Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Horse riding

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Horse riding

I know a few people on here horse ride.

I was just wondering if anyone does competitions, and if they do, what sort of competitions (i.e. hunter, 3 day etc).

Or maybe you just ride for pleasure, tell us about what you like to do, the highest you have done show jumping or something.

I used to ride a lot and do showjumping. Expensive hobby though.
    I worked at a show jumping yard not long ago. Mia Korenika's. Last years comic relief did Only Fools On Horses, and she was a trainer in that. I worked really hard for nothing much so I stopped.

I used to own horses, and I've worked on livery yards and on an event yard. Did horse management at college, until I left due to illness and started at the event yard. Personally I'm more into dressage. Sold my last horse Kaifoon [lovely dark bay ex racehorse] about 4-5yrs ago and I really miss him. Before him I loaned a 12hh welsh mountain mare and then a 3/4 arab gelding. Not had much contact with horses although I decided to take up lessons again a few months ago. My car died recently though, so I've had to put it on hold.

Hi my daughter used to own ex racehorse kaifoon and he was sold to a young girl who kept him at a livery yard near OAKLEY CHURCH. sORRY COMPUTER PLAYING UP. i WONDER IF YOU ARE TAMSIN AND WOULD LOVE TO HEAR WHERE KAIFOON WENT TO AND ANY NEWS GOOD OR BAD. HE WAS THE KINDEST HORSE TO LOOK AFTER AND i WAS DEVASTATED WHEN HE WAS SOLD. HE MUST BE ABOUT 22YEARS OLD NOW, SADLY HIS STABLE MATE PASSED AWAY AGED AROUND 29 YEARS. hOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON . BEST WISHES

Well, ive had 4 horses in the past. Used to do pony club and small events on my first two (12.2hh Welsh gielding, 5yrs old and 14.1 Highland Mare, 10yrs old)
    My third horse suffered from slight arthiritis so couldnt do much in terms of competitions on her but i would jump about 3' on her at home (16.3 ThroughbredxIrish Draught, 14yrs)
    My last horse I done the most on (16.2 HanovarianxThroughbred) we competed locally at about 3'3, in all 3 disciplines (x-country, show jumping and dressage) and i never took her away without being placed =D. Also done some working hunter classes on her too. She was a bit too hyper for that tho and always got marked down for being too 'bouncy!' The biggest fence i jumped on her was 120cm..i was terrified!
    I really miss not having horses now =(
    Current - 4x lobes, 2xtragus, conch, rook, & labret
    Retired - 2x lobes, tragus & anti-tragus, septum
    Ink - Emily the strange & 3 cats on my back and ankle

i've ridden for a few years. i live nextdoor to the stables and can go round when i want so i never felt the need for my own horse. i'm not really into the competition side, i just do it for fun. jumped 3ft ish. i'm a laid back horse lover
    i'm Sarah
    i have... septum! ~ three lobes at 5mm, one at 6mm ~ snug ~ double inner conch ~ double right side lip
    nostril is no more!
    medusa please.
    myspace

I currently 4 way lease a beautiful TB liver chestnut gelding called Marco. I havr to give him up in a week or so for school, but I have already found my next horse lease!

With Marco, I think we did a total of 8 small competitions (1 day eventing, Hunter, dressage and 1 showjumping). In the showjumping I was placed 2nd, in the 2 dressage only shows, I was placed 1st and 3rd, in the 3 hunter shows I was placed 1st in 2 and 4th in one (no idea what happened there, just had better competition I suppose) and in the 2 1 day events I have done (that's a 3 day event just squished into 1 day) I came 2nd and 3rd. So we have done pretty well.

The horse that i am currently looking at to lease is a horse called Galaxy (yeah, not really original) a dark bay TBXHanoverian gelding at a whopping 17.3hh. I'm going for a 'test ride' on the 17th September.

ThroughbredxHanoverain FTW!!!

But at 17.3 for me thats just too big. I used to ride a 17.2 and it was just impossible to get him gathered up and get him into a nice outline, the back and front went at different times! And he was a bugger to stop!

Ive been helping to school a 14.2 pure bred Halflinger through the summer (when i go home) and he is sooo sweet! Not my usual cup of tea when it comes to breeds but he is just so well mannered compared to most 4 year olds! However bend just doesnt seem to work well with him!

Well Marco who I am leaving, is 16.3hh, and I have always had big horses. When I worked at the stables, I had to exercise Stan, who was 17.2hh, and I could control him easily. And last summer I leased a horse called Iepo and he was 17.1hh/17.2hh. So I'm used to my big geldings!

I get what you mean about the odd rhythm, I didn't get it to much with Iepo or Marco, but Stan didn't want to work at the same time, his trot was often so bumpy because he wasn't moving in rhythm, that I would be bounced right out of the saddle and stirrups. I just pulled him on a very short rein and he seemed to get more in time with himself.

You must admit, big horses have the most BEAUTIFUL extended trot.

Halflingers, I hate those ponies, sorry, but I have seen 4 kids (all under 10) thrown in my life, what were they all riding? Halflingers. They are just too tempremental a breed (from what I've seen) to be used at a riding school. They are very b**chy horses.

Aaahhh....nah i swear this halflinger is the most genuine and honest horse i ever known. He has a hell of a lot of strength in him but doesnt use it to his own advantage, hes just adorable!! But his little 13hh halflinger friend is a little shi*te and is very tempremental! I think we have been lucky with the big guy tho! =D

My last horse philly had the most amazing extended trot in the world, felt like you were flying on her!!

Do you have any pics of your horses?

Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast