Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Horse riding

woah i only found this thread too xD
    Since my parents have always owned horses i've grown up around them,
    I used to always be out riding and doing various competitions..
    used to have my own Appaloosa mare called May, sadly i lost interest and she was sold.
    Would love to get back into it again though
    I'm Natasha.

Piercings:
    Helix
    Rook
    Tragus
    Tongue
    Lobes x4
    Inverse Navel
    Lip (right side)

i use to ride horses >< when i was younger before my grandparents sold up the farm . damn i miss it .

and my old job rocked delivering animal feeds to horsie people etc . alot of the chicks + older wommen are hot hot hot lol
    PA stretched to 3.2 , flesh tunnel 14mm, nipple ( pierecd as a cross now removed thanks to the hospital)

Quote Originally Posted by SilentSpring View Post
    I'd say lots of walking to begin with Hacking, if you can-- you can add in short intervals of trot, and then increase the length of your trotting over time to help get her back into shape. When she's ready, introduce intervals of canter.

I say this because I'd assume she's fairly out of shape after a year in the field, especially with a bit of added summer weight. I guess it all depends how fit she is! Obviously, take it slower if she's very out of shape, and you can go a bit faster if she's always been fit and athletic.

I'm also not sure how difficult she is when you say 'hard to ride'...so of course this could play a part in what you're able to do with her

Good luck!
    Thankyou
    I need need NEED to practice slowly, I end up rushing into things which I shouldn't do. What I meant by she is incredibly hard to ride is she is hard to control and keep at a steady pace, basically she does what she wants.

All that shines,
    Turns to rust.
    All that stands, in time
    Turns to dust.

If she is really forward and strong, I recommend alot of lateral work in walk, which would also be useful if she's not as fit as she was.
    I know you'll know this, and I don't mean to sound patronising or anything, but with forward horses, it's really good to always ask for bend and ask them to do lots so they listen and keep them occupied so they don't just run out.
    And there's always half haults.
    Also, does she go more forward when you pull on the reins? If so give her a bit more rein (obviously not too much) and sit deep when she goes off on one.
    Sorry again if you've tried all of that, but I just thought I'd say
    How tall is she?
    19 above the neck
    3 below the neck
    2 microdermals

Aw all your horses are gorgeous! i want one :-[ only i dont have the right terrain to own one (N)

Quote Originally Posted by milney View Post
    If she is really forward and strong, I recommend alot of lateral work in walk, which would also be useful if she's not as fit as she was.
    I know you'll know this, and I don't mean to sound patronising or anything, but with forward horses, it's really good to always ask for bend and ask them to do lots so they listen and keep them occupied so they don't just run out.
    And there's always half haults.
    Also, does she go more forward when you pull on the reins? If so give her a bit more rein (obviously not too much) and sit deep when she goes off on one.
    Sorry again if you've tried all of that, but I just thought I'd say
    How tall is she?
    Thanks Milney, I have tried a lot of that but it's just persevering which is the hard part hehe, she's 14.2 ish

All that shines,
    Turns to rust.
    All that stands, in time
    Turns to dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Neurocancer View Post
    Thanks Milney, I have tried a lot of that but it's just persevering which is the hard part hehe, she's 14.2 ish
    No probs, I understand how frustrating it is. 14.2 is a lovely size. If I lived near you, I'd ask for a shot!
    Good luck with her though, all the hard work will pay off I'm sure.
    19 above the neck
    3 below the neck
    2 microdermals

I want a horsey!

I used to ride but after moving to Bristol for uni it proved too expensive since my earnt money was going on actual real stuff rather than just me...boo...Should be able to start again when I'm earning again and have finished uni. I used to do dressage rather than jumping or cross country...my proudest moment is standing on my head on the back of a horse. My favourite horses to ride are probably cobs, they're so big that they force my leg muscles into being more springy etc but because I'm so tall and large built I can still control them quite well and they're quite docile normally but have a lot of power behind them. When I start up again I probably want to do cross country.
    Call me Genni...

"Everyone deserves the chance to fly"

Keeper of the magical hunting bees with Trivium and Miharu

*proudly wears her dictionary straight-jacket*

hells monkey tbh...
    you are a big gay boy

*Disclaimer: When I argue unless I quote sources it is all my opinion. My way of writing is because I do creative writing and you can't sound uncertain.*

I used to be phobic of horses but overcome my fear when my best friend got a horse.

She was loaning a gorrrgeous dark bay welsh cob who was about 14.3hh and I fell in love with him! Plucked up the courage to ride, was led for a while but finally walked alone, he was very fresh one day and had a little bronc around so I lost a lot of confidence. I managed to get back on him and trot a little bit whilst on a lunge line.
    He went back to his owner sadly, but I did ride again! A little grey gelding who was an angry old man.

I'd ride again. Maybe....
    Labret piercing - 16/04/09

I finally got on a horse yesterday (two years after my accident), and I'm going to start competing dressage
    current:
    lobes x1
    navel

wants:
    tragus
    lobes x2
    rook
    nose
    navel

retired:
    left helix