Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts

Quote Originally Posted by archon_113 View Post
    Zhuan Shu Kuan is Chinese but also takes inspiration from TKD - as far as I know techniques like spinning hook/back kicks aren't used in most styles of Kung Fu, but we use them a lot. It's a fairly obscure art and I think the class I go to at Warwick uni is the only one in the country outside London.

Your comment about facial piercings makes it seem like you're allowed to keep them in during sparring.......surely this isn't right?

I have my lip and my ears pierced, we have to take piercings out, but my lip piercing is new so I cant take that out for another...ummmm...2 weeks I think I have left, then I will remove it for sparring. At the moment I can not do any contact sparring, if I do i have to wear a plaster and its at my own risk, but they are very strict about things! They have changed towards me since i got my piercings back! lol

I want to get a surface piercing on my neck, but I know I cant due to Tae Kwon Do...

Ahhh, the spinning kicks! lol The one thing I struggle soooo much with!!! lol

How often do you train?

During term time I train 3 times a week, for 2 hours on sundays and 1 and a half hours on tuesday/thursday. The whole piercings things is a bit of a problem, but the way I see it I'd rather carry on with martial arts than have more piercings, so it's easy for me to make a decision about that.

I love spinning kicks The only one I tend to use on its own (i.e. not part of a combination) is a spinning back kick with my right leg, as I'm a bit too slow with the others to land them. If you go to throw a round kick and someone backs out of the way though, I find it's such a natural movement to carry on turning and throw a spinning hook or back kick with the other leg

my face was a hook kick, just ebfore i ahd to quit it was the only one i could still do to reasonable height.
    In m prime I could do half a dozen or so, mixed with roundhouse kicks to the face before having to drop my foot down. *sigh*
    Ross
    Once known as ash_scotland88

You mean you'd do half a dozen kicks with one raise of the leg, without putting your foot down in between? I wouldn't have thought that sort of technique was encouraged in karate, it seems like more of a TKD thing to me. We don't like it much in ZSK either

it probally wasnt, I know half a dozen aint hat much, but when your holding your knew that high and piveting your hips between roundhouse and hook-kick it got a bit sore
    Ross

No I'm not saying it's not many kicks to do at once, just that it's not a very effective technique If you're not putting your foot down after each kick you're not getting very much power into the next one. If someone did that to me I'd just step into it and sweep their standing leg.

true.
    it was just fun to d at times cause i could do it and they couldnt. Its not a technique meant for power, its mroe something you do quickly to confuse them a bit.
    Ross

got tkd in half an hour!!! ahhh!!!

pleased to know there are others out there into piercings and martial arts!

What piercings/tats do you have archon?

I used to do Kickboxing many moons ago. Was about to go for my purple belt but then had to quit cause of a knee injury...stupid knee cap that didn't like hook kicks...

I did Karate and got up to brown belt and then realised it was lame and didnt want to even bother going onto black.

My Current Mods
    *Labret
    *Tongue
    *Lobe Left
    *Nose
    *First tattoo on wrist
    Bye Bye stretched ear!
    Currently Sporting a ROCKABILLY style jacket!
    Thanks DEBBIE! x