Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Horse riding

Just outta interest Si, how much do you pay to loan a horse where your from? And how much use do you get?
    I dont think i could share a horse...i like to ride 6 days a week and give them one day off!
    Current - 4x lobes, 2xtragus, conch, rook, & labret
    Retired - 2x lobes, tragus & anti-tragus, septum
    Ink - Emily the strange & 3 cats on my back and ankle

With my current horse loan it's 3 way, so we each get 10 days out of a month (which we pick between us) and we get an hour in the indoor or outdoor school each, and an hour on the cross country set a week. I pay 20 a week for use of the horse and tack, then 15 a week to the livery yard. It's pretty good, it would be way more with Marco (he is a local 3 day champion) but luckily my mum knows the owner really well.

Well, out of a week, he is usually ridden about 4 or 5 days, somedays that are booked for me I can't make, and the same with the other two people, so he does get time off.

So its like 35 a week...do you have to pay for food, shoeing etc on top of that?
    I have no idea what prices are like these days, i was really lucky in that where i kept Philly i only had to pay 20 a week for the stable (including straw and hay) and i got full access to the school when ever i wanted it. But that was only cos i had worked at the yard for like 12 years! My field livery was 15 a week, went up to 18 in the winter when there was hay provided.

Food comes in the 15 from the livery yard. As does the bedding.
    When it's time to get him shoed, we just split the bill 3 ways, if he needs the vet or the dentist, we do the same.

At the new stables, where I should be loaning Galaxy, I worked there for about a year and a half, when I had Iepo there. So that's why they are giving me first refusal on Galaxy. Can't wait.

Cool...i guess thats a relief on B/S and Vet bills that you can split it 3 ways-they are always killer costs! Philly went through shoes like no other, basically had to get a new set on her every 4 weeks =O

Marco wasn't changed that often, I dunno, every 7/8/9 weeks or so, depending on the season and injury and stuff obviously. He had aluminium ones, the really lightweight ones, usually used for show jumpers, but he just loved them to pieces!

Speaking of shoes, what's your opinion in keeping horses barefoot all year round?
    I would love to be able to do it with a horse, giving it that little bit of extra freedom.

I really like giving horses freedom, like if we are just going for a short hack, I will use a bareback pad and not a saddle.

Most of the ponies at the yard i work at are barefoot, i think sometimes is just not necessary to put shoes on them. Most of them are native breeds and they dont do a lot of road work etc, mainly just in fields or the school. But i think if they are doing a lot of road work/eventing etc its only fair to put shoes on them or it will just lead to injury. I tried to have my first pony on just front shoes but he ended up continually gettin a poisoned hind rear foot...was gross black puss came outta it and it stunk!!!
    So yeah-i basically think it depends on the breeding and the work load that the horse is involved in.

As for riding bareback..i used to do it all the time! Not on Philly tho cos she had a cold back and had a boney spine! Ive got pictures on me somewhere jumping bout 2'6 bareback...i would never do that now tho!!!

of our 4, only one is shod, because she is ridden 3 times a week on roads, so needs the extra protection.
    Mo doesnt need shoes, because her feet are like iron, also she doesnt get worked much (or at all as of late) because of her age (18) and the added problems of ringbone :(
    I'm done, I'm gone. There is nothing here for me anymore.

Yeh my highland had feet of iron too-but i still shod her when i started to do pony club and x-country on her (albeit 2' fences!) But a set of shoes lasted forever on her, it was great!