Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts

Haha
    Yeah i guessed i just have to throw myself into it, i'm going to see if there's a cheap mat of somesort i can pick up from argos today so i have some extra practise, expecially as my muscles are still reaaally aching!
    And i just logged onto my email and Sensei sent me a really positive email which made me feel a lot more positive i just find it amazing how lovely they all are, i'm not used to it
    I'll give another update tomorrow as i'll be too knackered after my lesson finishes tonight at 9:30, and i have college tomorrow. hopefully my muscles will loosen up so i'm not saying 'ow' everytime i get up/sit down/ go up/down stairs

Quote Originally Posted by DreadfulFaeryFalls View Post
    i really really want to find a Krav Maga class down here - now that is a useful martial art.
    My brother wants to do that and keeps asking me if I want to join...But I'm more interested in MMA to be honest. You reckon the two would be ok to learn together anyone?
    Current Ink :
    'Luctor Et Emergo'
    Wrapping around top of right forearm

Punisher Skull conversion
    Left Tricep

Future Ink :

'Ik Zal Handhaven'
    Wrapping around top of left forearm

Jagerbombs FTW!

Krav Maga sort of is MMA, but it's not the same as what you see in the UFC. It's for self defence rather than sport, and therefore you're going to learn techniques to incapacitate and possibly kill, rather than the best way to apply an armbar from side control, but Krav Maga includes all sorts of strikes, grappling techniques and takedowns. If you want to do it for the sport, take MMA. If you're interested in self defence, go with Krav Maga. Or you could do both and see which you prefer!

There's no real problem with taking both, but you might find it a bit much starting both at the same time. I guess the best advice I can give is to try them both and see how it goes.

Anyone got any tips to help me face the fear and learn how to do rolls? I really wanna practise at home, but is carpet okay?
    First, I agree with everything Archon said to you ^_^b

Don't worry about learning to tumble from a standing position yet - you should practice from crouching for at least a week before you do. I assume you're being tought zempo kaiten ukemi (the standard forward shoudler tumble) first, and the roll itself is performed exactly the same way from both positions. So, learn and remember which part of your arm to land on to start the roll and make sure you're confident that you can roll on it safely (if you throw yourself onto it from a standing position and land badly you could really damage something!). I can't go into to much detail as I don't want my technique to be conflicting with what you're being tought, but the underlying mechanics are the same.

There are basically four stages to the tumble to remember (although they must still be practiced as a single movement) - first push with your legs, then throw your weight forwards, put your arm down to roll over and tuck your legs and body in. The tucking is very important - it's what makes the roll 'work' and if you don't tuck properly you'll just fall over to the side instead. As long as you learn how to start the roll well then the rest will take care of itself :o)
    (although I keep stating "roll over your arm", remember that you're actually rolling over your shoulder but start off from rolling over your hand/wrist/forearm)

I'd say that you definately should be practicing at home as well (daily if you can, just 10-20 or so repetitions at first)^^ You don't need any fancy mats or whatever, just a duvet will do for now and like Archon says, I strongly recommend avoiding carpets for the obvious reason ;o) Don't get too adventurous; practice simply what you've been shown and don't try anything you haven't been instructed in unless you're certain you can do it safely. After a good few months of practice you'll find your overall understanding of the art will be good enough for you to start experimenting with new things. If you're nervous of starting a tumble you can make it a bit easier by starting it off with one hand already on the floor and pushing yourself over it.

The most essential thing I'd advise is for you to be doing is stretching every day to increase suppleness for at least 20+ minutes at a time. Work on the whole body and give good attention to your knees and ankles (though all joints are important). Don't worry about trying to increase flexibility as it takes a long time to increase noticably and you won't be needing it so much.
    As for pain, it'll be there a little while longer ;o) Dull, achey pain is good as it's a sign of your body starting to improve. Sharp, stabby pain isn't good and means you're doing something wrong. If you start to get pains in your shoulder it means you aren't tumbling fast enough and that the shoulder's taking too much weight each time you roll.

When I was young I was literally terrified of rolling around, but it disappeared very soon after I started practicing ukemi^^ Good luck to ye :o)

I want to start Akido or Kendo in the new term- a week or two from now- but I`m chicken a bit............... lol don't want to go alone, or to get another piercing accidentally "removed"
    Entre rêve et réalité, entre terre et lune, il y a ne petite chanson que je chante pour toi; Parmis les étoiles; parmis les nuages, il y a ton âme qui rêve de moi......

Quote Originally Posted by archon_113 View Post
    Krav Maga sort of is MMA, but it's not the same as what you see in the UFC. It's for self defence rather than sport, and therefore you're going to learn techniques to incapacitate and possibly kill, rather than the best way to apply an armbar from side control, but Krav Maga includes all sorts of strikes, grappling techniques and takedowns. If you want to do it for the sport, take MMA. If you're interested in self defence, go with Krav Maga. Or you could do both and see which you prefer!

There's no real problem with taking both, but you might find it a bit much starting both at the same time. I guess the best advice I can give is to try them both and see how it goes.
    Cheers Archon...sound advice once again. The MMA was mainly for overall fitness and conditioning, Krav Maga is something I feel I should learn due to the countless prats that live in the area. I think I'll start with the Krav Maga and then move to MMA when I feel ready.
    Current Ink :
    'Luctor Et Emergo'
    Wrapping around top of right forearm

Punisher Skull conversion
    Left Tricep

Future Ink :

'Ik Zal Handhaven'
    Wrapping around top of left forearm

Jagerbombs FTW!

I have a really big crush on Jet Li.... Does that count for anything....?

Quote Originally Posted by MadameMarlboro View Post
    I want to start Akido or Kendo in the new term- a week or two from now- but I`m chicken a bit............... lol don't want to go alone, or to get another piercing accidentally "removed"
    Do Kendo - the armour they wear looks so cool

Quote Originally Posted by seb_rgv View Post
    Cheers Archon...sound advice once again. The MMA was mainly for overall fitness and conditioning, Krav Maga is something I feel I should learn due to the countless prats that live in the area. I think I'll start with the Krav Maga and then move to MMA when I feel ready.
    To be honest I think MMA will give you some pretty decent self-defence skills on its own, and will probably be better for fitness as well. Krav Maga was designed to be used by the Israeli military, and as such is intended to kill people. This makes it somewhat difficult to apply in a self defence situation. I'd really like to try Krav Maga some time, but I wouldn't take it as my main art because learning how to kill people isn't the reason I learn martial arts.

Neon, thanks so much for going into such detail for a simpleton like me

Last night was good, i still got a bit annoyed with myself for being a wuss as far as rolling is concerned, but soon we moved onto different moves and i really enjoyed it.
    One of the other girls there (i say girl, she must be in her mid to late 20's) took me under her wing a bit and she stayed behind after class to help me roll! I'm still swerving to the side a bit, and i banged my shoulder once or twice, but i've got the hang of floor rolling *pretty much*.
    Funny you should say about the stretching thing, after only two sessions i'm feeling so much more energetic and did some stretches when i got back from college a little while ago go me.
    Also the duvet is a really good idea.
    The girl helping me said that to get over the fear, i should do some handstands, so tonight i'm going to see if i can get my mum to give me a hand (don't worry, i used to be able to do them and i'll warm up first) and see if she can hold me up, then help me down and over!
    Since starting i just feel so much more positive.. and i have something to look forward to. To be honest, i don't want to wait until monday for my next session, i want another one a.s.a.p!!

MadameMarlboro, don't be scared! I went alone and i've found it easier as i'm not comparing to any other beginner as i'm the only one i'm loving aikido already, i feel a lot healthier after 2 sessions, and as i stated up there ^ i have something to look forward to, with a new group of people.

Ahhh, happy happy happy

I'm glad it's going better for you now See, I said you'd soon be wondering why you were so worried to start with! That's cool that one of the other students stayed behind at the end to help you, it sounds like you've been lucky enough to find a class with some really great people.

You should think yourself lucky you have another class on monday.......I haven't trained since the end of june and there's still over 3 weeks left until term/training starts again