Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts

Quote Originally Posted by archon_113 View Post
    Correction: you cannot go wrong with decent mma training
    Typos, finger slip, ain't it fun when people point out your mistakes?
    Last edited by Pinks; 09-01-2007 at 11:06 AM.
    Love Pinks xXx
    Body Piercing Mummy to 4!

Saskia Alice, born 3rd March 2008
    Current:1xLip,4xtounge,1xmadonna,4xnavel,2xeyebrow ,1x nostril, 1x nipple,1x tragus,1xanit-tragus,1xscaffold,1xorbital scaffold,1x conch,5xhelix,5xlobe,4xauricule1xhood,1xwebbing,2x streched lobes,7mm,1xSeptum,2xsnakebites
    Skin diver wrist
    Retired 6x helix,6x lobe,1x nostril,1x nipple

PM me for: Autoclaving service
    http://piercedpinks.webs.com/

but you could cut comeone else if they catch a finger/toe on any of your piercings.
    Correction: Someone
    Love Pinks xXx
    Body Piercing Mummy to 4!

Saskia Alice, born 3rd March 2008
    Current:1xLip,4xtounge,1xmadonna,4xnavel,2xeyebrow ,1x nostril, 1x nipple,1x tragus,1xanit-tragus,1xscaffold,1xorbital scaffold,1x conch,5xhelix,5xlobe,4xauricule1xhood,1xwebbing,2x streched lobes,7mm,1xSeptum,2xsnakebites
    Skin diver wrist
    Retired 6x helix,6x lobe,1x nostril,1x nipple

PM me for: Autoclaving service
    http://piercedpinks.webs.com/

ive been getting taught jeet kune do since i was 5 which is basically every martial art put into one =]

i didnt start getting graded till i was 13 though, my dad's a 6th dan black belt and teaches martial arts in our town and also teaches self defense classes at my school =D

im a yellow belt but gave up the lessons so now just learn with my dad when we're out together and shtoof

ive been learning some stick fighting which is really funy, karate which i didnt really like, the punching stances seem bloody ridiculous to me, what protection is having ur fists at ur sides gonna do? ooh its protecting my sides..where s the place people tend to aim for when they fight? face and stomach...ugh rant over lol...kick boxing is great as is boxing, both of those areas teach you to keep ur hands up at ur face and crouch over slightly to protect ur stomach =]

me pa's also come 2nd in the world stick fighting championships, and is great friends with Grand Master Richard Bustillo, Grand Master Cacoy Canete and Teacher Danny Guba, i've met all 3 of these men and the oldest is around 86 now, thats cacoy and he has the agility and strength of a 15 year old..its amazing!!

sorry essay over haha as you can tell i love my dad quite a bit lol hence why i went on abiout him so much
    So far:
    - Labret - Snakebites - Left Lobe 10mm - Right Lobe 10mm - Tongue -

Want:
    - both tragus - left ear oribital - both 2nd ear lobe 6mm - right double helix - left industrial - Left Scaffold - Hip Surface - both conch - right daith - Frenulum - both surface tragus - left rook - right double rook - both anti tragus -

R.I.P
    - Anti-Eyebrow - Left Nostril - Scaffold - Navel :(

Ink
    Rebirth half sleeve (outline only)
    The Journey Of a Thousand Miles Begins With a Single Step (shoulder)

I'd be surprised if they let you keep any of your jewellery in. The thing is it's not just dangerous to you if anything gets ripped out, but you could cut comeone else if they catch a finger/toe on any of your piercings.
    Yeah, true. I did tell the guy and he'll see when i turn up, and we'll see how it goes from there.. To be clearer i'm taking out all my lobes apart from the 15mm, and when i get to 16mm i can wear silicone anyway. Cartilidge i'm wearing as small jewellery as possible and lip i'm wearing one of the tiny push fit bioplast retainers off here.
    Unfortunately my piercings all close up really quickly, especially cartiliedge that's why i'm trying to do as much as i can to work a way around taking most out.
    Thanks though!

Quote Originally Posted by Pierced Pinkslugcat View Post
    Typos, finger slip, ain't it fun when people point out your mistakes?
    I wasn't trying to correct a typo

I was pointing out that, whereas you said you can't go wrong with MMA, there are a fair few dodgy MMA instructors out there who won't really teach you anything worthwhile, so it's important to make sure you're getting decent training.

So i had my first lesson of Aikido last night, and i can hardly move this morning

I was the youngest there of a group of around 10-12 not including the Sensei. Sensei himself was a really nice guy, although i found it amusing that he was scottish teaching a japanese martial art, but that's my warped humour coming through..
    It was a two hour lesson which i found quite heavy going, and with most things it's a lot more dificult than it looks. One of the things you need to learn first is how to do a roll not to injure yourself..me being a wimp, i guess i was too scared/nervous to do it as i'm not used to it. I haven't rolled around on the floor in a good few years
    It's also a lot more..i dunno.. spiritial? than i thought it'd be. Every time you enter or leave the dojo (mat..things) you have to bow to O-Sensei and stuff like that. It's pretty intense overall.

So yeah, apart from getting annoyed at myself it was good, yeah. I learnt a few moves and promtly forgot them, and i felt quite embarrassed at times because they were all so graceful and i was fumbling all over the place, but none of them were judemental and they were all really nice.
    Next lesson is tomorrow, another 2 hours if i can move by then
    For the moment i have to hobble up and down the stairs

Anyone got any tips to help me face the fear and learn how to do rolls? I really wanna practise at home, but is carpet okay?

I'll reply in more detail when I've got a bit more time (i.e. in a few hours or so), but I'm glad you enjoyed it

Ok now I'm ready

You'll get used to the intensity of the training sessions after a while. 2 hours seemed like a hell of a long time to me at first too! So did you not do the rolling or did you just find it difficult? As an art that involves a lot of throws and takedowns, it's really important to be able to break your fall properly in aikido. Practising at home is always a bonus, but make sure you don't get any carpet burns

I wouldn't worry too much about forgetting the moves either. From what I know about it, aikido is one of those arts that takes a relatively long time to get really good at, so don't feel bad because everyone else there is better than you As I'm sure you know the bowing is simply a show of respect to your teacher - bowing at the beginning and end of a class is one of the few 'traditional' elements we keep in Zhuan Shu Kuan, along with bowing when we enter/leave the room.

Oh and good luck with tomorrow's class! From the sound of things your muscles won't be recovered for a good few days yet

I hurt so much it's comical I stood up really quickly earlier then almost fell over.
    Anyway, when it comes to the rolls, i did practice a few from kneeling positions, but the ones that people were doing that the end of each move were from standing up, and i just kept backing out because i dunno.. something about going face-first into the floor doesn't appeal too much
    I can't really explain why i get so uptight about it, it just seems a long way down if i do something wrong and land on my head.
    I'm hoping i'll adapt pretty quickly as far as remembering to keep my hands and feet in sync, because yesterday i was fumbling round like an idiot
    When you started were you the only beginner too? If so, how long was it until you didn't feel retarded?

I really want to practise the rolling things, but i don't know how to get over this damn wimp-ness. It's really frustrating. Bah! Especially as instead of doing a roll i just land on my ass, so i can imagine on thursday when i go back to college and have to sit on hard chairs it's not going to be too comfortable.

I'm not going to back out of it all anyway, i'm far too much of a determined person. After lesson yesterday Sensei shook my hand and told me how brave i was starting where i didn't know anyone and a complete beginner, which made me feel a lot better
    And thanks for all your advice Archon

Give it a couple of weeks and I bet you'll be trying to figure out why you were so worried at the start! Is there anywhere you can use some mats with more padding so you're less worried about hurting yourself when rolling? It's the hardest thing to do, but the best way to get over this problem is to throw yourself into it, literally Bumps and bruises are all part of training in a martial art and I guess it's just something you get used to after a while.

Yeah I joined part way through the term at uni so it was at a different
    time to the rest of the beginners. MA students in general are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet though, and everyone made me feel welcome. Even when I just couldn't do certain techniques at all at first, no one made me feel stupid or unwelcome, and it sounds like there's a similar atmosphere at your club. I can't remember how long it was before I stopped thinking of myself as the new guy, but it'll end up being less time than you think. I'm still one of the more junior students in the class, but I feel like I'm part of the group now and can generally hold my own to a certain extent in sparring - it helps that most of the black belts are a lot smaller than me