Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New White Gold Body Jewellery

White gold just needs ot be re-plated with rhodium every 3 or 4 years, if its worn often, as the shininess fades - but thats what I was told for rings and bracelets, which get knocked around a lot more than any of this would.

The rhodium just makes it look as good as platinum does, without the cost.
    [Rivet]
    Lobes, Helix (left), Eyebrow (best.choice.ever)
    Possibilities: Tragus (right), Shamrock tattoo
    CURRENTLY SPORTING A DARK RED SATINBACK CREPE STRAITJACKET WITH "RIVET" IN RIVETS IN A SOUTHERN CROSS SHAPE BY DESIGNER DEBBIE

Quote Originally Posted by Rivet View Post
    White gold just needs ot be re-plated with rhodium every 3 or 4 years, if its worn often, as the shininess fades - but thats what I was told for rings and bracelets, which get knocked around a lot more than any of this would.

The rhodium just makes it look as good as platinum does, without the cost.

So it's perfectly safe to wear, even if the plating wears off?

(I think this is what the jeweller was on about)

Hi,if u have a collection of designs of gold or white gold jewelry than please let me also share it with you ,i am really struggling hard to find them if you contain any fact about it do response ,it will be grazefull and thanks in advance .

Quote Originally Posted by Peta View Post
    So it's perfectly safe to wear, even if the plating wears off?

(I think this is what the jeweller was on about)

I'm not entirely sure, but I'm assuming that white gold actually IS a form of gold, yes? In which case it should be as safe to wear in 100% healed piercings as yellow gold is.

I could be wrong, but it shouldn't be too hard to find out..

Wikipedia says

"White gold is an alloy of gold and at least one white metal, usually nickel or palladium. Like yellow gold, the purity of white gold is given in carats (karats).

White gold's properties vary depending on the metals and proportions used. As a result, white gold alloys can be used for different purposes; while a nickel alloy is hard and strong, and therefore good for rings and pins, gold-palladium alloys are soft, pliable and good for white gold gemstone settings."

"About one person in eight has a mild allergic reaction to the nickel in some white gold alloys when worn over long periods of time. A typical reaction is a minor skin rash. White gold alloys made without nickel are less likely to be allergenic."

So you'd be looking for a higher-quality for it not to contain nickel, if you are worried about its content. Although under Wiki's Gold section under "jewellery" it says that nickel-content has been outlawed in Europe.

"...most will be coated with a very thin layer of rhodium...however the rhodium may wear off over time"

I hope that was of help to you. It seems that rhodium or not, nickel can be a risk, and that it is the only risk when wearing white gold.

Also, for those who are interested, here are some bits and pieces:

"Rose gold is a gold and copper alloy widely used for specialized jewelry due to its reddish color... The higher the copper content, the stronger the red coloration. A common alloy for rose gold is three-quarters gold and one-quarter copper by mass (i.e. 18Kt)... For 18 karat rose gold, typically about 4% silver is added to the 75% gold and 21% copper to give a rose color."

"Blue gold can be made by alloying with iron and purple gold can be made by alloying with aluminium, although rarely done except in specialized jewelry. Blue gold is more brittle and therefore more difficult to work with when making jewelry. Fourteen and eighteen carat gold alloys with silver alone appear greenish-yellow and are referred to as green gold."
    [Rivet]
    Lobes, Helix (left), Eyebrow (best.choice.ever)
    Possibilities: Tragus (right), Shamrock tattoo
    CURRENTLY SPORTING A DARK RED SATINBACK CREPE STRAITJACKET WITH "RIVET" IN RIVETS IN A SOUTHERN CROSS SHAPE BY DESIGNER DEBBIE

any chance of doing other white gold barbells or CBB?
    Last edited by Peta; 08-24-2008 at 06:41 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234