Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts

Senior Member DreadfulFaeryFalls's Avatar

had a bit of an argument yesterday with someone who thought Aikido is actually useful for fighting/self defence
    Dont forget at one point in time these were all useful and effective - something got lost in translation i think.
    Current: Lobes at 14mm
    Tatotos: Bluebell at base of spine, winged heart with stars between shoulder blades

Retired: 3rd lobe,auricle and upper helix, both nipples, reverse navel, snakebites *sob*

True, it's the same with Taekwondo really - as soon as it became popular a lot of people started their own classes just to make money, and they don't really care that much about teaching it properly.

I just remembered about this TV series on the history channel called Human Weapon, where they go around loads of different countries and look at their traditional martial arts. The Krav Maga episode is on next weekend so you'll be able to get it via bit torrent a couple of days after that if you're interested.

All true martial arts are effective in their own way and aikido is certainly no exception (it's just a defensive art rather than a beat-the-crap-out-of-someone art), though as you say Edd most 'martial arts' clubs would 'teach' it as fancy aerobics.

I class myself as a martial artist (specifically kabukimono no ronin ;D ) as I both practice heavily and follow bushido closely. I'm pretty much self-taught in everything I practice, as I'm a practical artist and also highly unorthodox in style (through personal experience I have a fair amount of disdain for mass-produced McDojos).
    My main art is iaijutsu; I've been practicing the kata of Muso-Jinkiden Eishin-ryu iaijutsu for about five years now and am developing my own style from it. I've played around with kenjutsu, ni-to kenjutsu and tantojutsu over the years.
    I've been working on developing my own unarmed style for as many years now, taking influence from many arts - uke from shorinji kempo, strikes from, among others, pi gua zhuan/ ba gua zhan (slaps and palms), ukemi from aikido and have a little experience with good ol' BJJ. Overall it's probably best described basically as kempo with strikes influenced by kung-fu.

I'm starting aikido classes next monday, kinda nervous!
    They said as a rule all jewellery should be removed but i can cover over my three navel piercings, i'll take out my nostril as that doesn't close up, and the others on my ears and lip i'm changing to bars and retainers.

Senior Member DreadfulFaeryFalls's Avatar

class myself as a martial artist (specifically kabukimono no ronin ;D ) as I both practice heavily and follow bushido closely.
    werent ronin leaderless samurai that roamed about?? Just a random thought lol
    Current: Lobes at 14mm
    Tatotos: Bluebell at base of spine, winged heart with stars between shoulder blades

Retired: 3rd lobe,auricle and upper helix, both nipples, reverse navel, snakebites *sob*

Quote Originally Posted by Neon View Post
    All true martial arts are effective in their own way and aikido is certainly no exception (it's just a defensive art rather than a beat-the-crap-out-of-someone art), though as you say Edd most 'martial arts' clubs would 'teach' it as fancy aerobics.

I class myself as a martial artist (specifically kabukimono no ronin ;D ) as I both practice heavily and follow bushido closely. I'm pretty much self-taught in everything I practice, as I'm a practical artist and also highly unorthodox in style (through personal experience I have a fair amount of disdain for mass-produced McDojos).
    My main art is iaijutsu; I've been practicing the kata of Muso-Jinkiden Eishin-ryu iaijutsu for about five years now and am developing my own style from it. I've played around with kenjutsu, ni-to kenjutsu and tantojutsu over the years.
    I've been working on developing my own unarmed style for as many years now, taking influence from many arts - uke from shorinji kempo, strikes from, among others, pi gua zhuan/ ba gua zhan (slaps and palms), ukemi from aikido and have a little experience with good ol' BJJ. Overall it's probably best described basically as kempo with strikes influenced by kung-fu.
    That sounds really interesting! I have to admit there are certain elements of the style I train that I don't think are particularly effective, but all of the instructors are excellent fighters and it this stage in my learning I trust their judgement more than my own. If they want to teach hook kicks that's fine and I'll learn/practise them, but I'm not going to use them in sparring when a good old round kick does the trick so much more effectively! Do you train with others? You said you're mostly self-taught, but I'm assuming you've tested your methods in sparring/combat situations to practise and refine them.

Your mentioning BJJ reminded me how much I really want to get into it, but the nearest club to uni (Warwick, which is actually just outside Coventry) is in Birmingham, and it's also really expensive compared to my ZSK class. I might see if I can get a part-time job to finance it, as I've been wanting to take up a grappling art for quite a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by thevampireproject View Post
    I'm starting aikido classes next monday, kinda nervous!
    They said as a rule all jewellery should be removed but i can cover over my three navel piercings, i'll take out my nostril as that doesn't close up, and the others on my ears and lip i'm changing to bars and retainers.
    I'd be surprised if they let you keep any of your jewellery in. The thing is it's not just dangerous to you if anything gets ripped out, but you could cut comeone else if they catch a finger/toe on any of your piercings.

TKD (taekwondo) rules
    i am currently up to greenbelt and am going for my blue tag grading in 3 weeks!
    does anyone else strugle with Wan-yo
    i found it so complicated when i first started learning it!!!
    9 tattoos (forearms, shoulder, knees & calf)
    2 left lobe piercings
    Side lip labret - Retired

Coolest Banana on BJS 2007
    Stupidest Voter 2007

TKD is ok as long as you don't do point-sparring I did something similar once and found it so frustrating every time I stepped in to land a few punches and maybe took a light hit on the way in (which I don't mind doing), I was told to break it up and go back to my corner!

Default mma

you cannot go wrong with mma trainning my other half trains for and fights in the cage
    Love Pinks xXx
    Body Piercing Mummy to 4!

Saskia Alice, born 3rd March 2008
    Current:1xLip,4xtounge,1xmadonna,4xnavel,2xeyebrow ,1x nostril, 1x nipple,1x tragus,1xanit-tragus,1xscaffold,1xorbital scaffold,1x conch,5xhelix,5xlobe,4xauricule1xhood,1xwebbing,2x streched lobes,7mm,1xSeptum,2xsnakebites
    Skin diver wrist
    Retired 6x helix,6x lobe,1x nostril,1x nipple

PM me for: Autoclaving service
    http://piercedpinks.webs.com/

Correction: you cannot go wrong with decent mma training

If your other half is into cage fighting though then I imagine his training is pretty damn good! I'd love to get into some high-level competitions one day, but I know that's a really long way off for me at the moment.