning: ​ Vertical labret re-pierced

This was actually the other day, but. I'd been out shopping with some friends last week and we went into the local alternative clothing store. We began trying on corsets (because why not) and there was this absolutely gorgeous one; beige/gold tone, with a skeleton pattern, underbust but with a full back and straps. Very Steampunk. I've got no money but my parents still haven't bought me anything for my birthday (and have said they will) so I snapped a shot and sent it to mum, thought nothing of it.

Anyway, day before yesterday the friend I was out with invited me over for a catch up. Her and her sister had actually bought the corset for me as a belated birthday present! ^_^ I love it! I am so, so lucky to have the friends I have.
    Piercings
    3x Standard Lobe
    1x 4mm Lobe
    2x Helix
    1x Rook
    2x Navel

1x Nipple
    1x Faux Snug (1x Conch/1x Helix)
    1x Triangle
    1x Septum
    1x Daith

Tattoos
    Side Piece; 5.5 hours

Other
    1x Magnetic Implant

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    As for other professions doing a great job etc like nurses etc, they're not allowed to accept tips, just like a cashier etc, they simply cannot accept them as much as we'd like to give them. However I doubt an ICU nurse earns less or equal to NMW.
    I wasn't trying to imply that one should tip nurses etc, merely that effort does not equate to salary, at least currently. Otherwise nurses would be on £100k+, and hedge fund traders would be on NMW Plus, from what I heard when I was in hospital, the HDU nurses all complained that they were paid less than a supermarket manager.

And as for self employment, please don't go assuming that we all make decent money, I do contract/freelance work which can and DOES mean I earn less than minimum wage quite frequently. I do not set the rates, I accept them or I sit and earn nothing. Same goes for people who do Avon etc after they have all the extras taken out of their money and they add up all the hours of effort they actually put in it's usually coming out at around £4-£5 p/hr, again they do not set rates. There are and always will be different types of self employment.
    I am fully aware that not all self-employed earn large amounts. Indeed I believe the average is somewhere around £3k/yr*. But that was what I meant by "pseudo" self employment. Large businesses set the rates and the work (and often even the location), and use "self-employed" workers, rather than correctly employing them, often as a way of avoiding the NMW.

I've had someone tell me I charge "extortionate" amounts for the readings I do, this is despite multi-million pound companies charging 5-10 times as much as me. They seem to think it takes me half an hour or something rather than work done over 1-2 days and sometimes in consultation with a second reader.
    In that case it is true self-employment, and you are fully entitled to charge as much or as little as you like (as are your customers who are free to use you, or one of the multi-million pound companies). You also have the freedom to raise your prices if you need to (albeit with perhaps a reduction in customers - or perhaps not if they see your service as a "premium" one).

* [Edit] It looks as if for 2013, the average is about £10k/yr - I can't find anthing more recent
    Last edited by julian; 09-30-2015 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by julian View Post
    In that case it is true self-employment, and you are fully entitled to charge as much or as little as you like (as are your customers who are free to use you, or one of the multi-million pound companies). You also have the freedom to raise your prices if you need to (albeit with perhaps a reduction in customers - or perhaps not if they see your service as a "premium" one).

* [Edit] It looks as if for 2013, the average is about £10k/yr - I can't find anthing more recent
    If I raised my prices I would get pretty much zero work so not much freedom there. Not raised them for several years. I barely get any work now because people seem to blindly trust huge companies with no ethos over the small individual.

I still consider my freelance work to be true self employment. After all I decide what I want to do and if I want to earn less then NMW then I will. I think freelancing, especially in the UK is extremely misunderstood sadly. One day I can earn £3 p/hr another I can earn £30 p/hr, swings and roundabouts really.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best thing today: my tooth pendant coming
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

I got to have a nap =D
    Current:
    - Ear lobes x2 (right) and x1 (left)
    - Tunnel (left lobe) 10mm
    - Navel
    - Helix (right)
    - A half-rejected industrial (left)
    - Tragus (left)
    - Nostril (right)
    - Conch (right)
    - Nipple (left)

Pending: