Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts

If you did karate to brown belt standard and thought it was 'lame,' chances are your school was sh*t.

MidnightRaven, I've only got my lobes and tongue pierced now, but I had my nose and septum pierced and 3 in my lip when I started ZSK. Originally I would take them all out for training and then put them back in afterwards, but after a while I got a bit bored of doing this, and of the piercings themselves, so I decided to leave most of them out.

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteadybeats View Post
    I did Karate and got up to brown belt and then realised it was lame and didnt want to even bother going onto black.
    took you a long time to realise it was lame, sure there wasnt another reason you quit?

Sorry you did think it was lame.

Quote Originally Posted by archon_113 View Post
    MidnightRaven, I've only got my lobes and tongue pierced now, but I had my nose and septum pierced and 3 in my lip when I started ZSK. Originally I would take them all out for training and then put them back in afterwards, but after a while I got a bit bored of doing this, and of the piercings themselves, so I decided to leave most of them out.
    I have my lip and lobes, one of my lobe piercings I am streching back to 6mm. already upto 2mm in a week, from the fact i stretched them before.

I want more, but I want to be a black belt too..so the decision has been made to stick to my tae kwon do and now move onto tattoos!!! maybe a few more ear piercings that I know I can take out for TKD.

Still thinking about a surface on the back of my neck, but wondering if the head guard would rub on it.

Yeah I've pretty much decided not to get any more piercings, because they're just not important enough for me to want to give up MA. Moving onto tattoos is definitely tempting, but I'm not quite there yet

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightRaven View Post
    took you a long time to realise it was lame, sure there wasnt another reason you quit?
    The fact she didn't like it at brown belt standard suggests that it probably wasn't a very good school, and it may not have taken very long to get there. I know of a few MA schools in my area (most of them teach karate), who will give you a black belt after 18 months if you give them enough money.

no way! we have to be training in TKD for a minimum of 3 1/2 years before we can even think about grading for Black! Then of course there is getting upto red belt black stripe to then do the grading!

i am finding tkd challenging more so now i am a red stripe...but its made me more determined to go for it!

That's exactly the way it should be. Getting a black belt is a pretty big achievement and should take a long time to build up to, although as I'm sure you'll agree it is by no means the end of your training, as a lot of people seem to think It's so annoying not being able to train until october when uni starts again!

hehe im pretty lucky, im all year round training!
    i am due to start a part time uni course in september to do computer animation, and then continue my job as a media learning support officer at my local college until i become an animator!!!

My sister does Kempo, a form of Jujitsu or something. I can't remember. She's been doing it 2 or 3 years now I believe. She's on quite a high grading of belt to say she's 11. But if I put her in a headlock she wouldn't have a clue, so I doubt it'll come in useful if she ever gets attacked (in da ghetto we live in, obviously!). Haha. I really want to take up kick boxing, but i'm worried about my knees. I thought about getting sport supports for each, but i dont know how well they'll do me!
    winner of best other female modification 2007

Senior Member DreadfulFaeryFalls's Avatar

i really really want to find a Krav Maga class down here - now that is a useful martial art.
    Current: Lobes at 14mm
    Tatotos: Bluebell at base of spine, winged heart with stars between shoulder blades

Retired: 3rd lobe,auricle and upper helix, both nipples, reverse navel, snakebites *sob*

Anything that's used by the Israeli military is probably going to be fairly effective!

I had a bit of an argument yesterday with someone who thought Aikido is actually useful for fighting/self defence