Thread: Best thing that happened to you today?

I went and bought myself a new lip ring

The lump I found in my breast is only an infection.
    Current piercings

Nose - right nostril, septum (1.2)
    Left ear - 3 lobe (1.6) and tragus (1.2)
    Right ear - 1 lobe (6mm) and double inner conch (1.6) double helix (1.2) rook (1.2)
    VCH (1.6)

Retired

Upper navel x 2, Lower navel, Left nipple x 2, VCH, Right ear conch, Right ear helix, Right nostril, left lobe, right lobe

Had a pair of Shih Tzus in this morning, their owners rang us a few hours after picking them up to tell us it's the best groom they've ever had. No one ever does that, it was lovely ^_^

Also got £9.50 in tips which is a LOT for just an average day. Always helpful - That's like half my train fare for the week!
    I'm Sam Come & say hi!
    Twitter Facebook

Nipple Cross. Tongue. Conch. Nostrils. 10mm Lobes. Nipple.

Quote Originally Posted by MxSherwood89 View Post
    Had a pair of Shih Tzus in this morning, their owners rang us a few hours after picking them up to tell us it's the best groom they've ever had. No one ever does that, it was lovely ^_^

Also got £9.50 in tips which is a LOT for just an average day. Always helpful - That's like half my train fare for the week!
    £9.50 all day? That's shocking. I tip groomers £5 at the very least!! It's a bloody hard job.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    £9.50 all day? That's shocking. I tip groomers £5 at the very least!! It's a bloody hard job.
    It's shared between me & boss (so would've been £18 total) but yeah, £2.50 a day is probably 'normal', if I'm lucky!

There was a thread on another forum a few months ago asking if you tip (in general, not just groomers) and the majority said no because they were "already paying for the service", was pretty down-heartening to read.
    I'm Sam Come & say hi!
    Twitter Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by MxSherwood89 View Post
    It's shared between me & boss (so would've been £18 total) but yeah, £2.50 a day is probably 'normal', if I'm lucky!

There was a thread on another forum a few months ago asking if you tip (in general, not just groomers) and the majority said no because they were "already paying for the service", was pretty down-heartening to read.
    Hmm £18 isn't too bad but I mean, urgh. I bet people tip their hairdresser more and they have it easy compared to you guys!!
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

I'm afraid I am one of the people who in general don't tip. It seems to be a recent import - in the past only a *very* few places expected tipping (taxis, hotels/restaurants, the annual "christmas box" for postmen/dustmen etc etc) now many more places seem to rely on it. I assume this is related to the rise of low wages etc.

The answer isn't to expect a tip (the customer has in most cases already paid for the service), but to campaign for better salaries.

Oh no, I don't expect people to tip at all, I'm just really grateful when I do get something! I never used to tip until I started this job, it's only now I can see how an extra pound or two can make a big difference to some people.
    I'm Sam Come & say hi!
    Twitter Facebook

This isn't about expecting tips Julian. I don't expect them and I know Sam doesn't either.

Tbh I tip for good service. If someone does an ok job then I pay the rate. If someone excels then I tip them. Especially for minimum wage jobs or who are especially self employed as they can earn even less than nmw.

It shocks me when people will always tip their hairdresser in a swanky salon but a dog groomer who you're trusting an animal with gets nothing. What gets me is that she does a much harder job than those who get tipped nearly 100% of the time.
    Last edited by Boo; 09-30-2015 at 11:47 AM.

Ok, it sounds like we agree, tip for *exceptional* service, not the expected level. I'm not so sure though about the self-employed (which I am, BTW). If you are really self-employed (not the pseudo-sort so loved by large businesses), you set the rate you charge, and so this should be the amount you receive (after giving HMRC their cut, of course).

Unfortunately, hard work != reward in this life :-( I'm sure a nurse on an ICU ward works "harder" than a hedge fund trader - but no prizes for guessing which one gets more money.