Thread: Best thing that happened to you today?

  1. #13141
    Senior Member nightwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct-2007
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    16,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stuh84 View Post
    To be honest with Computing? Hardly. A lot of the people who work at my place got there on the back of computing degrees alone.

    It really depends on the field of study. If someone has a Computer Science degree, or an Information Systems/Networking degree, then they can walk into helpdesk jobs without a bat of an eyelid.

    People like me with Music Tech degrees? Took me a year of working in a call centre which would employ moss of the ground if it could to get anywhere.
    I do Games Design.

    Do you think I'm just going to be able to walk into sony?

    My computing dipolma didn't give me any job in computer, not even the SIMPLE task of building a pc. Not even remotely. Because guess what - no experince, just a piece of paper telling the other person that I'm supposed to be able to do what they need me to do in employment.

    Computer science, maybe, but really go and look at the people who leave university and then look at them 6 -12 months on I have a feeling alot of them won't be doing what they did at university. Its hard work to get into your dream job, the job you think about whilst at uni.

    (Even though I'm debating with you, I do however feel sympathy, working in a call centre with debt is my living hell, but its something I may be following you.)

  2. #13142
    Senior Member stuh84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul-2009
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Posts
    798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf View Post
    I do Games Design.

    Do you think I'm just going to be able to walk into sony?

    My computing dipolma didn't give me any job in computer, not even the SIMPLE task of building a pc. Not even remotely. Because guess what - no experince, just a piece of paper telling the other person that I'm supposed to be able to do what they need me to do in employment.

    Computer science, maybe, but really go and look at the people who leave university and then look at them 6 -12 months on I have a feeling alot of them won't be doing what they did at university. Its hard work to get into your dream job, the job you think about whilst at uni.

    (Even though I'm debating with you, I do however feel sympathy, working in a call centre with debt is my living hell, but its something I may be following you.)
    I'm not saying every degree but mine means you'll get a job, but some degrees do have the ability to get you into a place quite easily.

    Also, a diploma is different from a degree, I have never seen a place request a diploma, but many places after a degree.

    I work with a lot of people who have Computing degrees (Software Engineering, Computer Sciences, etc), and some of them had barely any "real world" experience with it, and they are working their way up the system. I work in an IT place so its not as if they are working in a different place from their degree.
    Stuuuuu

    Progressively walking through life. In 13/16 following by 6/8.

    Weird pierced hairy metal head from Sheffield who likes to make lots of noise.

    Piercings
    Tongue, Labret, PA

    Want
    Nipples, tattoos (need help with working out what to get)

    Facebook

    http://www.workingfrommyshed.co.uk - My gaming blog

    http://wfms.hostingdelivered.com/viewforum.php?f=3 - Console LAN

    Forging the quest to bring long hair to the world

  3. #13143
    Senior Member nightwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct-2007
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    16,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stuh84 View Post
    I'm not saying every degree but mine means you'll get a job, but some degrees do have the ability to get you into a place quite easily.

    Also, a diploma is different from a degree, I have never seen a place request a diploma, but many places after a degree.

    I work with a lot of people who have Computing degrees (Software Engineering, Computer Sciences, etc), and some of them had barely any "real world" experience with it, and they are working their way up the system. I work in an IT place so its not as if they are working in a different place from their degree.
    I suppose some courses do, but really compared to the majority of courses it seems unfair to even bother with uni. Its also a reason why I'm taking a placement year, to at least get my foot under the door, so I'm not stuck in a call centre in three years.

    Yes dipolmas are different, but the qualification to be an IT practioneer is there and really I should be able to get the job, after a while I gave up and uni became a much better option.

    Anyway, shall we move this on back to the best thing that happened to you today? I hope chatting to me about uni degrees wasn't it!

  4. #13144
    Professional Piercer Just_vix81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct-2008
    Location
    South East London
    Posts
    6,177

    Default

    poking holes in people
    Piercings
    Left ear:12 including scaffold,tragus,conch x 3 & 14mm lobes
    Right ear:12 including rook,conch x 3 & 14mm lobes
    Eyebrow
    Right nostril: x 3
    Left nostril: x 3
    Vch
    Piercer and Tattooist

  5. #13145
    Senior Member stuh84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul-2009
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Posts
    798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf View Post
    Yes dipolmas are different, but the qualification to be an IT practioneer is there and really I should be able to get the job, after a while I gave up and uni became a much better option.
    The one thing I'll say about that is you are trying to get past HR departments in most places, not the people who do the job themselves. If you don't name drop certain qualifications/experience or whatever that they are used to seeing, you may as well write on the CV you are Hitler. If you can name drop the right stuff (which I can now, due to what I've learnt, and the qualifications I've been working towards whilst working), then you can get to someone who knows what they are doing. It's the same for any place, sometimes if you talk the talk, you have more chance than someone more qualified and better able.

    BUT, back to the thread, the best thing that happened to me today? Spending over 4000 pounds. What on? Deposit for the house

    I need a date to move in....and nothing else
    Stuuuuu

    Progressively walking through life. In 13/16 following by 6/8.

    Weird pierced hairy metal head from Sheffield who likes to make lots of noise.

    Piercings
    Tongue, Labret, PA

    Want
    Nipples, tattoos (need help with working out what to get)

    Facebook

    http://www.workingfrommyshed.co.uk - My gaming blog

    http://wfms.hostingdelivered.com/viewforum.php?f=3 - Console LAN

    Forging the quest to bring long hair to the world

  6. #13146
    Senior Member Dudette1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct-2006
    Location
    Romford
    Posts
    3,274

    Default

    The Jamaican FEAST I just made for myself and my flatmate. Pretty darn proud of myself and we are super duper stuffed to the max now!
    Alex


    Piercings: Ears x 7 various, Tongue, Septum, Navel, Inverse Navel, VCH, Microdermal on wrist, 2 Microdermals on upper back


    Tattoos: Dragon on back, Lily on wrist, Swallow on foot.

  7. #13147
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov-2007
    Location
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Posts
    2,998

    Default

    Jack Daniels

  8. #13148
    Senior Member Flo[ProActiv]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec-2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    11,796

    Default

    Going to sleep should be pretty good.
    Hopefully.
    Right ear: 3x lobe [1x 8mm], rook.
    Left ear: 2x lobe [1x 8mm], auricle, tragus, conch
    Other: Septum, nipples

    I am Flo, the short and buttery one

    I want Pat's babies

    No one misses the quiet kid...

  9. #13149
    Senior Member Midnight87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug-2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,713

    Default

    put the money my dad gave me into the bank so i can finally pay of most of my debts
    Dream things that never were, and say why not?

    -Christine-
    www.meetashlyn.wordpress.com
    http://www.facebook.com/christine.ong87
    Have:

    Piercings: 2 on each lobe, helix (left), 4 microdermals on chest
    Tattoo: tattoo of my whippet, Ashlyn on my forearm

    Want:
    Piercings:
    microdermals (navel area and 1 more on chest), tragus, conch, daith, helix, nostril, stretched lobes

    Tattoos: full back piece design that I've had for a while

  10. #13150
    Senior Member Steph>>Manchestarrr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec-2008
    Location
    Manchester... Rusholme/Oldham
    Posts
    1,977

    Default

    I worked out how to make potato cake yesterday with no recipie or anything and today, i had some for my breakfast and they are fitt!
    Current:
    lobes, Conch
    Retired: Navel, 5mm lobes, rook
    Yes please: tongue web, surface tragus septum and nipple

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •